http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 11:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Partition size for xp pro and reformat questions  (Read 1781 times)
algernon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2004, 05:32:23 PM »

I am going to reformat my new dell.

it has an 80 gig HD.

I am a newbie with regards to partitions.

Is it worth it / easy to create separate partitions for XP and other files?

What size partition for XP Pro?

What are the benefits to partitioning?

If I format with partitions? Do I put other files in the OS partition (MS word, etc?

Do I need to zero out my hd first or just insert XP disc in and go from there?  It came preformatted with all the new system bloatware and I want it fresh & clean.

One more thing:  I haven't even booted the system yet.  Should I boot it as shipped from Dell to check it out or just wipe and reformat?

Thanks in advance.
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 07:47:17 PM »

Partitioning has several benefits.

The primary one would be the ability to boot to multiple operating systems.  This probably doesn't apply to you.

Less fragmentation.  It is also quicker to defrag smaller partitions.

Backups.  This won't help if the drive fails, but if you need to reformat the primary partition for a fresh Windows install then your data on the other partitions will remain.

Organization.  This is why I do it.  I have 370 GB on two physical drives.  I have them formatted into 10 different partitions (C-L).  Makes organizing things easier/more logical for me.  You could also do this with one 80 GB drive, and just use subfolders, but I don't find this as elegant.

You can either create your partition when you install your clean drive by using fdisk or you can do it at a later time with a utility like Partition Magic.

I would reccomend allocating at least 10 GB for the primary partition.  My Windows XP Pro install is 1.85 GB.  I have used about 10 of my 25 GB primary partition for XP and other applications such as Office and my "Documents and Settings" folder.  I chose to install my applications on the primary partition along with the OS because these apps will need to be reinstalled regardless.  That would leave you around 70 GB to divide as you like.  Perhaps a partition for downloads and backups and another for games would make sense to you?

You do not need to format your hard drive.  When you run fdisk your hard drive will be wiped.

Hope that is some help.  If you need more, just ask.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 09:11:10 PM »

I would recommend that you boot the PC up first and play around with it to make sure everything works just in case.

When you're ready just boot up the Windows XP CD and follow the directions to set up some partitions.  I would also recommend multiple partitions.  Use at least 2, the first for the OS and programs and the second for your data.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 04:11:11 AM »

I also like to keep my O/S and apps on a seperate partion from the rest of my data. Personally I use 2 hard drives to do this. My primary drive holds my O/S and any applications i.e. Office, Photoshop etc. My second drive I usually split into two partitions, one for my games, programs and save files, the second and last partition I use for downloads, mp3's etc. basically storage of any misc. files. As mentioned having multiple partitions make reinstalling alot easier, If I need to reinstall XP I dont loose any of my saved data, just the applications themselves. Since I do alot of uninstalling and reinstalling of games having this on a seperate partition I avoid alot of fragmentation on the primary drive as well. The other advantage is having a nice 10gig or so( I tend to use 16-20gig drives as my primary) for windows swapfile.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 04:13:54 AM »

I have XP Pro and a 80gig also..I made my partitions 10gig and 70gig..I installed the OS on the 10gig...its just right for the OS and everything you need for it and utils

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 04:41:46 PM »

Ya I agree with the 10 gigs for the O\S. I had made a 4 gig one once and it worked for a while till service pack 2 came out. Couldn't get it to install since it was so large.

It's so much fater to reinstall Windows when it gets gunked up as well. As long as you install all apps to the other partiion then you can just format and reinstall the o\s. With broadband it's a snap to reinstall all the drivers also. Gone are the days where I would forget a driver and spend a hour downloading it again.

I also recommend making a folder when you keep all your downloads. You can make subfolders and this makes it extremly easy to find all your stuff later.  Of course you would put this on the partition without the O\S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: