http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:27:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speakers too quiet with headphones plugged in  (Read 1675 times)
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »

I use my built-in Realtek sound.  All of my actual sound cards lack decent Win7 support.

I have a set of 5.1 Logitech speakers (powered), and I also have a set of 5.1 Zalman headphones (unpowered.)  Both use three plugs for audio (front, back, and center.)  The back of my PC case isn't easily accessible, so the only practical way to have both plugged in is to use three Y-splitters, one for each pair of plugs. 

The problem is, if I have the headphones plugged in, the regular PC speakers are very, very quiet, although the headphones sound fine.  I have all of the relevant control panel options at max, and turn the speakers up to max, and can still only barely understand vocals in games.  When I had a separate sound card this was never an issue, but now it drives me nuts. 

I have a feeling that the onboard sound just isn't putting out enough oomph to run both.  Do I have any options here?
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on May 20, 2011, 09:46:01 PM

I have a feeling that the onboard sound just isn't putting out enough oomph to run both.  Do I have any options here?

Based on your description, I doubt very much it's fixable without getting a new soundcard.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:44:55 AM »

Three cheap headphone amps?
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:22:56 AM »

Check around for an audio switch that will do the trick. Normally they're used for tv setups etc where you dont use an amplifier as the 'center', but might suffice in this case. Aka single input, and then output to a:b:c: etc, via pushbutton switch, usually.

Atomic

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=audio+switch&x=0&y=0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:30:04 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »

Audio switches almost always introduce noise. Whether that bothers you or not will depend heavily on how picky you are. If you're not then it's a good suggestion.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on May 21, 2011, 08:50:30 AM

Audio switches almost always introduce noise. Whether that bothers you or not will depend heavily on how picky you are. If you're not then it's a good suggestion.
Yeah, for a long time I used the Andrea Audio Controller MC-100, fwiw:
http://www.andreaelectronics.com/buy/ProductDesc/MC100.htm

Nowadays I use a cordless Plantronics rechargeable headset, which, alas, won't work with the switch.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: