http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 05:26:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about my system's bottleneck  (Read 1002 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:17:17 AM »

Currently my system is a Core 2 Duo CPU @ 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, and a Nvidia 7600gt video card. I'm wondering, with PC gaming where its at now with games like Gears of War and Crysis, is my only bottleneck my video card since it doesn't support DX10 or do I need a quad core CPU as well to play these newer games smoothly?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:29 AM »

The video card, definitely.  You're not going to see much of an improvement with quad cores yet, and that card is a generation behind.  I'd upgrade the video card to an 8800GT (512MB) first.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:58:10 AM by Laner » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »

What is your FSB speed, and is your RAM going as fast as your FSB is capable of performing?

That's generally a really big, important one people miss.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »

Based on my own miserable experience (you can still see my tears on the walls of the Gears of War PC thread here) I would stay far away from Gears of War PC with that card/system. It's the worst kind of system hawg. Perhaps something like an 8500 or 8600 could run it.

You at least won't have my problem of requiring some strange AMD "CPU driver" to run the game. I believe it also requires a video driver so updated that it's actually from the future (2009 I think). I'm kidding on that last part. I think...  saywhat
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:07:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

I haven't been able to find charts with test results using a dual core system (at least closer to my speeds) and an 8 series video card, they all seem to use a quadcore CPU. Any links?

Also, is it worth it to buy just one card or do you need to be running two in order to get good frame rates in the newer games?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:05:04 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »

I seem to be doing ok with one card.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 30, 2008, 06:00:12 PM

I haven't been able to find charts with test results using a dual core system (at least closer to my speeds) and an 8 series video card, they all seem to use a quadcore CPU. Any links?

Also, is it worth it to buy just one card or do you need to be running two in order to get good frame rates in the newer games?

Keep in mind that on most games (that don't support dual or quad core technologies), you won't really see an improvement over having just one core. Yeah, XP/Vista can attempt to offload some of their background stuff onto other cores, but for games that don't support anything beyond a single core, your only difference will be raw processor speed.

And stick with one video card. By the time you might be interested in going SLI, odds are there will be a brand new card out that beats the older one by more than 2x.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »

I forget the card, but they one of them is actually doing SLI on a single card.

I've read somewhere this will likely be a trend, since they can always start putting multiple processors on a single card.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 01:42:13 AM »

Probably thinking of the Radeon 3870 X2.  Though it's not a new concept... multiple GPUs on one card have been around since the 3dfx days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_5
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »

So at this point my question is, with my current CPU will buying a 8800GT allow me to play Crysis and GoW at respectable framerates? Like the 30-40 range at 1680x1050 resolution (no AA, obviously)?

Sean Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: