http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 05:16:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound card and headphone recommendations?  (Read 2548 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:29:38 PM »

I'd like to get a soundcard and headphones that will do 5.1

I've heard that headphones like this exist and think they would add immeasurably to the quality of my gaming experience smile I don't, however, want to spend a goofy amount of money on it.  I'm assuming that whatever the current soundblaster incarnation is supports stuff like this... Anyone have any recommendations for a particular card/headphone combo to give me the most bang for the buck?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:01:12 PM »

Right now I use:

Zalman ZM-RS6F 5.1 channel headphones
http://www.directron.com/zmrs6f.html
They're only 45.99

They've been great headphones. There are certain games where I've actually gotten better simply because I can hear more accurately where things are coming from.

That's actually the same site I ordered them from, and though I paid for 3 day shipping I received them in the evening of the next day. YMMV on the shipping, but I've heard no complaints from others who've ordered there before.

And my soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, which can be had for about $70 to $85 or so at places like Newegg.com.

A lot of people bash the audigy and/or it's drivers, but I've had nothing but an excellent experience with mine. It sounds great, and rocks for gaming.

Quick picture of the headphones on my desktop next to my router, and another headset, to give you an idea of how big they are:

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:35:24 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
A lot of people bash the audigy and/or it's drivers, but I've had nothing but an excellent experience with mine. It sounds great, and rocks for gaming.

Same here. I've used Creative soundcards since the early 90's, and never had any trouble with them at all. I think they get wrongly blamed for problems sometimes, but ya never know. there's a billion combinations of PC hardware.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 10:46:18 PM »

Those look pretty good but I found a somewhat iffy review on them. Any problems with muddy audio?

I've always preferred the big cushy style headphones to the little nerf sponge style so they definitely have that going for them

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 02:03:21 AM »

I've been using a pair of Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones for a while now.  They are, without a shadow of a doubt, the best audio equipment I've ever owned, and well worth it.  The sound cancellation is great, especially for a noisy dorm room (if I have my eyes closed, I can miss the phone ringing, and can't hear the TV over even quiet music), they're comfortable for long stretches, and the sound quality is great.

egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 02:39:22 AM »

I second Clanwolfer's recommendation for the Bose headphones.  They're so good I feel guilty when I use my regular speakers instead of them.  They do cost a fortune tho.
Storm Crow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 08:33:58 AM »

I'm happy with my current  audigy 2, I've never had a problem with it so far. Also for headphone, I recomend either the Sennhieser 497s or 570s. both are great headphones.

It's safer here.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 08:48:38 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Those look pretty good but I found a somewhat iffy review on them. Any problems with muddy audio?

I've always preferred the big cushy style headphones to the little nerf sponge style so they definitely have that going for them

Muddy audio? Given most people's impressions of the head phones, I'd say whoever did the review had some seperate issues related to something else on their PC.

I did read one review that said they're terrible for music, which is also garbage. But to each his own I suppose...

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 09:41:27 AM »

I dont think he wants to pay $300 for the Bose  :shock:

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 03:46:10 PM »

Yeah $300 is just a touch out of the pricerange I was looking at  :shock:

Can imagine they sound verra nice though.

I ended up going with these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2215

I *do* trust your review Thin_J. The ones I'm getting have the plus of not requiring a new sound card though so I went with 'em smile

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

Looks like a very nice set of headphones. Good stuff.

Looks like another set that's good "bang for the buck" too, at least from what I could find about them.

Good find.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 05:14:49 AM »

They just arrived today.

Installation: Insanely easy. Plug them into a USB port. Windows autodetects them and they work immediately.

Construction: Seem pretty sturdy,  hard plastic frame with metal mesh over the exterior of the ear pieces. Big cushy foam rings that fit comfortably around your ear.  Padded strap for across the top of the head with elastic bands to allow one size fits all. I've got a big head and they fit me very comfortably.

The sound: Very good so far. Played the two towers soundtrack with great clarity. Fired up Doom 3 to check out the surround sound and it was spot on. Did a much better job than my 4 desktop speaker set-up in conveying location of sounds.

The bad: No volume control. Enormous and unforgiveable oversight. Volume must be controlled through your taskbar volume icon or through game audio settings.  

The Gryndyl Rating: 8 out of 10

Pros: comfy and sturdy with good sound clarity and positioning. Easy installation.

Cons: NO FRIGGIN' VOLUME KNOB

Recommended  biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: