http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera or Firefox?  (Read 2308 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »

Just curious, which one should I use?  I have only been using Firefox and IE7, but I am curious if Opera is any good.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »

Are you dissatisfied with either FF or IE to where you would want to use another browser?  The good thing about either FF or especially IE is that they are the most widely used browsers out there, therefore most web developers ensure (or should ensure) that their site is compatible with both.  When you start messing with other browsers, sites may not display properly, etc.  I don't personally use Opera, so I can't tell you too much about it from a browsing side.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »

Rick,

I was thinking the same exact thing.  I think I will just stick with those two (firefox + IE7) and call it a day smile  Just wanted to gather some more opinions on the subject. 

unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:40:03 PM »

The only thing I like FF for is printing.  If MS could finally, after years and years, figure out how to get a page to print without chopping off the right margin... I'd have no use for FF at all.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »

IE7 fixed that problem, IIRC
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 29, 2007, 09:58:53 PM

IE7 fixed that problem, IIRC

That figures.  For some odd reason, they won't push down the upgrade to IE7.  I have NO idea why, it's superior to IE6 in every way.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »

Actually, aren't they pushing the upgrade through Windows Update?  I know that every computer I have updated, Windows Update pushed IE7 onto the computer.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:16:39 AM »

Opera is fast, i like it for that.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on November 30, 2007, 12:16:39 AM

Opera is fast, i like it for that.

As long as it works with our backend...I won't complain.  That is the only thing I am worried about.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:32:36 PM »

I've tried Opera and like it but it still has problems with some sites I went too(I know thats not Opera's fault as its totally standards complaint but it happens just the same). Plus the extension support Firefox has still makes it my main browser.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »

go with Safari!!!!

<snicker>

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 08:51:15 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 30, 2007, 05:32:36 PM

I've tried Opera and like it but it still has problems with some sites I went too(I know thats not Opera's fault as its totally standards complaint but it happens just the same). Plus the extension support Firefox has still makes it my main browser.

Yeah, the extensions do bring out Firefox to the front smile

unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 29, 2007, 10:50:25 PM

Actually, aren't they pushing the upgrade through Windows Update?  I know that every computer I have updated, Windows Update pushed IE7 onto the computer.

No.  They are weird here.  They do push out some updates, but they are using a push installer rather than Windows Update (WSUS).  That's bizarre, since WSUS works really, really well.  But whatevs, all the network stuff is officially someone else's problem.  I can't figure out the reason for half the things they goof up, so I just stopped worrying about it.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »

I switched from Opera to Firefox quite some time ago.  I can't remember exactly why.  I like the extensions to Firefox though.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »

Never tried Opera but I love Firefox. I began in 1994 using Netscape and then moved on to IE when it came out. But then I found Firefox about 3 years or so ago and never looked back.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 07, 2007, 08:51:11 PM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 29, 2007, 10:50:25 PM

No.  They are weird here.  They do push out some updates, but they are using a push installer rather than Windows Update (WSUS).  That's bizarre, since WSUS works really, really well.  But whatevs, all the network stuff is officially someone else's problem.  I can't figure out the reason for half the things they goof up, so I just stopped worrying about it.

Ah, okay, I was looking at it through the glasses of my field of work.  That is what I get for assuming Unbreakable smile

unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 03:35:13 AM »

I used to do all the networking stuff (on most jobs, I mean that literally).  Now I do far less, and have far less stress, which makes me happy since it didn't involve a pay cut either.

So yeah, there's tons of stuff I see all the time which I have no idea why it's done that way.  But since it seems like there's not even good answers to those kinds of questions, I've decided to just let them do their thing and not worry about doing other people's job.  If they want my opinion, they can get both barrels, but now I'm pretty happy to just do my thing and leave at the end of the day.

Not that it stops me from complaining about the stuff they end up screwing up which I end up having to deal with, but oh well  disgust
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »

I guess Opera is more worried about IE than Firefox, judging by their lawsuit...

Opera Files Antitrust Suit Against Microsoft
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140528-c,microsoftantitrustcase/article.html
The complaint, which was filed with the European Commission on Wednesday, says Microsoft is abusing its dominant position in the desktop PC market by offering only Internet Explorer as a standard part of Windows, and hindering interoperability by not following accepted standards with IE.
I can understand the last part in particular. I've tried using Opera now and then. It works OK, but too many sites don't follow the various page standards, and I often ran into sites that didn't display or function properly (this was some time ago though), esp. dicey if you're purchasing stuff online.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 13, 2007, 06:11:26 PM

I guess Opera is more worried about IE than Firefox, judging by their lawsuit...

*YAWN*

No, the problem is that Opera sells their browser (or at least they used to - I don't know now), and since 100% of all Windows installs comes with a perfectly functional (but not necessarily good) browser, there's no need to get another one. Especially when you have to pay for it.

To answer the original question though - been a Netscape user for years, switched to Firefox a LONG time ago, and I have no reason to use anything else but Firefox (short of the sites that require it - and even then some of those can be gotten around via a plugin).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure opera went completely free when they got bought by someone else.

I forget the whole story. I know I have opera on my computer though, with no ads of any kind, and I never paid for it nor did I pirate it. My download came from Opera's official site.

*edit*

Yeah, just checked and Opera is free.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 06:58:37 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 07:12:47 PM »

I have to use IE for one work related thing. I tried an ActiveX Plugin for Firefox, and the thing still didn't work. It's an online newsletter site, and if you try to use the "editing view" in Firefox, it does nothing. Other than that though, FF has been fine for everything.

At the time I used Opera, it had a fairly obnoxious animated ad window that you couldn't close or disable. That and various incompatibilities finally convinced me to ditch it. I don't think it's that way anymore, but Last Impressions sometimes last a long time.  Tongue

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 09:00:06 PM »

1. Unless Opera also filed suit against Apple to get Safari unbundled from OSX, their lawsuit is hypocritical and without merit.

2. It's completely absurd to have a modern operating system ship without a web browser.  I would even go so far as to say the operating system has, for most people, simply become a vehicle TO the web browser.

Hey Opera: 1980 called, they want their business model back.  Get a brain! Morans
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on December 13, 2007, 06:56:50 PM

Yeah, just checked and Opera is free.

Well, I didn't know, and knowing is half the battle.

And you can't just 'unbundle' IE from Windows. It's part of the OS. This is why there are so many holes in IE that cause total disruption to the OS.

And if I remember right, in Europe, where they're forced to sell XP without IE bundled with it (somehow), the total sales number thousands, at best.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 10:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 13, 2007, 09:54:55 PM

And if I remember right, in Europe, where they're forced to sell XP without IE bundled with it (somehow), the total sales number thousands, at best.

I believe you are thinking of Media Player.

But I have to concede that, as far as legal precedent in the EU goes, it's perfectly acceptable to force MS to unbundle anything from Windows.  Heck, someone should just sue to get the calculator, paint, and solitaire programs unbundled.  Someone could sue to get notepad unbundled.  After all, the EU said it's very very important that Windows not bundle Media Player, since they want to increase competition for buggier alternatives which have no cost, like Real Player and QuickTime.

Personally, I think their entire "legal reasoning" is that it's a good way to extort a few billion from MS.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:01:11 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 03:38:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 13, 2007, 10:54:57 PM

Personally, I think their entire "legal reasoning" is that it's a good way to extort a few billion from MS.

Agreed. It's a load of bullocks and everybody knows it.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 05:02:51 PM »

Opera FTW...umm...that's if you're using the Wii to surf the web.  Roll Eyes
Both FF and IE 7 have their strengths and weaknesses, but for a PC I wouldn't consider anything other than 1 of those 2 choices.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »

Tried Opera awhile ago and while it seemed solid sites like Google's stuff(gmail, google reader) were messed up so I didn't stick with it. Plus the extension support in FF keeps it in the lead for me too.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 01:52:41 PM »

I went from Netscape, to IE to Firefox which I've used for several years now. I tried Opera back several years ago. It seemed solid but I liked Firefox better for some reasons I can't even remember now. I'm pretty sure that when I tried Opera that they were charging for it. Cost may have been the reason I didn't stick with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: