http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:33:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC unable to boot (Vista 64) (Updated - still getting crashes)  (Read 796 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:53:15 AM »

My brother's PC is having some issue where it won't boot up.  I tried booting from the Vista CD, but it is not loading.  There was one BSOD where it said "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and an error about "nvstor.sys" so I tried looking these up on Google.  I saw similar issues, but nothing where the PC will not boot.  My brother said the last thing that happened was a Windows update and then it locked up.  Now, it will not boot.

Any suggestions on how to get the Vista CD to boot so I can reinstall it?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:48:53 AM by namatoki » Logged
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »

Smells like nvidia chipset driver issues. In particular, the drive controller driver, so to speak...

Could you tell us more about his system hardware?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/238283-44-bsod-vista-nvstor

Link to my google search, in case it differed from yours somehow.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=nvstor.sys&cp=9&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=nvstor.sy&pbx=1&fp=8ce0e008a607e93d

Atomic
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:58:16 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »

Well, after failing to install Vista, I noticed that the BIOS and Vista both were not seeing the HDD intermittently.  If I unplugged the SATA cable and plugged it back in, the BIOS would see it, but then the Vista installation would fail to see it again and upon reboot, the drive is again missing from BIOS.  I tried replacing the SATA cable with a new one, no change.

At that point, I decided that it must be a hardware issue and went out and bought a new HDD.  Installed the new HDD with no issue.  New drive is a Seagate Barracuda 1TB with 32 MB cache.  Old drive was a 120GB Western Digital Raptor.  I think the 10k RPM makes these drives more susceptible to failure since this was the second drive that died on me in a few years.  Oh well...
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:47:37 AM »

Okay, so a week after installing the new hard drive, he is getting blue screen errors when playing WoW.  The original error that the old hard drive was giving is back.  I did a fresh install of Vista 64 on the new drive.  I'll list the specs of the PC:

Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLI
Video card: GeForce 8800 GT x2 (SLI)
RAM: I'm not sure what brand it is, but I think it is Corsair and it's 4GB

I know for a fact that the old drive has serious issues, because when I plugged it into my PC, I would get lock ups trying to access the drive.  The thing that drives me nuts is that the new drive is getting this error.  I installed the lastest motherboard drives from Nvidia and I can't figure out how to stop these errors from coming up.

We've narrowed down the issue to come from when he uses IE and then starts up WoW, it crashes after 5 - 10 mins of playing.  But when he reboots and goes straight into WoW, no crashes for hours on end.  Any suggestions?
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »

for the record I have a pair of 74 gig raptors from the original series (37 and 74 gig units). still going strong.

as for your problem... have you tried swapping to a fresh new sata cable? I've had bad cables give me various issues in the past, including what you're seeing.

Atomic
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »

make sure you have no extra usb devices plugged in while booting.  Some usb flash drives can prevent a boot with little reason or errors.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »

The PC boots fine, it just crashes when he plays WoW and only after he starts up from a cold boot.  I replaced the SATA cable when I installed the new hard drive.

Another thing that was weird as when I did the speed test for the hard drive from the device manager.  It was really, really slow.  Not sure what else I can install or what I need to adjust to fix it.  I didn't see any BIOS options to set for the hard drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: