http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:48:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC component upgrade options?  (Read 417 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »

It's that time of year - as a teacher I got a slew of gift cards... Ok, just about $150...

I'm thinking about upgrading my rig to keep up with the curve, or at least keep up one or two steps behind.

Currently have:
Alienware Aurora R2
Win 7 home premium 64
intel core i7 860 @ 2.80ghz
12 gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 5800 series 1024 mb
GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x 16

Anything here worth upgrading for around $150?  Or should I spend the money elsewhere, like save up for an Occulus Rift thingie?  Your help is appreciated in advance.

BZ
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:27:56 AM »

well, without knowing everything you use your PC for, i will assume at minimum, some heavy gaming. If so, the only thing worth while to upgrade is your video card... Wether it is worth it or not depends on if your current card lets you play all the games you want. It may also be worth it to save up to get an even better card. If you have a microcenter near you, the best thing is to get the best card you can and get their warranty... It pretty much works like a semi-free upgrade every 2 years...
Other than that, don't really see a need to upgrade anything else at the moment.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »

Definitely the GPU

For _only_ 150$ to upgrade with, however, options are somewhat limited. Even the 660ti still comes in ahead at around the 300$ mark. The rest of your machine is solid.

My suggestion: hold for more cash. Look for something around the 660ti level to match to the machine. (as a single gpu system, your real factor holding you back is the gpu)

My advice for futureproofing. 660ti, 3GB of ram, or better, along the curve. You can get by with 2GB atm, but the games are getting bigger and bigger. And it looks like you hold onto hardware for a while.
On the AMD side of the line, the rough equivalent is the 7950, give or take. An argument can be made for the 7870 GHz edition if you want to try and get by with 'only' 2GB of vram.

Good job on that 860 build... that was the sweet spot on the cpu for a while. (the amount of cache provided, the speed, etc... not the fastest on the block, but one step removed, and much more economical biggrin )

Atomic
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »

Cool.  Thanks for the guidance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: