http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:53:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrinking a volume  (Read 411 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2010, 01:07:03 AM »

The wife has a new 64bit Windows 7 PC and I wanted to split the giant entire disk C: partition in two, make a smaller C: "just for the O/S" and have the majority of the drive be a secondary D: partition. When I went into the drive management console goodie and tried to do that, it checked and then would only let me shrink it down to roughly half of the original size and no more.

Now, reading up I understand there are "unmovable files" in the way, page files, shadow copies and such, and there are command line options to futz around with and "fix" that. I'd rather have a simple Windows utility to do that proper, much like I've used in the past from companies like Acronis or Partition Magic (?) back in the day. However, I'd rather not have to buy something like that just for this one time use. So...

Are there any good/recommended free utilities out there people have used or are familiar with? Or perhaps (gasp) a trial version that would do this for me? Thanks.  icon_smile

EASEUS seems to come up in alot of searches, as does MiniTool Partition Wizard, any experience with either? I see the latter lets you create a boot disk version so you can work on your boot partition without it being 'locked' by Windows. EASEUS also can but not from the free Home version, it seems.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:58:47 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
papasmurff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »

you should be able to do that if you format and reinstall if you have the windows 7 disk.  I usually do this when I get a new computer.  Not only will you be able to create the size drives you want, but it will also give you a clean install without all the extra crap.  It is a little more time consuming, but you are really accomplishing a couple different things... just a thought

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: