http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker Recommendation  (Read 3026 times)
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »

Ok, so I picked up a pair of Altec Lansing VS4121's last week, and I think I'll be returning them. While it does have clear sound, the bass is overwhelming, with no real depth,  and there's no real midrange resulting in a tinny sound. Some of the subtleties I heard on my previous set of speakers (Altec Lansing ACS33's) are lost on these. I listen to a wide variety of music, so a good range is important.

I was looking at the Altec Lansing VS 2421 as they seem closest to the ACS33's. I'm not looking to spend much. I already paid $100 CND for the 4121's and that's pretty much the limit on what I'm willing to spend. I'm also not looking to buy 5.1's. Just a good overall 2.1 Speaker system. So, I'm wondering if anyone has anything to recommend in particular. I heard that the Logitech 2.1's weren't that great, but then again, this was coming from the person who convinced me to go with the 4121's. All he was showing us was music with lots of bass.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »

Im not up on current models these days but Id look at Logitech over anyone.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »

Bang for the buck I'd also say give the various Logitech models a listen.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »

Under $100, I'd have a look at the Logitech Z-4

Check out the customer feedback on those. I have the Logi Z-5300's and they kick ass.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:41:51 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 27, 2008, 02:40:52 AM

I have the Logi Z-5300's and they kick ass.

+1 ... and 5 year warranty.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:39:47 AM »

Hmmm, Canadians can't order from that site. And upon looking, those speakers sell for around $139 CND elsewhere. Cheapest I've found it for is $116.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:46:09 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »

I'll also +1 the Logitech Z-series.  I've got them for both of my PC's (Z-5500 & Z-5300 - the 5500 are definite overkill for gaming purposes, so don't waste your money on those). 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 27, 2008, 02:41:51 AM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 27, 2008, 02:40:52 AM

I have the Logi Z-5300's and they kick ass.

+1 ... and 5 year warranty.

Sorry, I have Z-5500 digitals. Tongue

Here's a decent place for Canadians to get the Z-4 for 84bux (+sh+tax), but at 108 bux you could get the Z5300E which is a beautiful speaker system with good sound. NCIX is my favorite online retailer.

You could also shop tigerdirect.ca instead and get yourself a white pair of T-4i's.

Depending on the province, NCIX doesn't charge PST as they have no local shop (in Manitoba at least). YMMV.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »

Well, I went to take a look at the Z-4 in a store and I wasn't particularly impressed as I saw many of the same problems. I ended up not buying them. It seems to be a trend these days. I just don't particularly feel like they make speakers and subwoofers like they used to, where the sound was even with the subwoofer supporting the sound rather than it being there to just add loud booming. There just isn't any depth. In-game sounds are rather hollow/empty sounding on these. I want roar, not whimpers. And not necessarily from big huge subwoofers that don't really do much.

I might spring for some Bose, though they don't come with a subwoofer, but it might not need them.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:00:58 AM »

Z5500's kick all kinds of ass. biggrin

300bux from either NCIX or TigerDirect; NCIX has 25bux shipping. You could run down to Future Shop and fuck them over get them to price match it. icon_twisted

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:51:23 AM »

For 2.1 speakers I have these and the sound is terrific.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4148283&st=klipsch&lp=2&type=product&cp=3&id=1051384267922

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »

From what I've read, Altec Lansing doesn't make 'em like they used to.
In 1997, I bought a pair of Altec Lansing ACS500 speakers that came with the ACS250 subwoofer. The set was $375 at the time. I'm still using them, and they still kick all kinds of ass. They seriously rival my big Fisher livingroom set.

If you've got your heart set on Altec Lansing, I'd recommend finding a nice set of those on eBay for around $75 last time I checked.

If you go new though, you're going to need to actually test some various ones out with your own ears and media of your choice. I've been looking for a set of good speakers for one of my other computers, and nothing in the $100 range (that I've listened to in various stores--though I haven't listened to them all) can even touch my old Altecs.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:08:41 AM »

Back when I got my speakers we went down to Best Buy and listened to a bunch of sets. I dont know if they still do it but back then they had many sets out and hooked up for testing.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on May 29, 2008, 01:51:23 AM

I have the 4.1 version of these Klipsch speakers and I wouldn't trade them for anything.  The sound is clean and the bass range is from "pleasant" to "destroy your downstairs neighbor's sanity".  These speakers sound much bigger than their size.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 08:26:13 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on May 29, 2008, 02:42:46 AM

From what I've read, Altec Lansing doesn't make 'em like they used to.

Yeah, that's what I heard too, but I refused to believe it, as I thought, how bad could it really be? I loved my pair of ACS 33's. Great sound with a subwoofer that wasn't overpowering, but delivered a nice rich sound. I thought for sure, they must of improved on this, but instead I've found they kind of went backwards. You still have a subwoofer, yet it doesn't really seem as effective as they used to be, even though they're bigger. What I'm looking for in a subwoofer is depth and midrange.

In general, all 2.1's in the industry seem to be going in the same direction. Lack of midrange, focus on subwoofer, which get bigger and bigger, yet nothing in the middle, so most sounds that need a midrange end up sounding tinny/empty/hollow. I noticed it on the 4121's, and I noticed it with the Logitech Z-4 they had on display. Music kind of sounded OK, but engine sounds sounded more like whimpers. Same thing with stuff like voices in a game. To hear someone, like in LOTR, I had to turn it way up, which then made everything else too loud. 

I've also noticed them saying you need a good soundcard to get them most of them, which frankly I think is unfair. I mean, not everyone can afford a good soundcard. Most of the onboard sound these days does it fine for most people. I just want a set of speakers that work good regardless of what you have it hooked up with.  Good speakers should be able to stand on their own.

So, tomorrow I'm looking at a pair of Bose.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »

In years past an onboard sound chip was a terrible thing. It sounded small and tinny and worst of all it hogged the cpu. But lately they seem to be a good alternative to a sound card. They sound much better and use much less cpu time. Really not a problem with todays big cpus anyways. I use a sound card cause I like the sound myself and the gaming seems better to me. I tried my onboard sound but it was muffeled. Might be just my bad luck though.

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on May 29, 2008, 08:26:13 PM

I've also noticed them saying you need a good soundcard to get them most of them, which frankly I think is unfair. I mean, not everyone can afford a good soundcard. Most of the onboard sound these days does it fine for most people. I just want a set of speakers that work good regardless of what you have it hooked up with.  Good speakers should be able to stand on their own.

I've got my old Altec ACS500/250 combo hooked up to a cheap old Creative card. Can't remember what it was called, but those cards were very common for years. Still sounds fantastic.
Before that, they were hooked to a Packard Bell PII 266 with onboard sound. STILL sounded fantastic. They stood up just fine on their own. Damn. I really should consider hitting eBay for another set.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »

Oh man AL used to make some kick ass speakers!  I bought the Altec Lansing ACS 48's several years ago and that was the best speaker purchase I ever made.  They died last year and I almost cried.  frown

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-ACS48-Computer-Speakers/dp/B00000JBJF

Some of the beefiest speaker equipment that you could find for the price.  If you can find some of these in the wild then snap them up if what you are looking for is the best 2.1 speaker system.   
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

I picked myself up a pair of Bose Companion II's, and they sound great! Best part about it? You don't even need a subwoofer, seriously. The way the sound is channeled makes a subwoofer an unnecessary thing. And the awesome thing is, the tone is very similar to my old Altec Lansing ACS 33's, with pretty much the same amount of bass. So anyone finding themselves disappointed like me in 2.1's these days, you should seriously consider getting a pair of these.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 09:57:13 PM »

Altec Lansing definitely used to be the king of PC speakers, but they have fallen over the last few years.  i'm still using Altec's ADA885 (aka ADA890) 4.1 speaker system that i got as the top-of-the-line audio option with a Dell back in 2000, and they still stand as some of the best PC speakers i've ever heard...four 15W satellites backed up by a 60W subwoofer, a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, and topped off with THX-certification to guarantee a great sound range.  they're loud enough to get the neighbor's attention, but also sound great for games, music, and movies at more reasonable volumes.  i paid a couple hundred bucks for them at the time, but i think you can find them for less than $50 at a few places online now because they've been around so long...great deal for some fantastic speakers.  i've been using them for 8 year and don't have any plans to replace them until the day they stop working icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »

Quote from: disarm on May 30, 2008, 09:57:13 PM

i'm still using Altec's ADA885 (aka ADA890) 4.1 speaker system that i got as the top-of-the-line audio option with a Dell back in 2000, and they still stand as some of the best PC speakers i've ever heard...

those are the ones i'm using right now ... purchased online for $73 two years ago (including shipping)... they are pretty nice.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 03:41:37 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 01, 2008, 07:51:03 AM

Quote from: disarm on May 30, 2008, 09:57:13 PM

i'm still using Altec's ADA885 (aka ADA890) 4.1 speaker system that i got as the top-of-the-line audio option with a Dell back in 2000, and they still stand as some of the best PC speakers i've ever heard...

those are the ones i'm using right now ... purchased online for $73 two years ago (including shipping)... they are pretty nice.

i think i paid close to $250 for them when they first hit the market in 2000...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:47 AM »

I too own a set of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, and they're _really_ nice. Turns out the Klipsch invested all the money in actual performance, instead of bells and whistles. Only takes a standard stero input, but the sound is stellar. And they've enough power to shake your walls until stuff falls off of them.

I'll warn you ahead of time, they're a little 'delicate'. You have to take care of them. In particular, the control pod on the right speaker. But, they're definitely worth it. Especially if you can get em for below a hundred bucks, like I did.

TAK
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »

I have both Logi z5500s and Klipsch Ultra 5.1s and both rock.
When I bought the Klipsch, I didn't anticipate the need for digital inputs.
I ended up switching to the Logis for my main setup because now I do.
I run optical from my 360 and coax from my PC (with SPDIF passthru for optical from PS3).

I don't mind spending good money on stuff, but try to get as much use out of it as I can.
My intent was to use the Klipsch for surround on the tv in the room I share w/ the kids,
but haven't gotten around to it.

I should mention that the control module on the Logi went out after about a month,
but they replaced it for me. It was actually past 30 days so I was supposed to
go through parts, but it was backordered for months. After patiently and politely
talking with them a few times, they sent me out a whole new unit.

For pure sound, Klipsch has the advantage. In particular, I think the sub has a fuller
sound to it, without being boomy, but (and I'm not a total audio snob) I don't think the
difference is huge, especially for playing games.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:04:03 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: