http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please recommend a Free Email Client to replace Outlook Exp.  (Read 2434 times)
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:11:34 PM »

I'm getting set to do a system reformat in the near future, since the rig's been acting Wonky. After 2 years I figure it's about time to get a fresh installation of WinXP Pro up, and finally jump to XP Pro SP2.

I've been using Outlook Express to manage my Hotmail accounts.  This week OE seems to have crapped the proverbial bed on all of my Hotmail accounts.  I suspect malware, thus the desire to do the reformat.  I have been using Avast! AV as well as the Ad-Aware + SpyBot tandem for spyware management.  I am confident that as a group they catch most things,  leading me to suspect I mindlessly opened a malware toting Email in OE's preview window before knowing what it was.  If this level of infection can happen even with weekly sweeps by all three of these programs because I had one absent minded moment, I'm thinking Outlook Express is a client I am better to avoid using.

So, hoping someone has done similar seeking, I ask you folks for a recommendation.  I'm on a dial-up connection, and trying to use CNet's downloads reviews as a guide has gotten me nowhere but frustrated at the molasses-esque and disorganized pageloads.  I should be looking the stuff up myself, but it gives me urges to beat the PC with a 9 pound hammer.

(which is a method fixes a lot of other problems permanently, but let's save that course of action under "Plan C" )

Free Email Cliets that can manage Hotmail accounts, Yahoo accounts a plus ... Who got em?

Thanks in advance

the Nightbreeze

Done posting
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 05:31:16 PM »

Quote from: "the Nightbreeze"
I'm getting set to do a system reformat in the near future, since the rig's been acting Wonky. After 2 years I figure it's about time to get a fresh installation of WinXP Pro up, and finally jump to XP Pro SP2.

I've been using Outlook Express to manage my Hotmail accounts.  This week OE seems to have crapped the proverbial bed on all of my Hotmail accounts.  I suspect malware, thus the desire to do the reformat.  I have been using Avast! AV as well as the Ad-Aware + SpyBot tandem for spyware management.  I am confident that as a group they catch most things,  leading me to suspect I mindlessly opened a malware toting Email in OE's preview window before knowing what it was.  If this level of infection can happen even with weekly sweeps by all three of these programs because I had one absent minded moment, I'm thinking Outlook Express is a client I am better to avoid using.

So, hoping someone has done similar seeking, I ask you folks for a recommendation.  I'm on a dial-up connection, and trying to use CNet's downloads reviews as a guide has gotten me nowhere but frustrated at the molasses-esque and disorganized pageloads.  I should be looking the stuff up myself, but it gives me urges to beat the PC with a 9 pound hammer.

(which is a method fixes a lot of other problems permanently, but let's save that course of action under "Plan C" )

Free Email Cliets that can manage Hotmail accounts, Yahoo accounts a plus ... Who got em?

Thanks in advance

the Nightbreeze

I believe MS is shutting off access to hotmail accounts unless you pay for the "premium" stuff which could be the reason it went all crazy.

I'm not sure what program would work best for you.  For my fiance I got her YahooPOPS to download her yahoo mail to OE.  I use gmail for my needs so all I need is a browser to tap in.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:39:07 PM »

Well, that's certainly some disappointing news.  I heard it rumored before, but I did not believe MSN would do something that unattractive to its users.  I for one certainly will not pay them for the services available at better quality and for free elsewhere.  

I have a junk funnel address, an address for my students, and an address for my writing endeavors all with MSN.  I'll take my work-related Email needs to Yahoo.  It's a shame that I'll have to close down two out of three email addresses that I've had since College, and do the junkmail shuffle on a webbrowser for the third.  

This doesn't surprise me thoguh. First I abandoned MSN's Instant messenger for it's hamfisted implementation of login features (no reason to not let someone log in as invisible!) -- and now I'm dropping two of my three MSN's Mail services for their poor treatment of users.  In a month I'll likely tire of the webbrowser solution and abandon the third MSN service, but that means I'll have to notify a bunch of folks about where to reach me before I do it.  Very inconvienent.

I'll leave the topic open in case someone figures out a way to end-around the limitations MSN set, but thanks for letting me know not to hold out much hope.

And pass the 9 pound hammer!

Done posting
Semaj
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
lol
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 07:58:22 PM »

GMAIL

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »

The OE hotmail thing was just beta.  Not 100% sure why they axed it, probably because Yahoo gets away with charging for theirs (though YahooPOPS is open source and lets you still get it so there may be a hotmail equivalent).  They might want to force people to their site to get more advertising money

One of the things that I like about gmail is the forwarding.  You could get a couple accounts and just have one forward to the other.  I still keep my hotmail account for spam and such (Google's spam filters do a pretty good job and their filters rock).  Gmail even allows for free Pop3 so you could continue using OE if you really wanted to (the web interface is great and simple for my tastes though).
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 10:23:28 PM »

Honestly, there are two reasons why I use OE or any Email client at all. When checking my mail.

1)  I can check all three of my hotmail accounts and my ISP account at once without inputting four passwords and waiting on 4+ pageloads.

2)  If my inboxes get spammed to Hades, as often some of them are wont to do, all I have to do is highlight all of the spam and click delete.  I don't have to go through a two-pageload process to just delete junkmail.

THis might not sound like a big deal, but on a sub-56K dial-up line, it's a 20 minute time savings... when it works right.

And speaking of, OE happens to be working right, for now... After I did some sweeps with the protectionware with today's latest updates. Nutty.  I also disabled the Mail Previewing in OE.  Crossing my fingers, I hope it sticks.  Still would like to know if there are alternatives, so I don't need to worry about MSN not supporting it's Parent company's email client software.  (That's a maddening thought)  This waiting for the other shoe to drop sucks.

Done posting
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 01:36:13 AM »

Well, if this helps...since you are going to XP SP2 it has Outlook Express more locked down than it has been in previous releases.  Attachments are locked out by default (you actually have to go into options to re-enable it) and it doesn't download any pictures unless you click on the navbar that pops up at the top of the screen.  This allows you to simply delete your spam, but will allow you to read the HTML e-mails that may actually be useful to you.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »

Thunderbird
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 02:26:51 PM »

Thanks, H.

If I abandon my Hotmail acounts, which Thunderbird does not support,  I'll be sure to give Thunderbird a jog around the block.  I dig Mozilla's products.

Done posting
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 05:29:47 AM »

I just use web based email.  Gmail is really nice.

Personally I recommend not installing stuff if you can get away with it, and email is one of those things you can get away with not installing if you have broadband.

As far as anti-spyware, GET SPYWAREBLASTER- I can't recommend it enough.  I have two scanners programs (ad aware and spybot), but since I've been running spywareblaster, neither of them pick up anything anymore; I havent seen anything in months.
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 11:50:41 AM »

I use Thunderbird, too. And I have it set to let the messages on the server. So I have them handy "offline" and still on the server if I check from elsewhere.

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

Another vote for Thunderbird here.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend