http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:16:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about learning Python  (Read 964 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »

I've been poking around at it, and I'm getting the itch to learn it.  It seems fairly powerful.  What does the hivemind think?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »

We use it for generating some real code here at work.  slywink  It just does the grunt work of generating our basic message header and cpp files from an xml that it parses.

I've messed with our python scripts a bit and as someone who has used C/C++ extensively it seems a bit goofy and not as powerful.  Those that have used it a lot seem to think that it is pretty swell.  I'm sure given enough time and experience I could get used to it.

What sort of stuff were you looking to use it for? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:08:45 AM »

Games.  I know Civ 4 was built with it, but I want a language that enables me to make some really simple applications and gives me a little flexibility.  I would also like to hover.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:52:03 AM »

I would guess that the majority of Civ4 was written in C++ with Python used for scripting and such.  Actually I just looked on Wikipedia and is says that "Major parts of the interface, map generation, and scripted events are written entirely in Python and can be customized."  We use Lua for similar functions.

I'm sure there are people who write games in Python, but I would be surprised to see any commercial products that do (perhaps excepting some puzzle games or something). 

Mabye I should just shut my mouth, though, since I really don't have worthwhile experience with Python. 

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 05:22:53 AM »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, we do nothing at all with Python at my work, but it's definitely got the most apropos O'Reilly cover, so that's a point in its favor, right?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 15, 2008, 02:52:03 AM

I'm sure there are people who write games in Python, but I would be surprised to see any commercial products that do (perhaps excepting some puzzle games or something). 

Not quite what you mean, but if I recall correctly Eve Online's entire networking code is written in Python.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 17, 2008, 11:19:11 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 15, 2008, 02:52:03 AM

Not quite what you mean, but if I recall correctly Eve Online's entire networking code is written in Python.

That's right, I was actually just talking with a colleague who said Eve uses some form of stackless Python, which I have even less knowledge about.  Might be worth your time to check into that, Lee. 

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:07:34 AM »

If you want to do game programming in Python you might want to look at PyGame.  It's a Python code library for creating games.  I'm no programmer but I've messed around with a number of languages and Python is one of my favorites.  If you've never programmed before it's a good place to start.

(HBZ)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: