http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:27:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible blown router?  (Read 1365 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:43:31 AM »

Okay, so here's the deal:

I currently have a nice config - a Linksys Wireless-G router watching over both my PC and a wireless enabled laptop.

Today, I borrowed my boss' PC from work, as he was having a few issues with it. I'm good with fixing issues, so now I have two PCs handy.

I decide to get my boss' PC online. Thinking absolutely nothing of it, I set up the router permissions (WEP and such), and try to connect it to my router.

Suddenly, my laptop (which was enjoying itself streaming music from online), loses its wireless connection to my router. And the other laptop won't connect to my router either.

So I fire up my PC. Odd - I don't have a connection to the internet.

Chalking it up as a glitch in the router, I reset the thing. I get the internet again, but for only about 20 seconds before I lose it.

Try again - exact same results.

So I reboot the router again, but I take my PC and log into the router as well and look at the settings. 20 seconds later, I can't connect to the router anymore. It's like the software inside of it just froze or something.

So I break out a pen and do a 'reset to factory defaults' button push. 20 seconds again into operation, the router freezes.

On a whim, I turn off all wireless features of my router. Like magic, my router stays online.

I just can't connect to it via anything related to it wirelessly without freezing the thing.

The router itself works great. I have 3 PCs now hooked up to it, and all three can connect to the 'net and see any shared folders between them. But as soon as I enable the wireless features of my router, the router hard locks and kills any landline connections.

Any suggestions? Or did I blow something somehow?

EDIT: Update - it looks like that a most major needed firmware upgrade fixed my issues. At least for now, anyway. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Coskesh
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 02:30:58 AM »

If this doesn't work out for you, Overstock.com has a super deal listed... a netgear 5 port Router/Switch with built-in wireless and print server capabilities.   All for only $40 or so!  I almost bought the thing and I don't even need it.  Got a Netgear router, DLink wireless router, Netgear switch, and a Linksys wireless printserver.   Maybe I'll get it and just replace all those.

Hell you can't even buy a jetdirect unit from HP for less than $60 if all you need is to network a printer.

Linky
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »

Worse comes to worse.. reflash the router with a new firmware upgrade (or even with the current one that you already have)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:25:47 AM »

Quote from: "croman"
Worse comes to worse.. reflash the router with a new firmware upgrade (or even with the current one that you already have)

That's ultimately what I had to do. My router was behind by, oh, about a year and a half worth of revisions (purchased right as G technology was appearing, as I wanted it to be current). If you don't patch those routers, laptops and PCs with that newfangled Speedboost technology will rip them apart as I found out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: