http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSD tweaks and moving W7 user folders  (Read 394 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »

So I just reformatted my computer and I'm looking to keep things a bit more organized this time, and help deal with some issues I ran into using my 3D software. I use this as both my primary work computer, and gaming computer (sadly, not seeing as much use as that lately).

My current setup is:
SSD1 as C: with OS and most programs, including all my work
HD1 as D: my generic storage drive, including my Google Drive
HD2 as E: my large storage, things like uncompressed video frames, rendering output, etc. Also includes my DropBox folder
SSD2 as G: for games and other things I want to load fast, but aren't important

First thing I need is what SSD tweaks to use? I had a list and this software from TheAtomicKid last time I built a new PC, but I've forgotten everything and can't find the thread.

Second, I want to move all the "Library" type folders that Windows 7 uses onto my D drive, and do so in such a way that bypasses any poor programming in software. I have a lot of weird software that, even after moving Documents folder over to the D: drive by using the Library properties on Documents and adding/removing folders, they'll still try to use the folder on C: under Users.

Other situations, such as when syncing 3D project folders between my home and laptop PCs, it leads to incorrect file paths since my laptop only has a C drive.

I read something about using a linking console command? I think it was "mdlink /j" or something? I'm very sure I want all documents to be on the D drive.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:16:28 AM by Turtle » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »

http://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=SSD-Tweaker

That's the link to the latest version of the software that I most likely recommended to you at the time. (without digging up the original thread)...

You can do (pretty much?) everything it does, manually... this just saves time. As a matter of fact, I'm about to update mine and see if it offers anything new.

Atomic
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 12, 2014, 04:46:13 AM

I read something about using a linking console command? I think it was "mdlink /j" or something? I'm very sure I want all documents to be on the D drive.

It's the "mklink" (make link) command used to create symbolic links. Lots of information out there on using it in DOS but found this article where your situation is being discussed.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:05:16 AM »

Hey, just started reading this...

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/

(don't be fooled by the link name... win7 is apparently included)

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: