http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 04:59:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: overclocking processor  (Read 1386 times)
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:19:39 AM »

does anyone know how to go about OC'ing a pentium processor?  i think my motherboard has pre-sets on doing it, but i'm not exactly sure what is what when i open up the BIOS.  i have the D845GBV chipset.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:21:12 PM »

Some boards do not support overclocking.  With the practice you generally need to boost the Front Side Bus speed and alter something on how the processor runs.  The latter varies depending on what processor it is; some you need to raise the voltage, some the core clock speed, etc.

You also need to make sure your memory can handle the increased speed; if it doesnt work, most of the time it will be an issue with the memory.

Personally, I prize reliability over speed.  The only computer Ive overclocked was the old Celeron 300a with a BH6 mobo, which was a pretty solid way to get a 450 MHz PC.  It was possible to go beyond that, but I never really cared to try, especially since there were reports of peripheral cards not working when you raised up the bus speed too much.

[edit] There are actually sites dedicated to overclocking.  Try the forums at HardOCP, see if they have info on your specific mobo.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 01:22:09 PM »

Check out this site for overclocking, especially the forums:

http://www.overclockers.com

If your mobo came in a pc like a Dell, you wont be able to overclock it as Intel branded mobo's dont give you the options to do it.

That said I've been running my P4 3.0c at 3.5ghz stable for about a year now us a ABit AI7 mobo.

-Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: