http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:27:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running any program in a window  (Read 808 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »

I've got a couple of games (Ghostmaster) which run full screen but - I really want to run these in a window, is there any way (application?) of doing this. -w or alt return don't work frown

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 31, 2009, 09:41:14 AM

I've got a couple of games (Ghostmaster) which run full screen but - I really want to run these in a window, is there any way (application?) of doing this. -w or alt return don't work frown

There may be some kind of wrapper for this out there somewhere, but I don't know about any. Speaking as a former game developer however, if a game doesn't have support for windowed mode built in, it's going to be hard to do.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:54 PM »

How about using two monitors?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

Two monitors won't help for applications that use 3D graphics. A fullscreen application will require focus from both monitors even if it uses just one. Clicking on the "free" screen will cause the application to lose focus and all its 3D resources, which removes any advantage from that configuration.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 02, 2010, 10:23:27 AM

Two monitors won't help for applications that use 3D graphics. A fullscreen application will require focus from both monitors even if it uses just one. Clicking on the "free" screen will cause the application to lose focus and all its 3D resources, which removes any advantage from that configuration.
That's good to know.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »

It's worth adding that the screen not being used for the fullscreen application will still show the Windows interface, letting you keep up to date with, say, a chat application while you play a game. As long as you don't actually try to click on this screen, it works fine.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »

I wondered about this recently while playing World of Goo on my 40" screen. I desperately wanted to play that game in a window and keep my IRC window up on the other side of the screen... but can't find any way to do it at all.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: