http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:40:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everybody keep their fingers crossed for me :(  (Read 2418 times)
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:28:09 AM »

Sadly, my Gateway 2185w died on me Friday... it's an obvious electronics failure.. power comes on when you plug it in and can't be turned off... logo never shows, can't select from the inputs, and it's 'dead at the helm' so to speak. It was a really good display, but it didn't last nearly as long as I was hoping for (and I was careful with it too... violence and technology, not good bedfellows, so to speak)...

After doing some last minute research and updates, I've selected the replacement, but it won't arrive for a few days... via fedex shipping, due to ups horrible reputation. I'd prefer to pick it up myself, but it's not an option... nobody carries these in stores that I can find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176104

Could have gotten it a little cheaper at (nameforgottennow), but wasn't worth going with an unfamiliar etailer.

*prays to the electron gods that fedex doesn't drop it)

Atomic
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »

Hopefully the commenter saying a "Con" is "Gaming, but who would buy this monitor for gaming?" is just a troll.  paranoid Good luck, I'm sure shipping will be fine (I've bought a few video cards from NewEgg and never had a problem).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »

Looks nice.  I have a 24 inch Benq (which is actually hooked up to my PS3 and not used as a computer monitor) which I love to death but it wasn't nearly as expensive as that HP!
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I take egg reviews with a 'grain of salt' so to speak. The panel gives me what I want, actually. IPS based panels have much better color capability than 'regular' tft or tn panels.... One of the reasons they can make those '2ms' or '5ms' panels, is because they're only using 6bits of info per color, instead of a full 8 bits.... that ends up forcing them to adopt a 'color palette' strategy instead of being able to display a true 24bit color gamut... the most obvious result of which is 'color banding' along graduated areas of color... for instance, in certain areas of space, in eve online, it shows up in the background. On the other end of the spectrum, you get panels like the new HP 'Dreamcolor'... check this out... (note that it's an IPS based panel)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176106

It's plenty fast enough, btw. Part of the speed rating of panels, depends on exactly how you measure them... so measurements tend to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer anyways. For the record, the old gateway panel was rated at 8ms gtg... (gray to gray)... the new panel is showing 6ms for that measurement... (again, grain of salt)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/   ... found that yesterday hunting around for info. Seems like a pretty good resource, and what they're saying matches a lot of what I already knew about panel technology.

All this boils down to... I could have spent a lot less for the replacement panel, given todays prices for 'regular' aka tft or tn panels... In fact I probably SHOULD have. But the display is the single most important part of your computer, bar nothing. If you hate your display, you'll hate your computer.

All this may end up being so much hot air. I'll keep you guys updated smile

Atomic
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:57:58 PM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »

After purchasing my new Dell IPS monitor, I could never go back to the older technology with dubious off-angle viewing. Of course, you really don't know what you're missing until you sit in front of one of these monitors. My only regret is that it is only 22", but Dell had them on sale for $189 through my Dell Business account, and that included a 3 year warranty. Apparently the monitor was supposed to be part of a bundled system, but Dell scrapped that idea at the last moment and suddenly had a massive number of these monitors to unload.

Incidentally, my friend had the HP 2480 until his cat knocked it over. I think you'll be happy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:57:49 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:15:34 AM »

Yeah, my previous unit was a 20 inch widescreen, with an s-pva type panel in it. It wasn't the fastest panel on the planet, and, annoyingly, it had some trouble with banding, so I suspect it was using 6bit circuitry to keep the speed up/cost down, a bit. But the banding really only showed up if you pushed it... open space in eve online had a habit of showing it.... at no other time did I truly notice it. But it was big enough, and had multiple inputs, so I could hook just about everything up to it at the same time. And it really did look nice. Good black levels, etc.

I definitely wasn't planning to buy a new panel yet, either. It died fairly early... I've only had it about 3 years. I suspect one or more of the circuit boards controlling it, has bought the farm, given the nature of the problems it is now displaying (combined with the fact that it's been giving me the error intermittantly for a few months... until now, turning the display off and unplugging it for a few minutes would be enough to get it to 'reset' to a point where I could use it... then it would go for a few days/weeks, and we'd do the process over. Anyways, creeping failure makes for an unhappy Atomic frown

But yeah, given the excuse, bring on the new display smile I've got a corner desk now, so I've lots more room to play with... I could probably have gotten away with a 40 inch lcd tv/panel of some type, though that was out of the budget range. Oh well smile

Newegg showing shipped at this point, though no email with tracking info yet.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »

Whew, finally. Saved, 2.5 hours before I return to work. (actually it came earlier today/this morning, but I was asleep at the time).

Looks wonderful, no bad pixels in evidence so far.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:01:12 AM »

Now, can anyone recommend a good screen protector for a 24 inch lcd? There's a targus model available from newegg, but it's one of the polarized privacy guard ones, and it's a fair chunk of change :/

I just need something that I can put over this sucker, so that the lcd stays clean, and I can wipe off the protector instead.

Didn't see anything relevant on the hp site when I was checking the other day.

Atomic
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »

Definitely need a more detailed review from you, TAK.  My ancient 20" Sony CRT is starting to show burn-in and after researching for the past week this monitor is currently at the top of my list.  What video card are you using to run it?

Please drop everything and go play:
World of Warcraft
Call of Duty 4
Demigod
Empire: Total War
any three other games of your choice

...and let me know how it all performs.  Thanks! icon_wink
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »

Start by reading this... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

and just as a quick mention, I haven't noticed anything visible to the naked eye yet with rtc overshoot, or blurring. Perhaps they've adjusted the panels somewhat, etc. Or perhaps it's just not visible to me. smile

Atomic
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »

Why in the world would you need a screen protector? Do you use one for your TV as well?  I can only imagine the air bubles and reduced visual quality that something like that would cause.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

Because the front of most lcd panels, including this one, is made from some type of soft-ish plastic, rather than glass. It's prone to little marks, dings, and the like, even from extremely gentle cleaning. Plus, dirt tends to collect along the edge between the bezel and the panel, which is hard to clean out. (more dirt than damage.. I managed not to do anything obvious with my gateway, but it always makes me nervous)

The type of protector I'm speaking off, won't have air bubbles in it... we're talking hard plastic or preferably a glass shell, that fits over the top/front of the screen, like a hard barrier. They're very easy to clean... washrag, hot water... get vigorous with it, then your choice of soft cloth to dry it and prevent streaking as it dries. If you 'get vigorous' with an open panel... you'll damage it in short order... from pressing too hard on the substrate, if nothing else.

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on May 30, 2009, 04:40:30 PM

Because the front of most lcd panels, including this one, is made from some type of soft-ish plastic, rather than glass. It's prone to little marks, dings, and the like, even from extremely gentle cleaning. Plus, dirt tends to collect along the edge between the bezel and the panel, which is hard to clean out. (more dirt than damage.. I managed not to do anything obvious with my gateway, but it always makes me nervous)

I've found that using the fluffy inside of a regular cotton tube sock seems to remove dust without any issues.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »

You get in trouble a lot for having one dirty sock, don't you? smile

Thanks for the tip. I actually have a dusting cloth I received last christmas that's really nice. It just worries me that I'm going to get something caught in it, and do something irreversible to the nice display. I worried about the last one too, but never did find anything satisfactory to fit it.

Atomic
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 03:13:59 AM »

I've thought about screen-protectors for my sort of expensive Samsung SyncMaster T240, but after 8 months of normal use, I've decided I don't need one. I'd worry about losing some of the brightness or clarity by having another screen in front of this one. I do smoke a bit while web-surfing, but I just use a clean, damp (with water only) cotton cloth about once a month, which does the job perfectly, and have never experienced any dings or scratches, in spite of owning a cat who used to like to lie on top of my old CRT. Fortunately, he's never yet tried to climb on top of this thing, since it's obviously too narrow.

I once opened a can of V8 vegetable juice in front of it, which did spray some tiny juice droplets onto the screen, which I didn't even notice until days later, but the aforementioned damp cotton cloth cleaned it right off with no hassles. Just remember to use water only, no Windex or other solutions containing any chemicals.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:19:09 AM by Giles Habibula » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:34 AM »

Turned computer off, went to work.

Came home, power light on monitor is on. Not familiar enough to know if it's supposed to blink when in power save or not.

Turn on computer, no reaction from display, no video. Attempt to manually select inputs, and then scan, from front panel buttons. No response.

Turn off power using front panel switch... power turns off. No surprise.

Turn on power using front panel switch... no reaction. Display completely dead and will not power on.

Go through troubleshooting, both common-sense, and following the troubleshooting area of the user manual, which is, you guessed it, only on a cdrom, and not a printed manual. Oh well, saving trees is good I guess. Nothing, no reaction from display. This includes swapping out power cables, testing to see if the front panel lockout or the power button lockout options have somehow gone active... no response.

Called hp tech support, and after speaking briefly to the person, and describing the error... without doing any diagnostics of his own he mentions the built in replacement service for the product warranty... it's a one business day service that replaces the unit with a remanufactured unit. When I mention that I purchased a new unit that has lasted all of two days, and that I want a new unit replacement, he does indeed offer that, though it takes two weeks to get a new unit.

To be honest, I'm more tempted to trust HP to ship me a new unit via the second option, than I'm willing to trust that Newegg will replace my panel with a brand new unit.

It's particularly aggravating because, as far as I could tell, my display was flawless... right up until the goddamned thing stopped working.

Suggestions/advice/etc regarding newegg or HP are welcome at this point.... Currently I'm leaning towards the 2 week 'new unit' replacement from HP... the return policy at newegg does not allow for a refund... certainly didn't think I'd need to be considering that option when I was purchasing frown

Note: HP appears to absorb all shipping costs... I have to pay to ship to newegg (I checked, although their support lines are only active from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm... so much for helping people after they get home from work, I guess)

Note2: It is particularly disturbing that the guy didnt even try to do any troubleshooting of his own. Either I convinced him with my blow-by-blow list of what I'd already tried, or perhaps they're seeing a lot of this? I don't see a ton of unhappy reviews on egg, which I would expect, though.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 05:11:02 AM »

Oh yeah. When I turn on the master power switch for the panel.. .located next to the plug for the power cord, I can hear the electronics come on inside the panel... just no response to the front buttons... the others are excused with the power off... tbh, I suspect I may have a bad power switch...

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »

Oh well. Initiating process to get a new replacement from HP. I just hope the replacement panel manages to not have any pixel defects frown

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 12:27:20 AM »

The good news is, I'm having zero issues with HP support... (mind you this is a business product)

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »

New panel received and setup just now. I'm impressed with the speed of the replacement, especially considering the quoted '2 weeks' the guy was saying initially. Must be to try and encourage people to take more of the remanufactured units as replacements... (which would have been fine for me, if mine hadn't been brand spanking new).

New screen thankfully looks just as perfect as the first one. Testing continues, although I do need to sleep some more before working tonight smile

Atomic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »

Good to hear that everything turned out well for you.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 12:59:42 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 05, 2009, 12:50:23 AM

ask him again in 48 hours  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »

Congrats. I had the same experience w/ Dell. I had a new Hard Drive in a few days of calling them.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 05, 2009, 12:59:42 AM

Quote from: Destructor on June 05, 2009, 12:50:23 AM

ask him again in 48 hours  icon_twisted

That is, in fact, exactly what I am waiting for. :/ If everything is still functional next Monday morning, I'll drop the old box in the mail.. (they paid for ups shipping back to hp)... if anything else goes wrong, I'll have to come up with a new game plan.

I'll say again, HP's support in this has been impressive. I'm definitely a repeat customer for their products... barring their printers, which I just can't stand... at least the deskjets. I've just never had any luck with those, unfortunately.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 03:58:01 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on June 04, 2009, 02:53:54 PM

New panel received and setup just now. I'm impressed with the speed of the replacement, especially considering the quoted '2 weeks' the guy was saying initially. Must be to try and encourage people to take more of the remanufactured units as replacements... (which would have been fine for me, if mine hadn't been brand spanking new).

New screen thankfully looks just as perfect as the first one. Testing continues, although I do need to sleep some more before working tonight smile

Atomic

Actually, I'll go so far as to say the new screen seems a touch better than the first one. It didn't bother me, but it had a faint amount of shadow along the righthand side due to the backlight... a reported 'issue' with some lcd's... it wasn't significant... the replacement doesn't seem to have any shadow at all.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 04:10:50 AM »

So far so good. This is technically the 48 hour mark. No problems yet.

Tis unfortunate that I ended up getting one SIDS, but although it was annoying, at least I gained the advantage of a, however slightly, better screen out of the deal.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 05:07:51 AM »

Ok, been running with this sucker for about a month now, since replacing the initially defective unit. I've had absolutely no issues with this screen... it's so perfect it isn't funny. You'll see occasional complaints in reviews around the web about the oversaturated colors... but even if you don't have a colorimeter, if you cut the brightness to 50% or so, instead of the 90% it defaults to, it is extremely well behaved.

If you DO have a colorimeter... well, I don't have one, so I can't actually comment. But from different reviews... apparently, it's amazing.

My complaint... and this is really stretching... is that they didn't use an LED backlight. For what you pay for these suckers, they could have wedged one in there, instead of the flourescent they used. LED backlights have a much more even distribution of lighting, and are generally capable of even wider ability to display accurate color. I'd imaging they're also more resilient, if you accidentally abuse the display somehow. However, that said, the backlight on this thing is extremely even... there's the barest touch of a ghost of fading along the righthand edge, which is spottable if you deliberately look for it. That's it.

Movement/motion/ghosting/etc.... no issues noticeable to my naked eyeball. I've played EVE Online, Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Diablo II (got desperate smile ), and none of them displayed anything resembling motion issues, even with EVE running at over 100 fps.

I'll say it again. HP support was wonderful. They've got my business in the future for a lot of things, based on this experience. It's really hard to complain about 'ok, we're shipping you a new monitor. ship us the old one when you get it, free of charge.'

Atomic

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »

Arise, very old thread!

My 2.5 year old LP2475w gave up the ghost last night.  Came home and turned the computer on and no response from the screen.  Power light indicator appears to recognize when there is active input (stays green, turns amber with no input) but the built in menus never appear.  Sounds like a dead backlamp to me so I called HP about it.

As with TheAtomicKid, I was able to call HPs business support line since this is a business class product.  After a brief description of the problem, the only testing he had me do was try a different power cable.  After that, it's "what's your shipping address" and "look for it by Thursday".  The technician told me he was sorry about the problem but said he was happy for me that it happened with the monitor still under its three-year warranty.

Since the model is no longer in production, I'll very likely be getting a refurbished panel. This panel was flawless with no dead/stuck pixels so I'm hoping for the best.  So far, my customer support experience has been first rate. thumbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: