http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:57:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The wonderful world of WiFi  (Read 1282 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »

We have a wired home network: cable -> 4 port router -> 2 PCs). We recently purchased these nifty Nintendo DS Lites and were looking to get them going through our network.

Being warry of WiFi (security, setup, interferences, etc) I hadn't kept up with all the different devices and hookups for it but would like to now. I've read up on it but there's too much information to know exactly what I need for my setup and I'm not sure what is possible or not.

I don't want to replace my current wired network with a wireless one. Is there a way to create a WiFi connection point through my current wired network? Also is there a way to do this where I don't need the computers on for the connection to to still work with my WiFi devices?

Specifically can I hook up an adapter to broadcast the signal from my wired router and have the DS connect through that? Would a wireless bridge do that? Or is a gaming adapter better? (I'm not positive what the differences are between the two). Is one more secure than the other or offer faster response?

I would like to keep things as simple as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:34:20 PM »

Nintendo themselves makes a USB device specifically for hooking up the DS to an otherwise wired network. Not sure of a name or link offhand, but I know they have one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
I would like to keep things as simple as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

That's the key for me as well.  I bought the Nintendo Wireless Adaptor, plugged it into a USB port and I was good to go.  The downside is I have to keep the computer on when using it and it doesn't let any other devices connect wirelessly.  But if all you're looking to do is connect your DS's it's the no-brainer solution.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802254
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »

Thanks guys.

I did read about the adapter but had discounted it as I would like a more future proof setup -- in case I purchase a 360/Wii/other wi-fi compatible hardware, somewhere down the road.

So that's why I mentioned the bridges and gaming adapters which look like they may get what I want done but I don't know enough to tell for sure.

What are the other options where I don't have to scrap the wired network I currently have active?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »

Check the models here and then look at the specific websites.

Also, if you find a game adapter you like try looking for it on Google to see if it is compatible.  There are several that are compatible that don't show up on the Nintendo WiFi site.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:26 AM »

I didn't know where to put this, so why not here?  icon_smile

I bought a Linksys G WiFi router so I could use my Acer Aspire One around my condo. It works great, the set up was easiest I've ever had with this type of thing.

This is a new low profile thingie with internal antennas. The bottom of the unit is a little warm for my tastes, so I wanted to put some sort of small rack below it to get it off the desk and give it some room to breathe underneath. I couldn't really find any computer gadgets to do that.

So I spent some time at Target today scouring their sections for any kind of thing. And finally, in the living room knickknacks section, it revealed itself to me....

A metal napkin holder, about $6!  saywhat

The funny thing is, it fits so well on it, it's like it was *designed* for it.  icon_cool The rack, ne napkin holder, has a grid like design that makes it ideal for running cables through if you so desire, as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:33:00 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »

The DS only supports WEP encryption which is easily broken.  I would NOT run a WEP encrypted network with any PCs on it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »

If you mean that DS Wi-Fi dongle I mentioned in another thread, I had to "system restore" my PC because the lousy thing messed up some settings, and I don't plan to reinstall or use it again.

The Linksys uses WPA2, fwiw.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: