http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:38:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help with new rig choices  (Read 756 times)
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »

My four yr old one time monster machine went tits up this am. Will no longer even post. Pretty sure it's either the mobo or cpu and not really worth repairing.
There is a new outfit in Chicago that seems pretty cool called Uberclok. Due to money issues I need to go kinda midrange. What do you think of an E4500 oc'd to 3.0? Decent chip? XFX 8800gt 512 card a good performer? I have heard good things about 8800gt's in general. I gather from another thread that Vista 64 bit is pretty stable now. Do you think I would get more bang from Vista 64 and 4gig of Ram or Vista 32 and 2gig but a faster cpu-maybe a quad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »

I think the first thing you need to think about is your chipset on your motherboard.  You'll either want to buy one now and possibly upgrade it later if you change your mind on some stuff or pay a little more now and have some room to grow.  The biggest problem is SLI or not to SLI, SLI is really showing some gains in most benchmarks now but only Nvidia chipsets support SLI so you can't get any of the p35, X38, X48 chipsets if you want to go SLI unless you replace your mobo later on or want 2 AMD/ATI cards.  Big problem also is SLI mobo's that will support Intel quad core are only the 7xxi series of mobo's and they are expensive for a midrange system, there were some 680i revisions that were supposed to support quad core but I find it hard to gamble on it being true.  Now if you just want a single graphics card and are willing to stay with one card or upgrade the mobo later on then yeah just grab one of the older p35's or I think there is a new p45 chipset due out.

The 8800GT at the prices I've been seeing for less than $150 can't be beat for a midrange system as long as it is 512mb and not some 256mb card, I rarely see 256mb cards though.

If you can O/C the E4500 I guess I would go that route, I would probably definitely go with the cheaper mobo that can only handle 1 Nvidia card and get a faster CPU if that were my choice.

Ok O/S, Really if you have to buy a new O/S and can't use an older XP version I guess at this point I would go with Vista64 and 4 gigs of Ram, I'm running a dual boot system with 4 gigs of Ram and XP recognizes 3.25 gigs of that .  I actually haven't reinstalled my Vista32 since my last rebuild but I imagine it sees the same, I've been considering getting a 64 bit O/S as well.  But if your choice is Vista32 or Vista64 go ahead and get 64 is what I'm saying but really I would get more CPU and stick with an existing copy of XP if you could and money is that way.

Unless the prices have fallen on DDR3 I would stick with DDR2 ram so make sure the mobo you get takes DDR2 instead of DDR3 or that it has slots for both types like at least some Gigabyte boards do.  If you can still use XP go ahead and still buy 4 gigs of DDR2 at these prices.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »

For what it is worth, I was faced with a similar problem with an older machine.

I came across this Athlon X2 6000 machine at Circuit City on clearance for $449 (online order only):
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gateway-GT5656-Desktop-PC-GT5656/sem/rpsm/oid/200244/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It came the next day (even with 5 day shipping, wierd) and I stuck a Geforce 8800 GT 512MB in it from Newegg and really, I can't say enough about how great it runs. Crysis and Flight Simulator X all run incredibly well with the detail cranked up.

For a total of $500-600 you really can't beat it.

Best of all, the Gateway built quality blew me away and it is made to be upgraded (with tool-free easy access to replacing parts and instructions in the manual for upgrading everything it).

R
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

Damn Rain-where were you 3 days ago! That does sound like a sweet deal. Well, I spent more than that, but I do have a sound card and 3 years worth of support, so I will live. Funny you bring up Crysis, that will be my first game on the new rig. Now I just have to survive no gaming for 13 days.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 02:30:03 AM »

My bad  Roll Eyes, I should have spread the good news sooner.

...especially since it dropped to $429 in the last two days. I went to Circuit City and got $20 back on the difference.

Crysis is a pretty fun one and Quake Wars is tons of fun. I've been playing that one for about 4-5 months and last night I was actually stopping in-game to admire how beautiful it was...it just makes that kind of a difference.

After building computers, upgrading, ect for years this is the first desktop I have purchased new.

H
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: