http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 07:58:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twitching...  (Read 1398 times)
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128532

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024

* TheAtomicKid stares carefully at the mailbox, patiently awaiting his prey, still several days journey away.

It has been four years, less one month, since my last system upgrade. Four very, very, very long, years. I do believe I can afford to come up with a few bucks at this point, even if it feels like misbehavior at the moment.

It has been over TWO years, since my last gpu upgrade. I tried to upgrade last March with a gigabyte-built GTX 560 super overclock unit, but wasn't satisfied with the build quality. (felt a little flimsy, and one of the fans ticked quite badly once the rpm's ramped up over 50% or so). Still using the previous card, which is another gigabyte-built super overclock unit... a gtx-260, which is still going strong.

So... we rebuild the heart, and see what that does to gpu performance with the gtx 260.. I suspect it will go up somewhat... this Q6600 based setup has always felt like it was a tad too slow to really make the card earn its lunch money, and overclocking the system does in fact get some minor returns, but the chip runs a little warm for comfort. (not in the least helped by my semi-passive setup in this box... case fans only, no other fans in the box barring the video card). Later this year I'll probably look at gpu replacement.

Thought about just upgrading the gpu one more time... but see previous comments about the cpu feeling a little slow. Not much point in spending that much money on a fancy new gpu, only to have it (mostly) idle because the cpu can't stress it.

Considered going with a standard sandy bridge / z68 setup, but wanted the extra pci-e lanes. I have a feeling, the new box will end up with at LEAST two gpu's in it, before everything is said and done. We'll see what that shape of the universe looks like when we get there.

For those who need a current comparison, my card is perhaps a tad bit faster than a radeon 5770, due to the overclock. However, it maxes out at directx 10.1, and tbh, it does directx 10.anything poorly. directx 9 does fine though. Just not at insane framerates smile

Atomic <-- whom loves his bells and whistles turned on in games, and has been going without, a little more each new game, for just a little too long. IT IS TIME TO TAKE BACK WHAT IS OURS.

PS: The Q6600 is currently angling to find a home in a dedicated HTPC setup. The semi-passive build works very nicely without generating a ton of noise.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »

Next time I do a pc build I'm having you design and assemble it. ;D

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »

Interesting that we're both upgrading from Q6600 based systems at the same time (in my case with dual 8800 GTs) but have taken very different approaches. I did consider going x79/2011 but I figured that another 4-5 years when I would want to upgrade again, intel would have already moved on to another slot type so I stuck with 1155. A few months from now, it might have been different.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »

If they hadn't come out with the 3820 chip, I would almost certainly have gone a different direction. The 3930K and the 3960X are just too expensive, and who the heck really needs 6/12 cores (hyperthreading, yo!) for a desktop/gaming system anyways? (I do HOPE this one comes back to haunt me biggrin)

Also up for consideration were the i5/2550k, the i7/2600k, and/or the 2700k, which is really a little too expensive. I passed on the 2550k because it's slightly more expensive than the 2500k, combined with the 'only' 6mb of onboard caching. And I passed on the 1155 in general because I dislike the intel onboard graphics, and I didn't feel like paying for a part I would almost certainly never use. Someone remember to nyahnyah me when my gpu goes out and I can't use my computer the next time it happens smile

In the end it was a combination of reasonable pricing, (though not the cheapest), lack of features I didn't want/need, and the presence of features I DID want/need (the extra pci-e lanes from the cpu, and the much larger L2 cache memory).

Way I figure it, if I get 4 years out of the upgrade, I did pretty good. That's actually twice the current planned longevity of parts in the system. (I'm supposed to be upgrading every other year for components. mobo/cpu/ram one year, then gpu the next. Needs adjustment to include storage upgrades, but those tend to either last longer, or not be as expensive, or both, so I tend to slip them in on the side)

Atomic
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

Yeah, I didn't even realize NewEgg had gotten the 2550 in stock (or the 3820 for that matter) until after I had bought the 2500. Interestingly, the mobo I picked has no video out, so if I were to lose my graphic card, I'd be in the same boat as you!

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »

Ok, all pieces are in, pre-assembled, and temporarily installed.

Win7 totally not capable of installing to raid0 on the intel chipset on this thing by default. Not totally surprised. Irritated because the install utility apparently can't spot the drivers on the gigabyte supplied disk. Or at least it wouldn't for me.

went ahead and installed it in ide/legacy mode for the moment, just to get it up and running. updated the firmware on my ssd's while I was at it. Interestingly enough the firmware update didn't destroy my existing data. sadly, windows was unbootable.

Something to note. The Noctua cooler I linked above... well, you think Misguided's little dinky one is big... heh. This thing could be used as a boat anchor. It's so big it barely, but sufficiently, blocks pci-e slot 1 on the mobo. Fortunately the mobo is smart, and can boot from any of its four slots. It's so big I almost couldn't get the motherboard into the case due to interference with things like the back end of hard drives, fans, inconvenient cabling, etc. Fortunately I powered up in hulk mode and used my gigantic boot^h^h^h^h^h managed to gently manuever it into place without breaking anything.

Basic note to anyone about to build a win7 machine using new hardware.. I knew this and thought I had enough without going to the trouble. BUILD YOURSELF A CDROM with at least the chipset/raid drivers for whatever motherboard you're installing to. Don't trust the vendor supplied disc, as it either might not work, or might be out of date, or both. It will save you a headache.

Got lucky with the motherboard bios. Even though it shipped with the f7 bios, which for those of you who care will look it up on the GB website, it was capable of spotting the 3820 chip, and running enough to load the newest bios from usb stick, which I prepared in advance, hoping I wouldn't need it. Since all new boards ship with at least F7, all new boards are capable of at least booting the 3820 and loading new bios code. This is definitely good, I wasn't looking forward to having to deal with this potential issue.

Oh yeah, that Noctua cooler? That thing is doing its job. Idle temps 27-32c, ambient is somewhere around 23c atm. a few minutes of hyperpi only get it to 50c. we'll pound on it more, later, after permanent installation. May try rotating cooler and see if that clears the first pci-e slot, do some adjustments to the fannage.

If anyone has any questions about anything specific, I'll try to answer.

Atomic
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

Atomic, I don't understand most of what you just said about the bios and such. I never put the CD that goes with the mobo in the drive but I haven't had any problems. I decided not to try updating the bios, because ASUS says not to unless you have a problem. I did make a USB thumb drive with the Catalyst drivers and a few others. I updated the LAN driver, but when I tried to update the on-board audio, it gave me a bunch of errors, so I didn't worry aout it.

I'm happy with the Noctua cooler btw, it was easier to install than I thought it would be. I still have to get the photos cropped and stuff then I'll put them in my thread.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

Basically, if windows isn't smart enough with what it has on disk, you need additional resources when it comes time to install. This basically happens if your motherboard chipset comes out significantly after windows is released. In my case, I can install in the 'standard' mode, but if I try to install to raid mode, I need special drivers.

Annoyingly enough, I downloaded the driver intel tells me I need, but after I reconfigured and tried to reinstall again, it doesn't actually work. Plus the message it's giving me is confusing anyways... it may be some kind of bug/error... we're coming back to it later. For now I'm just running in dual drive mode.

As far as bios goes, the only time you really have a problem with it, is if your motherboard doesnt have a recent enough bios to recognize the cpu you're trying to plug into it. After that it's mostly of interest to tweakers/overclockers. You usually won't need to mess with it.

Atomic
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »

Ah, I went into the bios and switched to RAID mode then installed OS7. After that, I installed the Smart Response Technology driver,  which didn't give me any trouble.

My understanding was that switching to RAID after installing Windows was scary bad juju.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »

Just decided to blurb in here, now that I've had the current build for a couple of weeks, as to things I might have done differently.

1: The noctua heatsink. My god is this thing huge... which would be ok, if I had double checked mobo compatibility first, but I apparently wasn't thinking it that far ahead at the time. Whilst the kit will physically mount to the motherboard, the heatsink requires so much real estate that it actually blocks the first pci-e slot. I can get by for now, but once I get around to upgrading gpu's (especially the 'more than one' intention for this time around), this is going to have to be resolved, as the entire point of upgrading to this motherboard, was having two full bandwidth pci-e 16x slots available, and directly attached to the cpu (otherwise I might have opted for an AMD solution instead)

2: see 1. that thing is huge. (and expensive).

3: still haven't resolved the raid issue I'm having with installation. pretty sure it's resolvable though, otherwise the boards would be loaded up with angry peoples. I just wasn't expecting to have to jump through hoops to get it working.

4: I did get a pretty noticeable improvement out of my gpu performance. Not world beating, but my max framerates in say, world of tanks, have improved from 70ish or so, up to 120+. And the average framerate has enjoyed an improvement from 45 or so, to 55 or so. It's noticeable. Apparently the Q6600 didn't have quite enough oomph to keep up.

Atomic
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

Yeah, that cooler is huge, which is why I opted for the slightly more sane one. I don't think that one would have blocked any PCI slots on my board, but The low profile memory might have been a necessity.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »

When you put the BIOS in RAID mode and try to install windows 7 does it not see your drives?  Windows has some older Intel RAID drivers on the disk.  If it doesn't work it is probably because x79 uses the iRSTe drivers (instead of iRST).  You should be able to download the driver package to a usb key and just click "have driver" on the screen where you select the disk you want to install windows to.  You may need to get what they call the F6 driver, not sure just throw both on the key.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »

Second note:  Your drives area connected to either the black (3gbps) or white (6gbps) ports NOT the grey ports, correct?  Working from the newegg picture but the grey ports are not using Intel SATA and could have their own complicated procedures.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:06:32 AM »

They are definitely connected to ports 2 and 3, which are the first two intel 3gbps ports (left the 6gbps ports empty for a reason), visually, and per the bios. The bios sees them connected, raid more or no.

When I boot the windows cdrom, it doesn't finish the preload, and never gets to the 'select where you want to install windows' crap. Instead it fails partially into startup, with a 'missing cdrom driver' message, and a window offering to let you select a location to look for drivers. mounted to x:, and it's the windows cdrom, of course.

Basically, it's some sort of error... I'm still working on it, or will be at a point in time when I can afford to spend time rebuilding the machine again. I don't feel that it's a hardware problem at this point. Or if it is, it's a really really interesting one.

Atomic
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »

Just looked up your Q6600 benchmarks... my Q9300 is listed there and only slightly faster. 70FPS more? You're gonna make me go do something stupid....

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »

Take the numbers with a grain of salt, they're human eyeball numbers, from watching the meter while playing. If your system is anything like mine, those numbers vary quite a bit, based on what is on screen at the time. BUT. The 'average' fps, seems to be up about 10 or so.

I actually got a heat warning from what I'm pretty sure was the gpu the other night. Low beep tone, slow, then faster, then repeating. At which point I quit out of WoT, but by the time I got a hardware monitor fired up, the gpu was only at 88c. (which is higher than normal 260's because a: this unit is factory overclocked and b: this units fan profile is altered for silent running)

I've actually had it at 90c before, which is really about as warm as I ever want to see it, and the alarm didn't go off at that point smile

Atomic

PS: your '70 fps more' comment is off from what I posted. Please re-read before purchasing anything smile ( went from what seemed to be a 45 fps average with occasional spikes up into the 70-90 fps land, to 55 fps average with spikes well above 120 fps)

PS2: I really like the new hardware, it's just not quite as fuss-free as the p45 system has been.

PS3: If you only ever run 1 video card, the socket 2011 platform is pretty much money not well spent. get a socket 1155 and enjoy the same levels of performance for less.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

I'd like a mainboard with 4+ 3.0 USB slots, and a decent number of SATA 6Gb/s drive connections.

I'd also like at least one or two 6gps drives. I'd consider going AMD to save money, but not at the expense of serious performance degradation.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »

Gotta update here. Pretty sure my 'heat warning' was a false alarm. The thing went off again tonight. Precisely at 11pm local, while I was sitting at the desktop. I _think_ there's a clock or something, hiding in a box under my desk, trying to fool me. Haven't found it yet.

*blushes a bit*

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »

Ok, got the thing re-installed with a functional raid-0.

Moving the drives to the first two ports, may or may not have fixed my 'missing cdrom' error. Not sure.

Add to that, apparently, out of the multiple f6 drivers I've tried, nothing I've downloaded has been detected by microsoft as compatible. However, there's a functioning driver on the Gigabyte disk, which of course, is attached to the intel drive controller which is set to raid mode, and thus, wasn't visible or useable to pull a driver from in order to.. yeah, catch-22 there.

During all this I pulled a Windows ISO image and loaded it to a USB stick to make it a little easier for the install. Added the driver from the gigabyte cdrom to that, and between all of the above, we were in business.

So basically my issues were, (possible, but I'm thinking unlikely) some sort of port error involving the sata 6 vs sata 3 ports.

Missing driver.. no really... due to not having a workable raid driver on the windows cdrom, it couldn't really spot the cdrom, while the bios was set to raid mode. So I forgive it this one.

This in spite of the fact that the intel information in their downloads area very clearly stated that I shouldn't need _anything_ with windows 7 to boot to a raid. Just setup the raid, insert the installation cd, and off we should have gone.

Missing driver caused by utter confusion over WHICH updated intel driver to download from the site. And unfortunately, gigabyte renames their drivers on the cdrom, and in their downloads area, so I couldn't even compare names.

The rest of the rebuild is continuing smoothly, now that I have a handle on exactly what was going on.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: