http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble accessing Google, SimHQ and more  (Read 2188 times)
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:27:35 PM »

I've never come across anything like this and wonder if you can help.

I use firefox with noscript and adblocker plugins, and have used the new versions since July or August with no problems. I have a LAN behind a router and both computers are having the same problem.

For about 6 days now, I haven't been able to use google. The last few days, I can't log on to gmail, either. I get a message that they have timed out.  I can't imagine that they are down for that long.  In addition, I don't see anything on the net about them having problems

In addition, I can't connect to SimHQ. I have about 40 sites I check weekly, and the others are working just fine.

I can use ask and clusty to search the web.

I ran scans with Avast, spybot and ad-aware and came up with nothing. I decided to uninstall avast on my main computer and installed avg, and It doesn't find anything wrong, but I can't access those sites.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »

Does the same thing happen with other browsers?
If yes skip the line directly below
Reset the browser to defaults and flush cache/cookies, make sure cookies are enabled for Gmail and Google

It may be a firewall issue if it recenetly updated so try disabling the firewall all together delete browser cache/cookies and try again.
Make sure cookies are enabled for Google and Gmail

If still no go try this:

Run a trace route to google.com and gmail.com  the command is tracert google.com
Write down the IPs that it resolves to. (The last IP listed)

Try to ping each of those IPs (It may fail if a site blocks ICMP requests, but Google does not do this)
If you have success then try to browse to it by IP
If you have success then its most likely a DNS cache issue on your computer or your router's cache

To clear your PCs cache
From command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns

To clear most routers cache you need to reset to factory default unless they have a clear cache function in the interface

The last thing on your end that could be happening is that a rogue program created a secondary host file or changed the host file, I will explain more if you get to that point.
You may also want to hook another computer to your router and see if the same thing happens, if so it may be the router (see reset to defaults)

I hope that helps you

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »

Thank you DamageInc -

I'll start following your instructions and report back when I see how it works out.

I did try using IE6 and got the same result.  I haven't gone with IE7 because of the horror stories I've heard.

I do have two computers on my LAN behind the router, and they both have the same problem, which makes the router look like it could be the problem, but I'll follow the steps before that and try to sort this out.

Thanks again!  I appreciate you taking the time to give a hand.
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »

Many thanks for your help already!

I think I see what's wrong - but I don't know how to fix it.

I ran tracert (which I never heard of before today) and if I do it for gamingtrend.com or another site that I can connect to, the first hop is  (quote) dsl router [192.168.1.1] (end quote)

but if I run it for one of the sites that I can't connect to - google.com, gmail.com, simhq.com, etc. the first hop is just 192.168.2.1 All the following hops just get the result "request timed out"

If I type 192.168.1.1 into my browser I get my modem interface.

If I type 192.168.2.1 into my browser I get my router interface.

OK - when you have the time to respond, what do I do next?  Do I do a manual reset on the router? I don't see anywhere in either the router (linksys) or modem (westell) interface for clearing cache.

ps - how do you write down that last IP in tracert?  As soon as it hits that last IP, the whole command window disappears.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »

instead of running the tracert line from the run window, run "cmd" first.  this will bring up a command window and you will not lose the display once it's done.

and yeah, it looks like your router is conflicting with your modem for routing/dns data.  you could try the ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns options.

one question though.  how is your modem and router connected? 

it usually goes like this: 

wall ---- modem ---- router ---- PC 1
                                       ---- PC 2
                                       ---- PC 3, etc.

if that's the case, then it seems like your router is not passing the proper dns/routing info downstream to your pc.  try this:
power off modem and router.  turn the modem on and wait until every thing is back to normal (status lights are green, activity light blinking, etc) then turn the router on and wait for it to do its thing.  once that's done, your pc will reconnect and get an ip address, dns, etc.  do your tracerts to check

if that's not how you have it configured, then let us know.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:46:42 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Caine.  I'll keep it on hand for future reference.

Problem resolved after I made it even worse.

I guessed that my next step might be to manually reset the router.  After that, I lost all connections, and I couldn't access either the router or the modem.  I tried resetting the modem, shutting off the modem and computer, etc. but I had no connection, so I called tech support.  I got a good guy and we reset it all and everything is running fine now.

So thanks again to DamageINC and Caine.  I appreciate your help.  And Caine - that's the setup I have.

ps now that I have everything up and running, do you know of a website that has a good recommendation for security settings on the router?  I found this page with google  icon_biggrin
http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeControls/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=49176  What do you think of his advice?
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »

One more thing -

I visit this site for deals http://www.gotapex.com/

When I click on a link, I get a message similar to this -  Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.kqzyfj.com

What's up with that?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 01:14:46 AM »

it's all solid advice for wireless routers.  i take it you have one or more pc's running over wireless?  when you configure the wireless settings, use a pc hooked up via cat5 cable or you could find yourself partially locked out of your router biggrin 

if you aren't going to use the wireless, turn off the radio/remove the antenna. 

as for www.kqzyfj.com being blocked, i would venture you have spybot installed?  or something similar at least as it looks like an immunized site by that program.  it was immunized because of possible links with spyware and the like, specifically a company called Commission Junction and the cookie that site sets.  did a google search and found this bit here, so you should take a look. 

when you say you reset the router, did you hit a reset button on it or just power off?  sounds like you wiped the settings completely.  i'm sorry if you did that on my advice. 

last bit of advice for now.  once you get your router configured the way you like it, see if you can make a backup of the settings to a file.  some models have this feature.  it's very helpful if you find yourself starting from scratch.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »

EDIT:  This is what I get for not reading the whole thread Tongue

Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 26, 2008, 01:14:46 AM

it's all solid advice for wireless routers.  i take it you have one or more pc's running over wireless?  when you configure the wireless settings, use a pc hooked up via cat5 cable or you could find yourself partially locked out of your router biggrin

Actually, I have both computers connected with cat5 to the router.  When my kids come to visit every other month or so, they like to use their laptops when they are here, so I want it to be secure when I turn it on for them.  Also, should I look at any other site to see what I should do for security?

if you aren't going to use the wireless, turn off the radio/remove the antenna. 

as for www.kqzyfj.com being blocked, i would venture you have spybot installed?  or something similar at least as it looks like an immunized site by that program.  it was immunized because of possible links with spyware and the like, specifically a company called Commission Junction and the cookie that site sets.  did a google search and found this bit here, so you should take a look. 

Yes, I have Spybot and AdAware- thanks for finding the link.  I'll look at it after I send this message.

when you say you reset the router, did you hit a reset button on it or just power off?  sounds like you wiped the settings completely.  i'm sorry if you did that on my advice. 

Yes, I used the reset button.  It ended up being no problem, because everything is running great now.  I did note Caine's advice as well as yours about this and will remember to just power it off in the future - If I have any problems again.  It's been more than a year since I had internet problems - which has been very nice.  In the past, it has been worse.

last bit of advice for now.  once you get your router configured the way you like it, see if you can make a backup of the settings to a file.  some models have this feature.  it's very helpful if you find yourself starting from scratch.

Great - I'll look for that.  Once again - Thanks so much!

[/size][/size]
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:11:25 AM »

I am glad it ended up working out for you.

I use WPA for security, I dont broadcast my SSID, and I lock down my IP scope
Run a decent software firewall and AV and I haven't had a virus or issue in years. /knocks on wood

I dont read the forums that often (once a day) so I apologize for the late reply.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: