http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 11:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: radeon or NVIDIA ? intel or AMD ? (New PC)  (Read 564 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »

I am getting ready to place a order to cyberpower PC.  I always build my PCs, but this time I am just ordering one because I do not feel like researching it or messing with it anymore.  Maybe I am getting old.   I used to build amd and intel, etc. and they were always leap frogging each other.  I like both brands.  Same with video cards.

If they are close enough that I can flip a coin, thats fine too.  I hope to put this machine on order by this weekend..  Thanks for any input.

PC main use will be playing games.  Hopefully costs are around $1000 total.

Anyways, I know its never a simple answer but I am going to ask for a simple answer anyways.

Best Proc brand ?   
Best Video card brand? 
Windows 7 64 or windows 8.1 64?

thanks fellas

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »

I've been an AMD/ATI guy since the early days and the one thing which always lures me to them is the price/performance factor, AKA "the Intel Tax".  there are a few benefits as you'd expect and the only real downside is the lack of hardware PhysX support.  you can force it in most games, but it can take a toll on game performance. 

my general rule when buying CPU is to chart the price/performance and take the 2nd tier down as you'll get a better improvement in gaming by putting that money into a better GPU with more vram; go with 2gb minimum and 3 or 4 if you want more future proofing and/or highend games at higher res.  go with 8gb of ram unless you can score 16gb without breaking budget, but know that you'll not likely need it up front.  look for the MB and how the PCI-E cards are arranged.  if you intend to go SLI/Crossfire for gaming, you'll want full 16x channels.  if you don't have plans to, then a single 16x slot is enough if you need to shave costs.  I'd only recommend the 2 PCI-E 8x per slot if you are going for dual monitor and primarily workstation or mid-ranged games. 

as for brands, I stick with Asus but have no real loyalty to GPU as long as it's one of the major ones.  I have no specific data to back it up, but I've had good machines with long life spans on that brand of board.  TBH, if you can get 8.1 at the same cost, go for it unless you totally hate the new interface.  you can modify much of the 8.1 default gui with utilities;  Stardock has quite a few which I wish MS had based 8.1 on. 

lastly, get an SSD for the OS.  Hybrid drive for the main games install. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

As far as GPUs go I've had both Radeons and NVidia in my current system and I would say go with NVidia if you can. The cards are more expensive than the AMD ones but worth it in my opinion.

I started with a 7870 OC, which was a decent card for price/performance. Then put in a second 7870 OC for Crossfire setup when I got a higher resolution monitor. That sometimes worked and most of the time was just problematic - not to mention the increased noise of two cards in the system. So I got rid of that annoyance and went with a higher end NVidia card. Was totally worth it. Things ran smooth, without issue, and had the benefit of enabling the higher level PhysX effects - which are pretty cool in a few of the games that use them. I haven't had a single negative running the Nvidia card since I got it.

For CPUs I just go with Intel. The i5s are reasonably priced and for gaming they're more than fine.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »

I tend to prefer AMD processors and Nvidia gpus
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:44:14 AM »

There are a lot of horror stories about using Windows 8 for gaming. Windows 7 would seem to be the way to go on this.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »

Personally I go Intel and Nvidia. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »

I just put a rig together myself 2 weeks ago. Intel has the inside track for CPU's and has for a while. Best bang for the buck is an i5. It's the same as an i7 without hyperthreading and there is a good deal of debate weather games in the future will make use of that or not.  While it seems AMD is better at the top end for gpu's, I have heard they run hot and loud. That said somebody here just put one in and I haven't seen any complaints so far. I got a Nvida GTX 770 and finished up Far Cry 3 on max and started AC Black Flag maxed with no issues and very quiet. Ram you are fine with 8 for the forseeable future. One thing with Cyberpower. I looked up reviews on the base mobo they use in most of their middle and cheaper builds. It had really terrible reviews across the board. Not sure how relevant that is, just be careful.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »

Intel i5/7
Both the current gen AMD / nVidia cards are good. AMD's Mantle API shows promise.
Windows 7 x64
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »

I must admit, Mantle is intriguing. Nvidia doesn't have an answer for it yet, at least that I've heard of. If Mantle works as advertised, it will upset things, because no game shop is going to let free performance sit idle.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »

AMD still holds the performance per dollar for GPUs, we're talking drastic performance per dollar differences between AMD and NVidia. They are also still pretty close in performance, and often above NVidia right now on some stuff. AMD is also pushing more open standards that will likely see more widespread acceptance, compared to NVidia's proprietary strategy.

Intel still has the performance CPU market last I checked, but this may have changed, or the performance is pretty close. You'll still be paying the Intel tax, but the performance is there if you want the best and are prepared to pay for it.

Another thing to consider is that AMD is going to own a lot of gaming tech standards in the coming years since their chips are the only chips in almost every console. Every developer making a game will have to learn nuances of AMD chips, both CPU and GPU.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:15:45 AM by Turtle » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 09, 2014, 11:13:10 AM

Another thing to consider is that AMD is going to own a lot of gaming tech standards in the coming years since their chips are the only chips in almost every console. Every developer making a game will have to learn nuances of AMD chips, both CPU and GPU.

Exactly. AMD processors and ATI graphic cards in both the PS4 and XB1. Kinda crazy how that turned out this generation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »

Since we're discussing hardware, I'll throw out a site that I've found useful in an "apples to apples" sense, PassMark and specifically their CPU and GPU benchmark tables. I know that everyone and their brother probably have evaluation schemes and the ones at PassMark probably are no better, but I use these benchmarks to give me some relative values information.

I also find them useful, especially the GPU benchmarks, when somebody like Steam lists minimum and recommended video cards and I haven't a clue as to whether it means my card is good enough. For instance, my current AMD Radeon HD 6570 is benchmarked at 752. Now on Steam, taking for example ARMA III, one of the minimum recommended cards is an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. Looking that up on the GPU List page, I find a value for the 8800 GT of 758, which tells me that my Radeon HD 6570 is barely good enough. And one of the recommended cards, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, is benchmarked at 3100, so I know that to get the best experience I need to get a card with a benchmark of at least somewhere near there. It's one of the reasons I'm upgrading to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 780, which benchmarks at 8001 icon_biggrin

Again, I know these benchmarks aren't holy gospel, they are just another rating system. It just makes it easier for me to compare this way.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »

Anandtech Bench is a good place to look if you wanna compare CPU's and GPU's.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »

Thank you for the responses.  Good info!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »

http://www.techpowerup.com/

I got that link from TheAtomicKid. It's a good site with good charts comparing all sorts of stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: