http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Razer Onza issues  (Read 6471 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »

I've had two of these development the same issue after about a week of play.  Got it replaced and the new one did the same thing on the other stick.  When pushing forward it will randomly decide that I'm ALSO hitting back on the same stick.  In a FPS it causes me to abruptly stop and stand there like a jackass and die.

I did a search in google for Razer onza stick malfunction and found dozens of vids of people with the same (and similar) problems.  yay...

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »

I had one of these for a few months and the right analog stick started to randomly drift the camera down which annoyed the hell out of me.  This was also a problem some people had. 

I caved and bought an official wired xbox360 controller.  I find the build quality of the official controller is WAY better than the razer, even though it's only about 10 bucks more.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:39:18 PM »

In a FPS it causes me to abruptly stop and stand there like a jackass and die.

Some of us would call that a feature  icon_twisted

It sounds like something is hitting the back contacts as you press the stick forward.  Maybe the rubber patd the usually put between the contacts and the actual stick is off center.   Of course with others having the same issue it's probably more complicated, otherwise someone would have probably worked out a fix on their own.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »

Quote from: lex on November 22, 2011, 11:30:44 PM

I had one of these for a few months and the right analog stick started to randomly drift the camera down which annoyed the hell out of me

I had this issue and they gave me a free replacement within the week, if you want to recoup your cost.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 02:09:29 AM »

Someone didnt tell me they had this issue before i bought...  slywink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:05 AM »

I totally did, you warning ignorer.  Truthiness!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »

Well I guess this is the appropriate forum for this, but I wish this thread had been created in the Console forum too. I just picked up one of these last week and have been posting good things about it in the orginal, console forum thread. I'm surprised I didn't come across any mention of the stick loosing calibration when I did my google search.

A few questions. For those who've had the problem, do you have the TE or Pro edition Onza? I'm also wondering if you tried plugging it into your PC to check the calibration from within the Windows game controllers applet? As well, is there any chance you may have twisted the Thumbstick tension beyond the min or max thresholds? The latter is a concern of mine since there's no indicator marks, and I can see it easily happening.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:05:53 PM by kronovan » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »

I used the tension adjusters on the first one I had, then it started acting up and I suspected maybe I had turned it too far.  I never touched them on the second one and had the same problem develop on the opposite stick.

I tested both in Windows once the problem started up and in both Windows and on the 360 they continued having the problems.  The Windows calibration program clearly shows the sporadic jumping around on the inputs.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »

OK cool Hark, thanks for replying. That definitely sounds like the stick contacts are screwed. I remember a similar problem happening on early Saitek flightstick-throttle combos. That was caused by the weak internal plastic that held the contacts in place cracking, so maybe this is similar. Its a shame because I love the stick tension feature and this pad controls better for racing games than any I've ever used. I'm of 2 minds with it - keep using it in the hope it won't malfunction, or trade it for a default 360 controller, which just happen to be on sale this week at the Best Buy I bought my Onza from.

I'm curious if Wonderpug has had a repeat on his replacement?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »

Both of mine developed problems after about a week.  Keep in mind how much I use them in a week though  ninja
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 03:50:30 AM »

I haven't had any issues with my replacement.  I've probably used it for 150 hours or so.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:27 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 29, 2011, 03:50:30 AM

I haven't had any issues with my replacement.  I've probably used it for 150 hours or so.

Good to hear. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll take mine back or hold on to it. The mapable shoulder buttons, superior d-pad and thumbstick tension control are making me lean in the direction of holding on. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: