http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:13:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching from AMD to Intel processor - what do I need to think about?  (Read 292 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »

It's looking more likely that there won't be another AM3+ socket processor until at least 2015, if ever, so I need to seriously consider moving to Intel. I might not do this until the holidays, but in case I get impulsive, I want to think about what I'll need to do.

First of all, I have an OEM version of Windows, so I believe I'm going to have to buy a new copy, correct? So this will mean wiping my boot drive (SSD), I guess. And since I have Steam game on my secondary drive I'll probably just want to wipe that drive too unless there is way to link up to installed Steam games when you install Steam?

Anything else? I'll obviously have to get a new motherboard, but I don't foresee any compatibility issues there with video card, cd drive, etc.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »

You be best served by re-installing the OS.  by OEM, you mean 'came with AMD PC', is that right?  I haven't had to attempt this myself, but you might be ok with the new MB/CPU.  worth a try at least.  It may be possible to do a process called sysprep and make the existing install generic so it would recreate what's known as the machine SID, but then you'd have to deal with the legacy of the old system.  Plus, the OS generally performs much better with a fresh reinstall. 

as for Steam, you don't need to reinstall everything.  I've backed up a bunch and not through Steam itself.  I'll detail it out more when I get home with my Steam pc, but if you save the folders where they are stored plus the config file Steam uses to ID it, you can move them back in after Steam is installed.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »

No, I mean I bought the OEM version from Newegg. From what I understand the OEM version can only be activated on a single motherboard without paying to renew the license.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 13, 2014, 09:22:50 PM

No, I mean I bought the OEM version from Newegg. From what I understand the OEM version can only be activated on a single motherboard without paying to renew the license.
Not really, you should be able to re-use it. You also may get away with dropping the old drive in the new PC and just having to load new drivers. You may have to re-activate it and might have to call in to MS, but if you do, just tell them you had to reload because of a system error.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:08:01 AM »

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/extend-the-windows-7-trial-from-30-to-120-days/

Use this until until you get your new/rebuilt machine in final trim, that way you're not continuously reactivating if you have driver issues, or other installation problems.

Atomic

PS: Steam has a backup function
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:11:05 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: