http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:38:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC appears to be on last leg  (Read 2716 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »

So my PC has been having odd issues for quite some time.  I have had times where it begins booting up and then just freezes mid boot, the hard drive light stops flashing and just goes solid on, and no matter how long I let it sit, it never finishes booting.  Now when I attempt to game, after 5-10 minutes I will get odd patterns, or a solid color on the screen and it just stops responding.  This morning when trying to boot up, I ended up with a solid bright blue screen, completely unresponsive.  The rig is 4+ years old at this point.  I am wondering if I wouldn't be further ahead to just try and build a new PC, or if I should try and determine which components are going bad and replace them.

Thoughts?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

Some things to try:

1) Make an Linux disc and run a memtest off of the disc. That should tell you if your RAM is going.
2) Are you sure your video card isn't what's killing you?
3) Have you redone your OS lately? What IS your OS?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 15, 2012, 03:13:07 PM

Some things to try:

1) Make an Linux disc and run a memtest off of the disc. That should tell you if your RAM is going.
2) Are you sure your video card isn't what's killing you?
3) Have you redone your OS lately? What IS your OS?

Running Vista 64-Bit.  Hasn't been redone in a year or so.  It very well could be the video car, but not positive.

Will try running memtest to see if my RAM is ok.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:44:44 AM »

Yeah, I'd check the RAM first. RAM problems can masquerade as a lot of other issues, and it's the cheapest check/fix.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »

Always, always, test the ram first. As was mentioned, most linux livecd's have a copy of memtest, but if you dont want to go that far...

http://www.memtest.org/

Atomic

(after that, borrow a psu from a working comp, and test with that) (especially if you get anything other than memory errors while testing...reboots, blinkenlights, etc)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on January 16, 2012, 11:06:20 PM

Always, always, test the ram first. As was mentioned, most linux livecd's have a copy of memtest, but if you dont want to go that far...

Atomic

(after that, borrow a psu from a working comp, and test with that) (especially if you get anything other than memory errors while testing...reboots, blinkenlights, etc)

Fantastic Gamertag. nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on January 16, 2012, 11:06:20 PM

Atomic

Ran memtest, had 0 errors, and no other issues while it ran.  I don't have any spare PSUs unfortunately.  So I am thinking of buying a new PSU, a new Video Card and Windows 7.  Looking at the followingL

Power Supply
Video Card

Now it has been a long time since I last dealt with power supplies, my current system is a dell XPS.  CPU is a Core2Quad, can't remember which one it is off the top of my head.  The power supply I am looking at states it is compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom...would that mean it is not compatible with older chip sets?  The video card is amazingly about half an inch shorter than my existing card, so it should fit into the case no problem.

As to Windows 7, is there any reason I shouldn't go with Home Premium?

Edit to add:  The RAM in the system is DDR2, 4x1GB sticks.  Was considering upgrading that, but man DDR2 is expensive.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:38:19 PM by Arkon » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »

I'd actually hold off for a month. You can install the Windows 8 beta shortly. It might be a better option than going Win7.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:21 AM »

Testing beta software on a suspect machine is Bad Mojo (tm) biggrin

Atomic
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »

Funny thing is, W7beta was rock solid - I expect the same of W8.

Also, he's fixing his system well in advance of W8beta, and would conceivably continue to run the same Vista install beyond his parts replacements until then.

Leveling out, as it were, and not dropping money on an OS he'll want to change in 6-8 months. biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »

So after reviewing a few options, I am leaning towards building a new PC.  Likely won't be starting the process for 3 or 4 weeks due to my work schedule/travel.  Here is the build I am considering:

Case - Cooler Master HAF X
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
CPU - Core i5 2500k
Power Supply - OCZ ZT Series 750W
Video Card - MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II
RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) x 2
Boot Drove SSD - Crucial M4
Storage Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM

And then likely picking up Windows 7 Home Premium.  Comes in at $1,567.90, around $10 in shipping and $45 in mail in rebates.  A bit more than I was looking to spend...I am considering reusing my existing 500 GB hard drive as a storage drive to save a bit of money.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »

Anyone have thoughts/advice on the build I am considering?  Likely going to start the build in two or three weeks.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »

that's pretty similar to a build I just did recently and it's working pretty good, so I'd say it looks pretty solid.  the HAF X is a great case, and the Crucial M4 will make you wonder how you ever lived without a SSD drive for the boot drive.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:43 AM »

I would strongly suggest not buying a 270 card for the extra 1GB of memory - you're really not going to miss it much. If the price difference is low, then fine. But the only time you're going to see a difference is in games with super high res, with extremely large textures. Unless you play games like Fallout/Skyrim/etc with 2048x2048 textures (modding the game), then I don't know how much "future-proof" you're going to get.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4137/amds-gtx-560-ti-counteroffensive-radeon-hd-6950-1gb-xfxs-radeon-hd-6870-black-edition/5 (1 yr old article)

Also, unless PHysX is important to you (and it is a marginal tech in games at this point), then I would also still keep ATI on the radar. Solid cards with decent drivers. Since you have time, go out and look critically at it. For gaming, your critical point is GPU. Take your time, and do your homework. (I'm not saying you haven't ... I'm just reinforcing the idea. biggrin)

As for the rest of it, it looks like you're avoiding the soupcan power supply (good for you!), and cases are, IMHO, a matter of opinion. I'd not be comfortable in dropping 200 bones on a case that looks like Darth Vader's lovechild with a toaster. I have a Thermaltake V9 BlacX (as I often help people out with HDD issues, and the ports are VERY convenient), but it too suffers from GBBBS (giant black blinky box syndrome). I don't recommend my case as some of the conveniences, such as the clips, are plastic and aren't as secure as I'd like them to be. If its a one-time-setup that's fine, but if you're swapping out parts, I'd go with something else.

I'd say even something as simple as this would suffice. Your money is going into your power supply (which is bottom mounted - my favorite).

Or you could look for something that is a lot more solid, such as the Sonata line of cases from Antec. I had a Sonata ][, and I loved it. The clips, the rubber grommets- none of it felt cheap, and it worked like a champ in terms of cooling and keeping fan noise to a minimum.

my 2c smile
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:58:05 AM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:25 AM »

Quote from: Purge on January 25, 2012, 04:43:43 AM

As for the rest of it, it looks like you're avoiding the soupcan power supply (good for you!), and cases are, IMHO, a matter of opinion. I'd not be comfortable in dropping 200 bones on a case that looks like Darth Vader's lovechild with a toaster. I have a Thermaltake V9 BlacX (as I often help people out with HDD issues, and the ports are VERY convenient), but it too suffers from GBBBS (giant black blinky box syndrome). I don't recommend my case as some of the conveniences, such as the clips, are plastic and aren't as secure as I'd like them to be. If its a one-time-setup that's fine, but if you're swapping out parts, I'd go with something else.

one nice thing about the HAF X is that it also has 2 HDD/SSD hot swap bays in the front.  from personal experience I'd advise against 'tool less' clips - I ran into a case where they wouldn't clamp onto the new video card, so the whole case had to be replaced with one with screws.  screws seem to be the most future proof way to go with slots.

another nice thing about the HAF X is that you can turn off the red light for the front fan, plus it has lots of fans (and most importantly filters for the fans) for good airflow if you utilize it's wire management system.  I'm running with stock cooling and my CPU idle temps are around 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit, same with the video card.  I don't think I've seen the temps go above 130F.

[edit]  oh, and it's also very quiet.  I didn't expect it with all the fans but it's loads quieter than the HAF 932 it replaced.  of course that may have also had to do with the 932 having 2 5870's in crossfired mode vs one MSI GTX 580 (with the same fan setup as the ones you posted).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:16:39 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »

Yes, but my case was half the price, with the same features you mentioned. The plastic clips (look at the pics) are simple to replace with screws, should you want to. I still use the clips as they work - they just aren`t hardy enough to be practical in system with constantly changing parts.Tongue For 200 bux you can find a better case, methinks. slywink

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »

On the video card, the price difference between the 1 GB and 2 GB cards was somewhere around $15 I believe.  I was trying to find a decent mid to high end card that wasn't going to cost half the price of the system.  The reason I didn't go with ATI is because it seems like every game I play, I invariably hear of numerous people having issues with ATI cards and drivers.  I am sure it is anecdotal at best and likely not as big of an issue as I have made it out to be, but I have always used nVidia cards..I believe the last non-nvidia card I had was back in the day where you had a 2d card and then a Voodoo 3d add on card.

I am not too concerned about the look of my case.  It doesn't sit out in a prominent location, so I was looking for features.  I wanted good cable management, good cooling, and plenty of space to handle the fact that at the current rate video cards are gonna end up being 2 feet long.  I am also a bit old fashioned in that I want to secure stuff with screws.  I don't tend to trust plastic clips.  I also looked at the Antec 1200 case, which would be a bit cheaper than the HAF X.

I am also considering dropping a bit more to put a liquid cooler on the CPU, just in case I would decide to do a bit of overclocking.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »

Note: I am *not* recommending the V9 BlacX ... just showing a 99 vs 199 system.

If your case doesn`t figure prominently, then why pay so much? Cable management is not a function of the case so much as the components and using the right tools (such as velcro tie-downs, vacuum sleeves, etc).

Don`t get me wrong, I don`t have a horse in this race, I just see you spending a lot of money on a case, and shutting out a `better bang for the buck` video card. I`d drop the extra couple of bucks at the 270 price point and get a 560 w 448 cores instead.

You will realize daily improvement on performance time and time again, as opposed to going from 1.2GB memory to 2.0GB.

Here`s an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500231

The core speed is decent, the price range is all pretty similar.

Comparison chart:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=499

I don`t believe the the 560 listed is a 2GB card, see my post above to show how the texture mem ain`t holding you back (with a link from a year ago on comparing texture memory in 6950s incl. nvidia cards in the mix)

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 25, 2012, 02:03:47 PM

Don`t get me wrong, I don`t have a horse in this race, I just see you spending a lot of money on a case, and shutting out a `better bang for the buck` video card. I`d drop the extra couple of bucks at the 270 price point and get a 560 w 448 cores instead.

You will realize daily improvement on performance time and time again, as opposed to going from 1.2GB memory to 2.0GB.

Here`s an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500231

The core speed is decent, the price range is all pretty similar.

Comparison chart:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=499

I don`t believe the the 560 listed is a 2GB card, see my post above to show how the texture mem ain`t holding you back (with a link from a year ago on comparing texture memory in 6950s incl. nvidia cards in the mix)

I agree with getting a 560TI 448 cores, but not a Zotac unit. Get the EVGA one, it's $10 cheaper, and the core/memory clock is higher. The EVGA ones are a 570 in "560Ti" clothing. smile

I have this one and it's quiet. smile The card is very long, though. It barely fits in an Antec 300.

Quote from: Arkon on January 25, 2012, 01:34:42 PM

I am not too concerned about the look of my case.  It doesn't sit out in a prominent location, so I was looking for features.  I wanted good cable management, good cooling, and plenty of space to handle the fact that at the current rate video cards are gonna end up being 2 feet long.  I am also a bit old fashioned in that I want to secure stuff with screws.  I don't tend to trust plastic clips.  I also looked at the Antec 1200 case, which would be a bit cheaper than the HAF X.

I am also considering dropping a bit more to put a liquid cooler on the CPU, just in case I would decide to do a bit of overclocking.

Yes, good idea. Antec cases have high quality for a (relatively) low price. Much better value than the case you listed before.

Liquid cooling is overkill, a good HSF is more than enough and half the price. You need a big case, which you're already considering....
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »

I realize the case isn't the only factor in cable management, but I want a case that will allow me to run all cables behind the motherboard, so very little of the cables are in the main compartment hindering airflow.  I am certainly willing to spend less money on the case and putting that towards a better video card.  Part of the other reasoning I choose the MSI card was that it is one of the coldest running cards available.  While brand shouldn't be a big deal, I would prefer to stay with MSI, Asus or Gigabyte on the video card. 

So how about:448 core, 1GB version of the MSI Twin Frozr

I don't fully understand the numbering convention with AMD cards, but MSI makes a Twin Frozr version of the Radeon 6950

Radeon 6950 by MSI

So I am certainly open to other cases, I tried doing some reading on Toms Hardware and Johnyguru about cases, but case reviews are fairly limited compared to things like CPU, Video Card and PSU reviews.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 25, 2012, 03:12:45 PM

I realize the case isn't the only factor in cable management, but I want a case that will allow me to run all cables behind the motherboard, so very little of the cables are in the main compartment hindering airflow.  I am certainly willing to spend less money on the case and putting that towards a better video card.  Part of the other reasoning I choose the MSI card was that it is one of the coldest running cards available.  While brand shouldn't be a big deal, I would prefer to stay with MSI, Asus or Gigabyte on the video card. 

So how about:448 core, 1GB version of the MSI Twin Frozr

I don't fully understand the numbering convention with AMD cards, but MSI makes a Twin Frozr version of the Radeon 6950

Radeon 6950 by MSI

So I am certainly open to other cases, I tried doing some reading on Toms Hardware and Johnyguru about cases, but case reviews are fairly limited compared to things like CPU, Video Card and PSU reviews.

As far as the case, even an Antec 300 has space for the cables, it might not be behind the motherboard tray, but it's there behind the storage. The Antec 1200 is a very nice case.

I'll dissent on this one, don't bother with AMD. Their drivers are not very good for games. They had been doing really well until lately, when their drivers went to crap. Between RAGE, Arkham City and Skyrim (all for different reasons) their driver releases haven't been that good lately. If you're going to run a multi-monitor setup with more than 2 monitors, AMD is your best bet, and I'll recommend an AMD card every time. For everyone else, just pickup the nVidia card and have PhysX, CUDA and better drivers.

I'd also not bother with the MSI 560 Ti 448, it's $20 more expensive and the cooling solution isn't worth the extra money. Additionally, you're going to have to manually overclock the card to the EVGA speeds anyway (MSI = 750 core clock, EVGA 797 core clock).
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 24, 2012, 10:56:26 PM

Anyone have thoughts/advice on the build I am considering?  Likely going to start the build in two or three weeks.

What about a burner/dvd/blu?

I'm actually considering a Silverstone FT-02 case. Sure you guys will love that...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »

EVGA is a solid card mfgr, my link above was an example only. I've owned powercolor as well as EVGAs and have never had problems with them. I've actually had more problems with ASUS than any other card (incl. ASUS cards on ASUS mainboards!!)

As for the case, as I said earlier, something like a Sonata (or anything from Antecs silent line) would be IMHO a better pick than a case with omgblinkylights. I have no experience with either the 300 or 1200 lines, but if they've maintained their pedigree, I'd say go for it. Higher end Antec cases have fantastic connections and keep noise to a minimum.

TL;DR?

I agree with Calavera on both of those points.

As to the AMD cards, we'll have to agree to disagree. While some driver issues may have held back some gamers, my brother is playing those games using my 5770 with nary a problem.

I have no reluctance to recommend it, and while the list of "CUDA" and "PHYSX" may sweeten the deal, as I listed above, there is a VERY small adoption rate of either of those technologies. Fact is, companies are moving to the GPU agnostic platforms such as ODE and Havok for physics ... good luck finding a useful CUDA app, and then when you do, enjoy the price.

Interesting point brought up - how many monitors do you have?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »

BD drives are unnecessary unless you actually *will* pay the price for the media.

I've got two burners in my system, one is a lightscribe (because I like it, dammit!). slywink

I think I cut 5 disks a year. Maybe 6.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »

I will be running on a single 21" Dell Monitor that is about 4 years old, default res is 1680x1050.  I am likely going to just reuse one of the DVD drives from my old PC.  In all my years I have yet to ever burn a single DVD let alone a CD.

Edit to add: For the case, I don't care about the LED lighting on the fans, which I believe can be turned off on the HAF X.  I was purely looking at space inside, cable routing/management as I want to be able to put cables behind the motherboard tray, expansion capabilities and cooling.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:33:38 PM by Arkon » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »

Silverstone FT02, B, or B-W?

Like I said, you could find a better case for 200 bones. Looks like you did. I like the case design, and certainly like the intuitive airflow. The only challenge you may face is looking for 90 degree adapters for certain cables. I assume the cables wrap on the sides and out the back or front.

I like it! Not crazy about the price, but I do like the case.

Also, no blinkylights seizures. biggrin

Good idea about the DVD drive, although a new one is 20bux.

Have you considered a slightly cheaper case, and putting out for a second (bigger, better) monitor? Once you have two, you'll not want to go back down to one. biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »

At this point I am not sure I see the benefit of dual monitors when it comes to gaming.  For work, dual monitors are great due to the number of apps I usually have open.

And as my edit said, I really don't care for all the LEDs but most every case I have found that has good airflow, filters on the fans, good cable routing etc, come with LEDs by default.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:36 PM »

LEDs make your computer go faster.  smile

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

one other thing about the video card (this will probably apply to your new choice too):  read the reviews and make sure you're getting a big enough case.  it's another reason why I plan on only go with full tower cases from now on-  they just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.  the 580 I have and 5870's I had were fairly long and bulky due to the cooling fans.

the Antec looks decent, it's only about 10 bucks cheaper than the HAF X in the long run ($159 plus 10 bucks shipping now vs $179 HAF after rebate w/ free shipping)  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 25, 2012, 05:02:36 PM

also, put streamers on your fans.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2012, 07:28:01 PM

one other thing about the video card (this will probably apply to your new choice too):  read the reviews and make sure you're getting a big enough case.  it's another reason why I plan on only go with full tower cases from now on-  they just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.  the 580 I have and 5870's I had were fairly long and bulky due to the cooling fans.

the Antec looks decent, it's only about 10 bucks cheaper than the HAF X in the long run ($159 plus 10 bucks shipping now vs $179 HAF after rebate w/ free shipping)  icon_twisted

Yeah, price wise the cases aren't that far apart.  The Antec case is a bit nicer on the eyes at least.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 25, 2012, 04:40:09 PM

At this point I am not sure I see the benefit of dual monitors when it comes to gaming.  For work, dual monitors are great due to the number of apps I usually have open.

And as my edit said, I really don't care for all the LEDs but most every case I have found that has good airflow, filters on the fans, good cable routing etc, come with LEDs by default.

And they're probably seriously noisy fans as well. Just get a cheaper case that is well made and spend the difference on better fans smile Nexus fans are way nicer than anything you're going to get with a case (even Antec's Tri-Cools).

I thought that was Type-R stickers  icon_twisted
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »

Reviews I have read on the HAF X actually state it is a fairly quiet case overall...but I will look into Nexus fans.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on January 25, 2012, 08:25:11 PM

I thought that was Type-R stickers  icon_twisted

Stickers are the new LEDs.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »

So parts have been ordered from Amazon.  I ended up waffling on the case, and was close to pulling the trigger on the Antec 1200, but in the end, I went with the HAF X.  I just didn't feel comfortable with the sizing in the mid tower cases.  I realize I spent more on my case than I probably should have.  Will be starting the build on Friday most likely.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 07, 2012, 06:46:40 PM

So parts have been ordered from Amazon.  I ended up waffling on the case, and was close to pulling the trigger on the Antec 1200, but in the end, I went with the HAF X.  I just didn't feel comfortable with the sizing in the mid tower cases.  I realize I spent more on my case than I probably should have.  Will be starting the build on Friday most likely.

Great-looking case. I gave a lot of consideration to the HAF X. Ultimately, I plan to go with an FT-02, but I think you made a great choice.

I hadn't really planned to build anything until March, but I have already bought the PS, CPU cooler, & SSD. The last major decision I had to make (not counting waffling on the case between the Ft-02 and RV-02e) was what graphics card to get, and I think I have finally settled on the HIS IceQ Turbo 6970. It wasn't a goal when I started, but the system should be whisper quiet at idle and pretty close to that at full load. Purge is going to have an aneurysm when he sees some of the parts I have picked out.  saywhat

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 07, 2012, 08:56:55 PM

Quote from: Arkon on February 07, 2012, 06:46:40 PM

Great-looking case. I gave a lot of consideration to the HAF X. Ultimately, I plan to go with an FT-02, but I think you made a great choice.

I hadn't really planned to build anything until March, but I have already bought the PS, CPU cooler, & SSD. The last major decision I had to make (not counting waffling on the case between the Ft-02 and RV-02e) was what graphics card to get, and I think I have finally settled on the HIS IceQ Turbo 6970. It wasn't a goal when I started, but the system should be whisper quiet at idle and pretty close to that at full load. Purge is going to have an aneurysm when he sees some of the parts I have picked out.  saywhat

My current PC would never be accused of being quiet, so I doubt the HAF X will be any worse, if anything given the large fans, it should end up quieter than my current machine.  My parts start arriving tomorrow, unfortunately the CPU won't be in until Thursday.  I looked pretty long at the Radeon cards, but I just can't get over the horror stories I have heard with the drivers.

Are you going to do any overclocking?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »

Yeah, my current machine sounds like a leaf blower at idle. I had downloaded a tv episode to watch with my kids the other night (on a diff machine) and the fan noise was making me crazy until I shut it off.

Quote from: Arkon on February 07, 2012, 10:06:43 PM

The CPU absolutely. Ive been running my 2.4 Q6600 at 2.93 for ages. The 2500k has tons of OC overhead, and I'll be cooling it with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 I got on sale for 63 dollars. I should have no trouble cranking it up while keeping it cool and quiet. I wouldn't expect to OC the Graphics, though. Not worth it for a few percent gain. The card I mentioned before happens to come with a slight OC.

How about yourself?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:11:58 PM by Misguided » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »

for what it's worth I've been running the i5 2500K without OC and haven't found a need to do so yet.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 07, 2012, 11:05:53 PM

Yeah, my current machine sounds like a leaf blower at idle. I had downloaded a tv episode to watch with my kids the other night (on a diff machine) and the fan noise was making me crazy until I shut it off.

Quote from: Arkon on February 07, 2012, 10:06:43 PM

The CPU absolutely. Ive been running my 2.4 Q6600 at 2.93 for ages. The 2500k has tons of OC overhead, and I'll be cooling it with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 I got on sale for 63 dollars. I should have no trouble cranking it up while keeping it cool and quiet. I wouldn't expect to OC the Graphics, though. Not worth it for a few percent gain. The card I mentioned before happens to come with a slight OC.

How about yourself?

I have never done any overclocking int he past, but they have made it so easy that I just can't pass it up.  Going to OC the CPU for sure, and from the feedback I got on tomshardware, the video card I picked up over-clocks very well so I may test the waters on that.  I can't wait to get started, haven't built a PC in ages.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: