http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quicktime, Windows Media player, Media Player Classic -- No Video.  (Read 683 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:29:26 AM »

Not sure what happened, but all my video players no longer show video. I have only sound. I've tried reinstalling Quicktime, upgraded to Windows Media Player 11, and installed the latest Combined Community Codecs, but still nothing. Uninstalled everything and tried again. Still getting only sound, no video.

Any suggestions?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:28:23 AM »

Have you made sure you have the latest video drivers?    ninja2

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 24, 2009, 02:29:26 AM

and installed the latest Combined Community Codecs

That's probably your problem right there. You should stay away from those things as they almost always lead to nothing but trouble. Use VLC instead. It's safer for your sanity.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 24, 2009, 08:22:18 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 24, 2009, 02:29:26 AM

and installed the latest Combined Community Codecs

That's probably your problem right there. You should stay away from those things as they almost always lead to nothing but trouble. Use VLC instead. It's safer for your sanity.

Disagree. CCCP is one of the best codec pack out there. Using it and the included media player classic is much better than using VLC's bad UI.

If you want to have player with built-in codec then GOM is still better than VLC if you don't care about the alleged violation of FFmpeg software license.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:51 AM »

It's not about bad UI. It's about codec packs fucking up your system, almost without exception. The ramifications might not be apparent within the first days, weeks, or even months, but when they do hit you're in for a world of frustration.

It's not a coincidence that a lot of game troubleshooters always recommend using system restore if you've installed codec packs and have trouble with the game.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 24, 2009, 09:05:51 AM

It's not about bad UI. It's about codec packs fucking up your system, almost without exception. The ramifications might not be apparent within the first days, weeks, or even months, but when they do hit you're in for a world of frustration.

It's not a coincidence that a lot of game troubleshooters always recommend using system restore if you've installed codec packs and have trouble with the game.

Maybe you should try newer CCCP first if you haven't. The more current version doesn't fuck up games because newer FFMPEG codec (the part that used to have trouble with some games) has option to only be used by listed application (by default only media player software). CCCP's uninstaller also can cleanly remove all trace of codecs and application that was installed by CCCP. As long as you only use CCCP and not other codec, you won't have problem with it that need system restore to fix. I have been using CCCP for years on multiple PCs.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »

I've used the CCCP for years now. It is by far, the best playback solution I've ever tried, and it keeps getting better with each new release. And if you think there's something borked with the install, or something else might be interfering, use the Insurgent tool to check for other packs.

Also, for the record, before I stumbled upon it all that time ago, I loathed codec packages like the plague. Almost every single one included bloatware, spyware, or other unwelcome software included. The CCCP however, is different. It was written so that the anime fansub community would have a single, working, playback solution so that they could stop having to field support questions like 'how do I playback .mkv's?', etc etc etc. It's not even technically a codec pack, since as far as I can tell, all it does is install a bunch of directshow filters, and then installs the pre-configured software player of your choice, set up to use those filters.

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#What_is_CCCP.3F

One side effect is almost everything works in windows media player, as well.

Given that it's a bunch of directshow filters, you might try updating directx and see if that has any effect.

Barring all else, try using the revo uninstaller to uninstall the CCCP, purge all the registry entries for it, and then reinstall it from the (relatively) clean slate.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Note that, if you don't want to use the revo uninstaller, CCleaner can also purge the registry entries. Just run its registry tool after uninstalling the CCCP.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:30:27 AM »

PS: The 'one extra step' to configure for Windows 7 is no longer necessary, if you downloaded the latest player.

They even enabled the mpc to run with the transparency, etc, that some themes use, so it no longer reverts the interface to Win7 basic.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: