http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenGL vs. Direct X: fight!  (Read 727 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »

why we should be using OpenGL and not DirectX.  interesting read, I've always though of OpenGL as the second class citizen of graphics.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:13:36 AM »

I'm a big supporter of OpenGL myself. Yes, it can, and does, fall behind sometimes, but the more games that support OpenGL, the better off we are in the long run. DirectX is a proprietary technology, tied to Windows. Any game that is released under DirectX will have a large obstacle to being ported to other platforms (such as Linux and OS X, and even phones (they're getting more and more powerful, just look at the iPhone and the Android phones) and yes, consoles.

OpenGL is an open standard, not tied to any single company.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:27:26 AM »

Poor Glide.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »

I've used both, though it's been a few years since I dabbled with OpenGL. I prefer Direct3D (it's not called DirectX any more after most of the technologies that were part of that package got obsoleted, such as DirectDraw, DirectPlay and DirectInput) for many reasons:

- It's easier to use and much, MUCH better documented.
- It's way better supported and updated regularly. Using OpenGL leaves you open to risks from lack of driver support, something that is very hard to test for.
- The 360 also uses a variation of Direct3D, which makes porting between PC and 360 relatively simple.
- Converting a Direct3D application to Mac is a breeze using 3rd party converters. Many large companies do this, and it only takes them anywhere from a few hours to a few days of extra work. Using OpenGL would bring the risk of using many months more development time because of the lack of support and documentation.
- No consoles support OpenGL in the first place.
- The Linux gamer market is so incredibly small that it's not worth risking the use of less supported technology to reach out to it.
- Much to the annoyance of Microsoft haters worldwide, Direct3D innovates while OpenGL imitates (at least at this point in their history. It used to be different, but times change).
- If you want to assemble a team of top-notch OpenGL programmers for a new game, you'll have a much, much smaller pool of applicants than if you were to use Direct3D programmers.

Sorry if this got a little incoherent. I'm suffering from the flu. Tongue
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »

The OpenGL vs Direct3D fight was over years ago and DX won. About the only game company that kept it around at least on the PC has been iD Software cause Carmack likes it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 11, 2010, 03:13:26 PM

The OpenGL vs Direct3D fight was over years ago and DX won. About the only game company that kept it around at least on the PC has been iD Software cause Carmack likes it.

Liked it is more like it. In recent years he has become a supporter of Direct3D as well.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 10, 2010, 02:27:26 AM

Poor Glide.

I always liked Glide the best.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:33:49 PM »

I still think OpenGL is a very good idea, even though I do acknowledge that for bigger companies where they have to make a choice it's okay to go with D3D.

MS may be doing well for us gamers now, but that may not always be the case.  The development community may find themselves funneled into a direction they might not want to go.  Especially so now with indie development taking off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: