http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 05:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ram  (Read 1099 times)
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
ram
« on: November 08, 2005, 12:39:52 AM »

if I have 1 gig of dual channel ram and I buy a gig of non dual channel ram would I be able to run them together in my rig?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
ram
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 12:52:13 AM »

No would be the short answer.   At half speed and cutting your system off at the shins would be the long answer.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
ram
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 10:56:39 AM »

Not to mention that even if you did manage to get it to work you would probably have stability issues up the wazoo.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
ram
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 04:55:45 PM »

How do you buy "non-dual channel" ram?

Dual Channel is a Motherboard function. I can take old DDR2100 RAM made before Dual Channel was available and run it in Dual Channel as long as the motherboard supports it...

Are you saying that you have 2 unmatched 512Mb sticks? In theory it's possible to get non-matched sticks to DC as long as they're the same size, but there's a large risk of instability and most boards won't even try it.

If you're looking to buy an additional 1gb of RAM, try to match the sticks you already have. General rule of thumb for any RAM upgrades, Dual Channel setup or not.

Ragnarok Online taught me everything I needed to know about conflict resolution:  "There are no problems that can't be solved by proper application of Daggers to Faces."
pingwrx

View Profile
ram
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »

Quote from: "Hazer"
How do you buy "non-dual channel" ram?

Dual Channel is a Motherboard function. I can take old DDR2100 RAM made before Dual Channel was available and run it in Dual Channel as long as the motherboard supports it...

Are you saying that you have 2 unmatched 512Mb sticks? In theory it's possible to get non-matched sticks to DC as long as they're the same size, but there's a large risk of instability and most boards won't even try it.

If you're looking to buy an additional 1gb of RAM, try to match the sticks you already have. General rule of thumb for any RAM upgrades, Dual Channel setup or not.

yea I was thinking of getting another gig of ram but the ram I have now I can't seem to get anymore I tried a gig of corsair but my system wouldnt even recognize it.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
unbreakable
ram
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:49:20 PM »

Your main concern would be 'registered' (or ECC) RAM vs. non-registered RAM.  There is error correction going on at the hardware level; this is done either by a chip ON the RAM (with ECC), or by a chip on the mobo.  Obviously, ECC RAM is more expensive; it may be faster, but I never really looked into it.

If your mobo needs ECC RAM, that may be why it isnt seeing the new memory.  Either that, or its an incorrect type of memory.  Or it just plain doesnt work.

You should always check the manual for your mobo before purchasing or installing RAM.  What model of computer or mobo is it?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
ram
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 10:07:12 PM »

Or the timings are off.  My corsair requires +1v to run

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
ram
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 11:26:11 PM »

The moral of this story: Memory is such a pain in the ass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: