http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 06:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The state of Vista 64 sound  (Read 942 times)
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »

Since EAX harware support no longer works in Vista, what is the best route with sound these days.  Is on board sound good enough?  How much of a performance hit do you take if you use Alchemy to have software EAX enabled?

I am interested in your thoughts and would welcome a link to information/debate on this.
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »

IMO I think onboard is fine.  It's come a long way.  I'd rather spend souncard $ on videocards.

morlac00 on PSN
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

I definitely agree with Morlac here.  No reason not to use onboard sound unless you really want to purchase a separate sound card.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:51:19 AM »

My solution to sound with Vista (or rather, with Server 2008 in 'workstation' mode), was to utilize my Plantronics usb headset. There are no drivers yet for my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 at any rate, and as the OP said, with anything resembling positional audio non-functional at the moment, barring  Creative Labs new Alchemy package, I saw little reason to invest in another sound card when I built the second box. Especially moreso since Alchemy only works with Creative Labs cards (naturally, can't blame them), and I avoid anything from them like the plague. Their hardware is great. Their software... leaves much to be desired.

Also, drivers were a cinch.. they come with the OS smile

Is the sound quality up to my M-audio or other solutions? Nah.. I originally bought the Plantronics for voice comms, a function at which they excel... plus they're comfortable. But until the situation with sound and Vista changes, I'm not wasting my money.

TAK
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »

PS: Don't get me wrong. I actually understand why Microsoft changed the sound layer in windows the way they did. A truly huge percentage of windows 'crashes'... actually occur due to bad audio code... and since before Vista sound drivers ran in kernel mode, when the drivers crashed, they took the kernel with it. Blue Screen city, as they say. Changing the sound to run in user mode was a smart move... it just broke some things temporarily.

TAK
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »

Yeah I'm using Vista 64-bit (although I'm generally pleased, see my ramblings in the "another reason not to buy Vista" thread), and the onboard audio (RealTek High Definition Audio) has been fine, and audio has been impressive in stuff I've played (Age of Conan at the moment; but I've played Call of Duty 4, Gears of War PC, Bioshock, Company of Heroes and City of Heroes, among other things, with it).

I did invest in a X-Fi card on my old PC but haven't felt any need to try to move it over.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: