http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:05:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of trying a.... <gulp> Macbook  (Read 1233 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »

so, since I have some expendable income and look to be doing some traveling later this summer I was thinking of getting a laptop for travel purposes. even though I could go much higher, I'm limiting myself to around $1000 bucks and was glancing at the recently refreshed Macbooks.  now since I have never really paid attention to anything Apple beyond the iPod, iPhone and iPad (which isn't what I'm looking for at this time) I wasn't sure what the big difference between a Macbook and the Macbook Pro series is.  glancing at the specs I'm guessing it's just speed and memory?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »

the biggest difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro is size and construction...but there are significant performance differences as well.  the regular MacBook is available only with a 13" display and plastic body, while the MacBook Pro is available in aluminum unibody 13", 15" and 17" models.  the base MacBook is also limited to the older Core2 Duo processor, so you have to go with the Pro if you want the newer i5/i7 chip.  depending on your intended use, however, the performance difference may not be a big issue.  the MacBook is a good option if you're just looking for something small to do basic computing.  i have a last-gen MacBook Pro with a 2.5gHz Core2 Duo and it's plenty fast for most uses...just comes up a little short for the latest games, although i have run Crysis on it surprisingly well. 

if you're really interested in a Mac laptop and have an Apple store nearby, i would recommend stopping by to see the difference in form factor, appearance, and size between the different options.  i won't hesitate to recommend one though...had mine for a little over year and it's great.  i'm not a hardcore Mac user, but i love my MacBook Pro just because it packs so much into a more compact and easy-to-use package than just about anything else on the market.  you may be paying a premium, but i think mine has been worth every penny.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »

thanks disarm.  looks like there is indeed an Apple Store nearby (although the first search I did on Apple's store locator didn't show anything until I deselected everything but 'mac'), hopefully I'll have a chance to check it out this weekend.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:16:14 AM »

Not all Macbook Pro's have the Core i CPU's the 13 inch models stick with the Core 2 Duo's.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2010, 03:07:11 PM

thanks disarm.  looks like there is indeed an Apple Store nearby (although the first search I did on Apple's store locator didn't show anything until I deselected everything but 'mac'), hopefully I'll have a chance to check it out this weekend.

Some of the Best Buys have "Apple Shops" in them staffed with an Apple employee if that is closer for you smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 05:39:12 PM »

I was going to go out looking this weekend but now it might pay to hold off a week or so since there's speculation that refreshes to Macbook Pro and Macbook Air are coming.

Because I can,
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »

They just refreshed the Macbook Pro.  The article your'e referencing is talking about the Mac Pro, which is a workstation.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »

D'OH!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »

now that i've used one for work over the last two months, i plan on making my next laptop a pro. 

with windows 7 bootcamped on it.  biggrin

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »

You might want to consider a netbook if you want something convenient while traveling, it's like carrying a hardcover book. I barely notice the difference when it's in or out of my backpack.

I'm excited to take it on my trip to the Middle East this summer.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:52 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 28, 2010, 09:12:16 PM

now that i've used one for work over the last two months, i plan on making my next laptop a pro. 

with windows 7 bootcamped on it.  biggrin

I bought one of the new i7 15" MacBook Pros when they refreshed in April.  First thing I did was install Windows 7 on it...

...and I rarely boot to it.  OSX does a way better job of managing battery life.  I use it mainly for work related purposes and the OSX side handles that just fine.  Only when I want to play games do I head to Win7, and now with Steam on OSX we'll likely see more games released for it.  It does make an excellent Windows machine, though.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »

Try out an alienware M11x...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 31, 2010, 06:05:29 PM

Try out an alienware M11x...

This is what I use every day.  It's 4.5 lbs and can play Borderlands, Fallout3 and Dragon Age.

Hell, I can even run through Dalaran in WoW at high framerates.   thumbsup
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2010, 11:23:30 PM

so, since I have some expendable income and look to be doing some traveling later this summer I was thinking of getting a laptop for travel purposes. even though I could go much higher, I'm limiting myself to around $1000 bucks and was glancing at the recently refreshed Macbooks.  now since I have never really paid attention to anything Apple beyond the iPod, iPhone and iPad (which isn't what I'm looking for at this time) I wasn't sure what the big difference between a Macbook and the Macbook Pro series is.  glancing at the specs I'm guessing it's just speed and memory?

The new MacBooks are nice. The white plastic enclosure isn't as sexy as the aluminum of the Pro line, but the machines are absolutely first-rate. We got my brother one of the last generation MacBooks for Christmas, and he's loving it. Were I to buy a Mac tomorrow, it'd be the white plastic MacBook. You lose the fit and finish of the 13" aluminum model and the SD card reader, but I don't think those two features are worth the price difference. Speed across the board is going to be sufficient for almost any mainstream use on any of Apple's laptops.

If you get it and are anywhere near Dallas, I can probably hook you up with some good software, too. :-)

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »

Actually if you want to lock in to $1000, the Macbook is perfect right now - they just updated recently:

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Buyer%27s_Guide

The guide over at macrumors is excellent and tracks when everything released.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »

Sort of off-topic, but they just released new Minis and they are very cool. The HD unfortunately died in my old Mini, so I had soured on them, but the new ones are even smaller, have no power brick and (hallelujah) have a door on the bottom for replacing RAM instead of the old putty knife method.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »

And they have built-in HDMI out, so that you can stream content from iTunes or Netflix directly to your HDTV through them.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

figured I'd give an update on this:

Quote from: Ridah on May 30, 2010, 02:42:50 AM

You might want to consider a netbook if you want something convenient while traveling, it's like carrying a hardcover book. I barely notice the difference when it's in or out of my backpack.

I'm excited to take it on my trip to the Middle East this summer.

I went this route.  it fits perfectly with the bag I use for travel.  I went with a HP Mini (not the HD one, kinda kicking myself for missing those but it's not a biggie) and it works pretty good once I got all the bloatware off of it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: