http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:40:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up a wireless network with a computer that doesn't have wifi  (Read 899 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »

My folks bought a desktop about 5 or 6 years ago.  It was just a Compaq Presario.  I don't know but I'm fairly sure that it doesn't have a wireless card.  I want to set up a wireless network since I've just bought a new laptop (and it would be nice for them to have whenever they eventually get a new computer).  Since we only have one access point and one computer will be wireless and the other one is wired, how do you go about making both computers able to connect to the internet? Would I be better off just buying a wireless card for the old computer?
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

If you want to go as simple as possible, just get a wireless USB adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124187

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »

What kind of access point do you have? If you have a wireless router and not just an access point, you can plug the computer into the router.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 30, 2008, 03:49:30 PM

What kind of access point do you have? If you have a wireless router and not just an access point, you can plug the computer into the router.

Would it just be "plug n play" though or would I have to fool around with settings and port forwarding and whatnot because I'm not reallly good at that.

Walking Fumble your suggestion is good-I see that we actually have a wireless USB adapter sitting right here on the table! Problem solved smile
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:47:16 AM »

Hmmm....If I had my choice I would get the card and not the USB adaptor but that is just me.  Also, as was already mentioned, if it is a wireless router no problem just plug a cable in.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »

And then at least one computer will have a wired connection which is 1000x more reliable and always on, as opposed to wireless which can go funny. I like having one wired connection to my router at any given time so I have ready access to it in case it shits-the-bed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: