http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:34:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OSX AntiVirus  (Read 876 times)
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »

I have started using my mac more and more and need to install an antivirus program. I figure there are a bunch of user here that use macs, what would you recommend?
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »

Unless you're worried about spreading viruses to other PC users, there's no need for antivirus in OS X. If you look at the databases for the antivirus programs, you'll see they are all PC viruses.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 26, 2009, 11:43:17 PM

Unless you're worried about spreading viruses to other PC users, there's no need for antivirus in OS X. If you look at the databases for the antivirus programs, you'll see they are all PC viruses.

Most != All.

There are some fairly significant OSX viruses in the wild - though the majority of them require you to be fairly stupid to be affected by.

That being said I really have no significant experience with OSX AV software... sorry I wish I was more help.

gellar
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:36:09 AM »

ClamXav seems to be the go-to app at the moment. http://www.clamxav.com/
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »

According to Mac ads, OSX is utterly incapable of contracting any form of virus.  That only happens on the PC.  So if you do get a virus, rest assured that nothing detrimental is happening to your Mac, it is functioning properly.  You are simply incapable of comprehending it's perfection.  biggrin

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 27, 2009, 01:36:09 AM

ClamXav seems to be the go-to app at the moment. http://www.clamxav.com/

I don't know if it's any different in the Mac world as they might have better measures in place overall, but running signature/heuristic only AV is just a small step above not running anything at all these days.  You're going to want something that has FW and IPS built in as well.

gellar
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with iAntiVirus http://www.iantivirus.com/ for now. But it looks like to get full protection I will need to buy something like Norton.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:09:48 PM »

Quote from: crumsteel on October 28, 2009, 04:57:58 PM

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with iAntiVirus http://www.iantivirus.com/ for now. But it looks like to get full protection I will need to buy something like Norton.

Oh god, for the love of baby Jesus, please don't get Norton. It's worse than a virus itself. It will fuck your machine up, and it's impossible to remove. Norton is a complete scam on OS X (and Windows too).

Why are you so paranoid anyway? Do you routinely idiotically download random things from shady sites *and* grant it sudo access to your hard drive?

The best antivirus is your brain.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 28, 2009, 07:09:48 PM

Quote from: crumsteel on October 28, 2009, 04:57:58 PM

Oh god, for the love of baby Jesus, please don't get Norton. It's worse than a virus itself. It will fuck your machine up, and it's impossible to remove. Norton is a complete scam on OS X (and Windows too).

Why are you so paranoid anyway? Do you routinely idiotically download random things from shady sites *and* grant it sudo access to your hard drive?

The best antivirus is your brain.

Nope not downloading from shady sites. For two reasons I want  an antivirus. 1. There are viruses on a mac, that I will probably never get, but I don't want one. 2. I use thumb drives in it and transfer files with Win32 machines, the virus may not activate on the mac but will if I get it to the windows machine - could be a file I got from someone else.

Just don't want any chance of a virus.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:07:58 AM »

Whatever you do, don't get Norton for the Mac. It's bad on the PC, but even worse on the Mac.

Your best bet is getting ClamAV which can be downloaded for free. You don't need it running all the time unlike on a Windows PC. Just run it and scan files on your thumb drive.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:11:26 AM by Rumpy » Logged
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 30, 2009, 02:07:58 AM

Whatever you do, don't get Norton for the Mac. It's bad on the PC, but even worse on the Mac.

Your best bet is getting ClamAV which can be downloaded for free. You don't need it running all the time unlike on a Windows PC. Just run it and scan files on your thumb drive.

Going to second Rumpy's advice smile

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 06:30:41 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 30, 2009, 06:23:23 AM

You guys mean "I second ravenvii's advice" and "I third ravenvii's advice smile", don't you?  Tongue

biggrin
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 28, 2009, 07:09:48 PM

Oh god, for the love of baby Jesus, please don't get Norton.

This.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »

FWIW, MacHeist is giving away "Virus Barrier X5" as part of their latest promo... never heard of it before, just passing along the info:

http://www.macheist.com/facebook
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 30, 2009, 06:30:41 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 30, 2009, 06:23:23 AM

You guys mean "I second ravenvii's advice" and "I third ravenvii's advice smile", don't you?  Tongue

biggrin

Ahem Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: