http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 01:58:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use a US Computer in the UK?  (Read 1105 times)
walTer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:07:57 PM »

First off, yeah first post- been at GG for years- a minor poster but one thing I found was the at the hardware forum was a great place for help...fingers crossed that CG is as well...slywink

The issue- it is way cheaper to buy a PC in the US- my Uncle would like to get one here and bring it back to England.

Most likely I will recommend a Dell only becuase of the ease of use, set up etc... (I get a lot of dell bashing but he cannot build his own, he is retired and frankly only wants email, internet, and some websurfing)---hmm maybe a new IMac....?

Anyway for half the price he can buy here but the issue is the voltage-- eg 110 vs 220.

possible fixes:

Use an adaptor-- I used one on my trip to recharge all my camera batteries and I did often leave it plugged in over night- but I don't know how stable they are and whether they can be used long term....

I know that powersupplies often have a switch- 110/220- so what if I flip the switch and get say a cable like this and just plug it in?

The final issue is the monitor- it needs 110 so maybe use an adaptor for that?

I imagine someone has had this issue before...hopefully you guys have some thought on this-- I really appreciate any help.
Sharpshooter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 05:39:16 AM »

I would recommend getting an power converter.  I used one for 6 months on my laptop while I was in Europe and never had a problem even though it was plugged in continuiously.  Other guys I knew did the same with their x-boxs and playstations and nothing went wrong as far as I know.   Just make sure you get a powerful enough converter otherwise you'll burn it out.

Make sure to check and see if your power supply will run 220.  You would probably just need an adaptor to convert your power cable to fit in the european style wall outlets
walTer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 12:20:34 AM »

See, I think your right- it really should be that easy.. my only issue would be:

1) using it as a full time machine- althogh really it wont be one for more than probably an hour  each day

2) getting a converter that will take the load...

Then again, it might just be easier to get one there and pay a bit more- if I can get a good price, and not have to worry about conversion issues.

I appreciate the reply... still scratching my head but at least I know it sould work.
thx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: