http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal email warning  (Read 1224 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:15 AM »

I just received an email to update my PayPal account before 30th November or else my account will be suspended

I was more than happy to do this,however it came into my Junk folder,which made me a bit weary

it looked authentic enough(i guess to someone who doesn't know what they should look for) but when i clicked the link i got this page

you can see that when i clicked on the link,the link address had nothing to do with PayPal

so i am guessing my PayPal account does not need updating then

its getting fucking scary now,because one day they will get me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »

Always, always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS highlight the link in question (it'll show you where it's going to at the bottom of your browser) BEFORE you visit ANYTHING requesting that you 'update your account or else we'll close it'.

Why?

NO SITE, GAME, OR BANK DOES SUCH A THING.

You're lucky you got the warning blocker instead of the actual site, because who knows what the site could've grabbed from your PC. Like say your user/pass for Paypal, among other things.

EDIT: I get 'we will close your WoW account' messages practically daily. Not a subscriber. I'm also seeing them for some F2P MMO (forgot which one), too. Don't even have an account there. It's a very popular scam.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:16:02 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »

See also my recent post about how you never ever ever, no matter what, no matter never. NEVER click through an email link to a website. If you no clickie link, phisher no catch phish. If you feel the email is legit, manually surf and check your accounts. Not through the email.

The best phisher in the world cannot succeed if you don't take the bait.

Atomic
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 17, 2011, 07:11:03 AM

Always, always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS highlight the link in question (it'll show you where it's going to at the bottom of your browser) BEFORE you visit ANYTHING requesting that you 'update your account or else we'll close it'.

Exactly... just hover over it to 'highlight' it as noted.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

With 'your account needs your attention!' emails, don't use the links at all.  Especially when it comes to paypal.  Just type in the URL yourself, and if something needs your attention, it will be clearly marked there.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »

I got the same email, but actually went to the site, logged in and updated all my information including the bank account they asked to verify.

Of course, my login was [email protected] and password was jigalo69. For the name and address and bank account fields, I entered similar names and streets from movies.

At the end I submitted the 'updated' information, and the paypal website thanked me for updating my information.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »

I should of known about the hover method,thanks guys

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 17, 2011, 03:40:27 PM

I got the same email, but actually went to the site, logged in and updated all my information including the bank account they asked to verify.

Of course, my login was [email protected] and password was jigalo69. For the name and address and bank account fields, I entered similar names and streets from movies.

At the end I submitted the 'updated' information, and the paypal website thanked me for updating my information.

The downside to this is that the phishers may put a tracking number on the link in your email, which means that as soon as you visit their webpage they know your email is not only being read, you also clicked their phishing link, making you a very popular target for further spam.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2011, 06:59:08 PM

I should of known about the hover method,thanks guys

if you know HTML you can also view the message source and see if a link is legit without even opening the email.  for example, this one I got claming to be from Netflix today had these lines:

Code:
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Please Click the link below and follow the instructions:</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;<A href="http://uo-kansk.cross-edu.ru/Inc/online.html">https://www.netflix.com</A></P></BODY></HTML>

damn Russians.

[edit]  dang, deleted it but I also got an email from 'Runescape' with the subject title mentioning my Battle.Net account.  FAIL icon_lol
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:56:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »

Send me your paypal login info, and I'll make sure they don't get your money. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »

just got this one now,not as fancy as the last one,but still gets me worried,there was no link to click on this time

it came with a big form to fill out for if you did not add the email address(name,address,debit card number,mothers maiden name,LOL)

As i don't use PayPal that much i am seriously thinking of cancelling my account altogether,even though i was thinking of using it for XBL transactions because of the whole PSN thing,but i am getting fed up of these,i get a hell of a lot of spam and phishing stuff and i am blocking pretty much a dozen things everyday,but admittedly these PayPal ones look the most authentic

I don't know anyone called Laura,i do however have someone on my email contact list with a Comcast email,not sure if they can go off that though

Is anybody else getting these from 'PayPal' ?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »

Uh, why don't you just login to paypal.com directly and verify that what they are saying occurred manually?

Also it doesn't seem legit in that they didn't properly spell the word temporarily.

It'd help if you also posted the header of the email, as that generally can tell you whether something is legit or fake.  I don't know how to tell you how to display that information in Hotmail though.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »

The header was 'You have changed your PayPal email address‏' from 'notice@ ppal.com' (Gap added so it wouldn't serve as a link)

I have closed my account now,but in the reasons why i left i explained to them all this,and the last spam as well...better safe than sorry when i don't use the account

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 13, 2011, 07:57:43 PM

The header was 'You have changed your PayPal email address‏' from 'notice@ ppal.com' (Gap added so it wouldn't serve as a link)

I have closed my account now,but in the reasons why i left i explained to them all this,and the last spam as well...better safe than sorry when i don't use the account

ppal.com the domain is clearly not owned by PayPal, so it's not legit (http://whois.sc/ppal.com)

As far as closing the account goes, the email you received is not in the least the fault of PayPal's, nor do they have any way of preventing it.  I'm certainly all for closing accounts you don't need, but these sorts of things are out of the control of the site being spoofed.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »

Thanks for that Geller(that's a pretty useful link By the way...Marchex sales from Las Vegas..bastards!!)

When explaining about why i closed my account i didn't actually make it out to be their fault,i did however go into detail,so maybe they could help stop this kind of thing,or at least be more aware of it(as i don't think it would of hurt to make them more aware if not already),and i thanked them as well for their services when i did use it  thumbsup
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:23:53 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

Man, in this day and age you've got to learn how to deal with spam emails. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 06:34:39 AM »

This thread leaves me speechless. If someone who is reasonably computer savvy (which I suspect everyone at this forum is) even considers for a second that these emails may be authentic and even cancels his PayPal account over it, it's no wonder why this kind of spam kept being sent.

A little critical thinking never hurt anyone, but you'd never be able to tell considering how few who actually try it out.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 14, 2011, 06:34:39 AM

If someone who is reasonably computer savvy (which I suspect everyone at this forum is) even considers for a second that these emails may be authentic and even cancels his PayPal account over it, it's no wonder why this kind of spam kept being sent.

I think that's an incorrect assumption.  Being on a gaming site message board means you own a computer, not that you know anything about how the internet works.

That's the issue - my parents have a computer and would absolutely fall for this crap because they just don't know any better.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

The thing is i am a member of lots of services on the net,and i don't get any spam mail pretending to be them,except PayPal,and as said these emails are much more convincing than other spams,i mean just look at that profile update form,doesn't look any different from official ones(it's even got the credit card picture on where to find your security code)..usually spam emails send this

Congrats'
Today We gratefully announce you winner of 1 million pounds
in the ongoing Euro Mega Million lottery for December 2011,
hence your details is required for claim.
Full Name
Mobile
Address
Country .

Manager 
National Lottery Board
United Kingdom

I have never had spam mail with proper pictures and logos either,especially when the logo on the spam is the actual PayPal logo

Quote from: TiLT on December 14, 2011, 06:34:39 AM

even considers for a second that these emails may be authentic and even cancels his PayPal account over it, it's no wonder why this kind of spam kept being sent.

also I have never had PayPal spam emails until i joined PayPal,which is another excellent reason to close my account if i also don't use it

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »

I'm shocked you haven't gotten any of the World of Warcraft spam mails then. I get at least one a day, and they all 'look' official (short of some poor spelling and an obvious 'if you hover over this link to see its destination it's obviously fake' bit).

All images and logos can EASILY be obtained from the real site and plastered into e-mails. The only thing protecting you is to think about what you're looking at before you dive right in.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 15, 2011, 04:59:56 PM

I'm shocked you haven't gotten any of the World of Warcraft spam mails then. I get at least one a day, and they all 'look' official (short of some poor spelling and an obvious 'if you hover over this link to see its destination it's obviously fake' bit).

All images and logos can EASILY be obtained from the real site and plastered into e-mails. The only thing protecting you is to think about what you're looking at before you dive right in.

I have not had any actual WoW spams,but millions of Battle.net...but they don't look convincing at all,and the fact that i had never even heard of Battle.net before my first spam came claiming to be them icon_biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 15, 2011, 04:43:19 PM

also I have never had PayPal spam emails until i joined PayPal,which is another excellent reason to close my account if i also don't use it

There is absolutely no relation. PayPal has grown to the size and power that they have to be just about as secure as a real bank. Nobody has access to your account information. That you suddenly started getting PayPal spam happened by pure random chance. You being registered or not at PayPal will make no difference whatsoever regarding your security, your received spam, or what the spammers know about you. The only danger is yourself and whether you respond to spammers. Hell, I've received spam like that from people pretending to be my local bank, and then we're talking about a niche market (Norway) with a niche language (Norwegian). PayPal is huge, and spammers can easily afford spending a little time sending their emails to random addresses simply because membership is so common.

Ignore all emails that tell you that you need to update your account information. Never follow links you receive in emails. Never open attachments from unknown sources (or known sources if the email received is out of character). Those three rules are all you need to be safe in the world of email.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: