http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 02:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Stuttering Issues With Games  (Read 938 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2006, 05:40:53 AM »

Hey guys,
So due to some massive slowdown in games, loading slowdowns, and some serious intermittent stuttering in games (the game will play perfectly smoothly for 10-15 seconds and then start slowing down when I open a door, or just start stuttering or some such, then go back to normal. Very intermittent. It is most noticeable in first person shooters, specifically hl2 and Fear Extraction Point). I then reformatted to get rid of what I was hoping was causing it, installed all the newest drivers, installed little other system clutter, and then tried again. Same exact issues, especially in Fear Extraction Point. Tried both DVD and CD drive. BTW-its not a framerate issue. I can play the performance test in fear with my current settings and get a 35+ average in that test. Thanks all, any suggestions would be appreciated!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 05:42:31 AM by Calvin » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 06:44:48 AM »

Something to do with sound, perhaps?

Atomic

(guess based on your comment about opening a door)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:32:27 AM »

How would I find out? I havent changed anything with the sound, its the ONLY creative drivers-the complete shit LiveDriveUniPack that I have always used.... any ideas?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 10:21:57 AM »

Have you tried reinstalling the sound drivers?  Just to make sure that they aren't the culprit, even if they are the same ones you are reinstalling. 

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:07:10 PM »

Rip out the Creative junk in the box, and go onboard sound.  Fixed all of my issues, on all of our PC's.  I found out 99% of my fucking crashing, was Creative and their shitty drivers.  AC97 is supremely compatible, most games are developed on boxes with onboard sound.

Other things to check would be CPU temps, and Ram errors.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 05, 2006, 06:07:10 PM

Rip out the Creative junk in the box, and go onboard sound.  Fixed all of my issues, on all of our PC's.  I found out 99% of my fucking crashing, was Creative and their shitty drivers.  AC97 is supremely compatible, most games are developed on boxes with onboard sound.

Other things to check would be CPU temps, and Ram errors.

Unfortunately for me, I need both the line out port and the 4 inputs for sound for my speaker set up and XBOX360 set up, so while I could abandon the Creative board I am very very hesitant to do so frown I also really don't want to buy another one, this one is only maybe 18 months old.  Do you know any tests for RAM errors?

Still looking for other ideas!
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:41:02 PM »

I would just try updating all the drivers you can find: network card, sound card, whatever.

You can also see if your CPU is topping out.  Is there a lot of disk thrashing while you play?  I also like setting a very generous, static sized swap file (make the min/max settings the same).
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 11:46:29 PM »

http://www.memtest86.com/

Here ya go, make sure that ram is working  nod

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 01:22:31 AM »

I'd yank the soundcard first; it doesn't test sound during a perf-tests, IIRC.
You could also run DXDIAG and run a full diag test from there. It doesn't always reveal problems, but it can't hurt.

As to RAM testing; if your system can address the memory in the speed test, then it's likely not a memory issue.

Can you run a tech demo all night and see if it's up in the morning?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »

The best way to determine if you're having a problem with sound, is to disable it completely, and I'm talkin _completely_, and see if your problems go away. (my normal solution is to pull the sound drivers and yank the card, and run the box with no audio for testing. A bit extreme, but it insures there are no errors in configuration with the sound interfering with the testing)

That said, I've seen some other posts around the net regarding stuttering, and half life 2, in particular. I myself had no real issues with hl2, but episode 1 has a point in the game that I just can't seem to get past, even with sound disabled. Still fussing with it, but I just moved to a new house, so priorities changed. Haven't had time/inclination in a couple of weeks.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: