http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 08:15:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the new PS3 update (HARDWARE PROBLEM plz move)  (Read 2365 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:19:19 AM »

For some reason, ever since I upgraded (1.8 is it now?) my PS3, whenever I exit a game, demo, whatevs - I sign off (the PSN).  And then I automatically try to sign on again and I'm unable to.  So every time I need to manually sign in.  And it's bugging me.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

*Edit* Found out it's a hardware problem - could a mod kindly move it to the hardware issues forum?  Thank ye
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:24:17 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »

no such problem here - did the update download/install without a hitch?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »

Don't have that issue, but for some reason I am getting signed off when I play DVDs or BRDs. Is that normal? Wasted a whole emeffing night where the Sigma demo could have been downloading because of that.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2007, 12:37:20 PM

Don't have that issue, but for some reason I am getting signed off when I play DVDs or BRDs. Is that normal? Wasted a whole emeffing night where the Sigma demo could have been downloading because of that.

From what I can tell the system only does background downloading when you're in the XMB.  No downloading during BD/DVD playpack or while gaming.  Maybe that will change with the 2.0 update. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 05, 2007, 12:43:43 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2007, 12:37:20 PM

From what I can tell the system only does background downloading when you're in the XMB.  No downloading during BD/DVD playpack or while gaming.  Maybe that will change with the 2.0 update. 
meeeh I hope so! Well I will just turn it on as soon as I Get home and start downloading my demos. It gets so hot I just was too freaked out to leave it on all day (12 hours at least), although I know some people have it on pretty much indefinitely. Either way, that thing is hot, and loud smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »

Loud?  Seems really quiet to me.  Hell my daughter turned it on the other day and I didn't even notice it was on until much later and that was only because of the blue and green lights. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 05, 2007, 01:22:36 PM

Loud?  Seems really quiet to me.  Hell my daughter turned it on the other day and I didn't even notice it was on until much later and that was only because of the blue and green lights. 

This seems to be a near constant debate regarding the PS3. Some website did some testing (admittedly without overly strict methodology) with a professional DB tool, and lo and behold, the PS3 actually came out the noisiest of the new consoles (with the Wii the most quiet). In my home experience (now on my second PS3, first a 20 now a 60 and two 360s-launch and replacement) the PS3 is clearly, obviously louder. It is much, MUCH hotter as well. Obviously anecdotal, but I think its a reasonably common finding.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2007, 01:50:16 PM

This seems to be a near constant debate regarding the PS3. Some website did some testing (admittedly without overly strict methodology) with a professional DB tool, and lo and behold, the PS3 actually came out the noisiest of the new consoles (with the Wii the most quiet). In my home experience (now on my second PS3, first a 20 now a 60 and two 360s-launch and replacement) the PS3 is clearly, obviously louder. It is much, MUCH hotter as well. Obviously anecdotal, but I think its a reasonably common finding.

Maybe it varies on the console model because there is absolutely no contest in my house- the 360 dwarfs the Wii and PS3 in terms of audio output.  I *always* know when the 360 is on and that's in my home office with my relatively loud PC next to it.  The PS3 is in my living room without any other notable sources of ambient noise and I can't even tell it's running from eight feet away. 

Of course I wonder which 360 that site tested since MS evidently upgraded them along the way and they are supposed to be much quieter now.

No question that the PS3 itself is hot though.

Don't know how well it will work for this purpose but I have a dB meter I use for calibrating my audio systems and I'll have to compare the three. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:20:08 PM »

Kevin-I know that the site that did the testing included different models-but I would have to find a link to see what the original 360 models did in relation to the PS3. I know the conclusion was that the 360's noise level was almost mostly determined by the type/brand of DVD drive in it.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/console-showdown-which-produces-the-most-noise/

I think that's what people are thinking of.  The Wii was actually the loudest but only when accessing media.  PS3 looks loudest on average according to that chart. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

The only time I notice fan noise from my PS3 is when I forget to leave the cabinet door it is in open during play, then it gets hot and the fan really kicks up. If I leave the door open the circulation is good and the fan never really gets that loud, I can't compare it to a 360 but I would say that it is definitely louder than the Wii.

Also, I still don't understand why Sony decided to put the power brick inside the case, I assume that the power brick is a large source of the heat and placing it outside like Microsoft did would certainly help with fan noise.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 05, 2007, 02:22:00 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/console-showdown-which-produces-the-most-noise/

I think that's what people are thinking of.  The Wii was actually the loudest but only when accessing media.  PS3 looks loudest on average according to that chart. 

Thanks for the link.  Sounds like they are using the same dB meter I have so I'll just check if for myself but I already know what my ears are telling me.  FWIW, I have a launch 360 with the godawful loud DVD drives.  Maybe when it inevitably kicks the bucket I'll get one of those much quiter 360s.

The Wii is definitely surprisingly loud during disc access- Zelda used the disc a lot and it was very noticeable.  I'm not sure what their definition of extended play is but I've put in multi-hour sessions of Resistance and watched movies upwards of 2.5 hours in length with no noticeable change in volume.  I do have it an open, well ventilated area though- if it were in my entertainment cabinet I expect that it would run much hotter. 

Quote from: Scraper on June 05, 2007, 02:26:08 PM

Also, I still don't understand why Sony decided to put the power brick inside the case, I assume that the power brick is a large source of the heat and placing it outside like Microsoft did would certainly help with fan noise.

Personally I think the internal power brick is a smart idea.  For all the cries of RTFM, needing to keep a brick in a well ventilated area is counter intuitive to most consumers and they are going to want to cram it out of the way and I think that was a likely a common source of some of the early reports of the 360 overheating.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 05, 2007, 02:22:00 PM

Ok thats the link-I was obviously thinking about the Wii when it was just idle being the quietest, forgot that the disc read was so loud.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »

If you guys can hear your consoles you obviously don't have your volume pumped up to proper levels  Tongue  The heat is going to be an issue when I get one (well, that and actually finding a place in the entertainment center to place it).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 05, 2007, 11:44:32 AM

Update installed normally without a hitch.  I'm thinking it might be my router but I haven't touched the configuration for quite awhile...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:04:04 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 05, 2007, 03:26:46 PM

Update installed normally without a hitch.  I'm thinking it might be my router but I haven't touched the configuration for quite awhile...

only reason i mentioned that is, at least on the playstation3 board, a few people with various glitches following updates have mentioned interrupted/broken downloads as a possible cause...

one suggestion i've read for fixing software glitches is to use the 'restore system' option available (somewhere) in the system menus, & then redownload the latest update. other than that, i've got no idea what's going on, & haven't read about a similar problem - sorry...

when you first boot the machine, you can automatically sign in on your account, but, after playing something, you're booted out of your account, & can no longer automatically sign back in? weird...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 04:17:44 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 05, 2007, 04:04:04 PM

Quote from: depward on June 05, 2007, 03:26:46 PM

only reason i mentioned that is, at least on the playstation3 board, a few people with various glitches following updates have mentioned interrupted/broken downloads as a possible cause...

one suggestion i've read for fixing software glitches is to use the 'restore system' option available (somewhere) in the system menus, & then redownload the latest update. other than that, i've got no idea what's going on, & haven't read about a similar problem - sorry...

when you first boot the machine, you can automatically sign in on your account, but, after playing something, you're booted out of your account, & can no longer automatically sign back in? weird...
Yeah, it's a funky problem.  I'll look into the restore system feature...

Thanks semi! (btw, do you have a PSN?)

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »

Do you have multiple accounts, like one to log in to the Japanese store? Use the triangle button when looking at your main logins to see if one is screwing with the other. You may have to reset one as the default...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »

Yeah chalk me up under the 'can't hear it' group.  In fact, it's kind of annoying since my Harmony can't turn it off, so if I switch to another activity and forget to turn the PS3 off, it'll stay on for possibly days cause I don't notice it's on.

gellar
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »

The Wii is a quiet little thing. I can hear the disc reads, but it has never bothered me and I've never felt it was really very loud. I thought it was comparable to the GameCube noise level. I can't compare to the other systems since I don't have them. My guess for why the Wii disc read is considered loud is because the unit is so tiny there really isn't anything to dampen the noise level.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 05, 2007, 04:37:21 PM

Do you have multiple accounts, like one to log in to the Japanese store? Use the triangle button when looking at your main logins to see if one is screwing with the other. You may have to reset one as the default...
Iiiinteresting... that also might be the problem.  I'll have to double check when I get home tonight (if my "Japanese demo-only" account TomCruiseYEAH is screwing with that, I'll be pissed!)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 05, 2007, 05:14:57 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on June 05, 2007, 04:37:21 PM

Iiiinteresting... that also might be the problem.  I'll have to double check when I get home tonight (if my "Japanese demo-only" account TomCruiseYEAH is screwing with that, I'll be pissed!)
YEAHTOMCRUISE!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »

I'm constantly amazed at how quiet the PS3 runs.

The 360 next to it sounds like it's going to die, every once in awhile.

My Wii?  I dunno, all I do on it is vote in the Everybody Votes Channel nowadays....

I haven't had any problems with the update, Christian.  Tebunker may be on to something, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2007, 05:20:00 PM

YEAHTOMCRUISE!!

Oh shi! I just removed you yesterday from my PS3 buddy list, because I thought you didn't have a PS3 anymore, and now you have one again. What was your alias again? CalvinGT something-something?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 05, 2007, 02:19:19 AM

For some reason, ever since I upgraded (1.8 is it now?) my PS3, whenever I exit a game, demo, whatevs - I sign off (the PSN).  And then I automatically try to sign on again and I'm unable to.  So every time I need to manually sign in.  And it's bugging me.

I have the same issue, not sure what it is though. I just sign in again and all is good
The issue did not start until I upgraded as well.
Wireless connection using Linksys WRT-54G ver 6

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »

I'll just chime in here and say that I've thought that my PS3 is louder than the Xbox 360.  Because of my current living issues, I'm using the PS3 as a DVD player and I notice it a lot while playing DVDs, especially when the fan kicks in.  I never experienced the drive when playing on my Xbox 360, but it was in a different area and a different situation.

The PS3 is definitely hot though.  Yikes.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 05, 2007, 04:17:44 PM

Thanks semi! (btw, do you have a PSN?)

you mean like semiconscious? (yes, but i'm not into multiplayer & just use it to download stuff) or a psp? (yes, & i watched the little big planet video on it via streaming from the ps3 a few days ago)...

&, for the record, my ps3 is very quiet & quite toasty on the right side...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 08:55:24 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on June 05, 2007, 07:03:17 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2007, 05:20:00 PM

YEAHTOMCRUISE!!

Oh shi! I just removed you yesterday from my PS3 buddy list, because I thought you didn't have a PS3 anymore, and now you have one again. What was your alias again? CalvinGT something-something?
Just calvin, and I don't take it personally since I just got one after a 2 month hiatus yesterday smile I got an insane deal though, and its a 60 instead of a 20, so color me happy even though right now its primarily my dvd/BRD/media center (and its a superb one at that).
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on June 05, 2007, 07:35:35 PM

Quote from: depward on June 05, 2007, 02:19:19 AM

I have the same issue, not sure what it is though. I just sign in again and all is good
The issue did not start until I upgraded as well.
Wireless connection using Linksys WRT-54G ver 6
FWIW I'm using the same router   nod

depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 03:26:54 PM »

Found out it's not a problem with my PS3 - it's a hardware problem.

Had my PS3 at another house hooked up to another TV & connected wirelessly - no problems whatsoever.  Also - I had my Xbox 360 on and my PS3.  When I turned off my PS3, my Xbox 360 SIGNED ME OFF AS WELL!  That means - it's either a router issue or modem issue.

Calvin had an idea to hook up the PS3 directly to the mode and try it.  I'll try that tonight.  Anyone else have any idea what the problem is?  It seems as though the internet connection for EVERYTHING (all game systems AND PC) sort of "blink" and don't get internet access for a couple of seconds then reconnect.  It's wonky.

Anyone have any recommendations?

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »

I have a COX connection with an Motorola SB5101, any more similarities?

All I know is that it worked fine until 1.8

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on June 11, 2007, 10:08:54 PM

I believe that's, if not exactly, my configuration as well.

I'll check tonight

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 11, 2007, 10:23:00 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on June 11, 2007, 10:08:54 PM

I believe that's, if not exactly, my configuration as well.

I'll check tonight

Also, just as a note to remind you Dep, everytime you reset your modem (unplug, plug back in, reboot) our connection gets 10x better. I would seriously consider having Comcast come in and play with the wiring-I had mine looked at and several connections were replaced and all of a sudden constant disconnects were gone -my speed still sucks ass though frown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: