http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 09:17:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onboard LAN question  (Read 2230 times)
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2004, 08:18:29 PM »

In a previous thread, I mentioned a shorting problem with a new motherboard.  I seem to have resolved that (it was a CMOS issue).  However, I am unable to get the board's Onboard LAN to find my Linksys Router and Cable connection.  The board is a MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum with a Nvidia LAN as well as an onboard 1394 connection.  The Nvidia LAN seems to insist on creating its own IP address.  However, when I manually configure the TCP protocol to match the IP address of the router system (actually, one digit different to avoid conflicts with my machine), as well as define the gateway and DNS server, it still cannot connect to the interenet.  As an extra tidbit, occasionally it likes to announce the cable cord is disconnected for about 15 seconds before realizing that it truly is still connected.

On the MSI forum, it would seem that many users of a previous generation of K7n2 boards had this problem, and no decent solution other than adding a new, separate nic card would work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jonathan
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 01:39:50 AM »

Quote from: "Freyland"
The board is a MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum with a Nvidia LAN as well as an onboard 1394 connection.  The Nvidia LAN seems to insist on creating its own IP address.  However, when I manually configure the TCP protocol to match the IP address of the router system (actually, one digit different to avoid conflicts with my machine), as well as define the gateway and DNS server, it still cannot connect to the interenet.  As an extra tidbit, occasionally it likes to announce the cable cord is disconnected for about 15 seconds before realizing that it truly is still connected.

If the NIC is not accepting the DHCP address as assigned by your router go ahead and manually assign your system an IP address in the range that your router has. For your DNS settings just note what your ISP uses if you were directly connected to the modem and key those in as well. That should clear up your issue.

Windows, in my experience, tends to take a while to refresh and show that you are connected to a network so it doesn't surprise me that it tells you that you are disconnected.

How does this work again?
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:43:55 AM »

Hi Wankerjr

Thanks for responding.  I hooked the Onboard LAN directly up to the cable modem, and it worked with the direct connection.  I copied down all the network details.  I then hooked the computer back up to the router, gave it time to 'reset', and rebooted.  I have since tried every combination of ip address, subnet mask, DNS server and gateway between what my working computer uses and the info I copied when using the modem directly.  No Love at all.  Any more ideas?  This is really annoying.

Jonathan
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 04:14:45 AM »

First: A notice. I am far from any kind of authority on networking. I'm just tossing out a suggestion that was a problem for me previously. Perhaps it will inspire someone or remind you of something that might help.

Do you have any of the router's secrutiy settings or anything like that changed that wouldn't allow the computer to interact with it?

I mis-typed the WPA code AND the network name on one PC's wireless setup a few weeks ago and it took me way too long to realize that was why I couldn't get connected to the network.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 01:41:20 AM »

Thin_J

Nope.  Checked all the Router's settings to be sure.  Nothing coming up, although the possibility of my ignorance affecting the outcome is certainly at issue.

Jonathan
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 05:24:02 AM »

Hmm..well it really is your router that's causing the issue especially when you had the modem directly connected and you were able to browse.

I don't know if they are still doing this but back when I was doing cable modem support a few ISPs did MAC provisioning. The recorded the MAC address of your NIC and only that NIC was allowed to connect. If the MAC address changed everything else would look normal but you couldn't connect as the server was unable to verify you.

Another thing to check is when you are in the administrator's screen, check the router's status to see if it is says "Connected" as opposed to "Connecting" or "Not Connected."

How does this work again?
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 12:04:17 PM »

Have you tried using a different port on the linksys (if you have one of the broadband routers with the 4 port switches built in).  Have you tried a different ethernet cable to connect your computer to the linksys?  I've had problems where the plug on one end just wasn't making a good connection even though it looked like it was plugged in tight.  Have you checked on updated drivers for the NIC?  I know nvidia recently released new nforce unified drivers.  Also check the linksys firmware revision and update it if necessary.
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"
Hmm..well it really is your router that's causing the issue especially when you had the modem directly connected and you were able to browse.

I don't know if they are still doing this but back when I was doing cable modem support a few ISPs did MAC provisioning. The recorded the MAC address of your NIC and only that NIC was allowed to connect. If the MAC address changed everything else would look normal but you couldn't connect as the server was unable to verify you.

I think this could definitely be your problem.  I have a DLink and not a Linksys so I can't give you specifics but .....

If you can configure your Router using the web browser from your PC, then you definitely have a decent PC<->Router connection.  Make sure that your TCP/IP settings on your PC show your Router IP address as your default gateway (usually 192.168.1.1).

Look at the settings for the Routers WAN port (this is the port that connects to your cable/dsl modem)  Do you have settings for default gateway and DNS servers that seem legit? (ie if you direct connect, your PC should have all info needed - type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and write it all down).  Go the the WAN port configuration screen and "clone" your PC's MAC address (ipconfig calls this the physical address).  Store and reboot your router, then your PC; everything should work better now.

If not, hunt down any incorrect TCP/IP settings.
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:53:10 PM »

Geezerone

I don't have a connection between the PC with the Onboard LAN and the Router, just between *my* PC and the Router.  So, I can access the Router but not with the guilty PC.  I know the MAC, so I will see if that is something I can adjust tonight.  I will also pursue Ericb's suggestions.

Thanks, perhaps more tonight (late EST)

Jonathan
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:25:44 PM »

Quote from: "Freyland"
Geezerone

I don't have a connection between the PC with the Onboard LAN and the Router, just between *my* PC and the Router.  So, I can access the Router but not with the guilty PC.  I know the MAC, so I will see if that is something I can adjust tonight.  I will also pursue Ericb's suggestions.

Thanks, perhaps more tonight (late EST)

Jonathan

Nevermind /Rosanne Rosannadanna voice

My bad, I guess I misunderstood.   Have you tried to put another LAN card in (that you know works)?  

One more thing, make sure that the LAN port is enabled in your BIOS.  (I'm sure you have checked this, just trying to cover all bases....)
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 04:19:52 AM »

Well, it seems that my second PC and router simply cannot find each other.  The port lights on the router are blinking constantly, which implies that the router is either sending or receiving info via that port, but the wife's pc (which lists itself as connected) isn't getting it.  I have tried forcing it to use the gateway, ip address and subnet mask, but it doesnt work.  If left to its own devices, it picks its own ip and subnet mask (why?).  I tried to upgrade the router firmware using my PC, but it will not let me for some reason.  

Poop.

Jonathan
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 04:50:19 AM »

If you don't manually assign an IP and Windows can't get one from the network it will just make one up.  It's some meaningless address but it doesn't usually hurt anything.
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 02:56:49 AM »

Ended up just buying a nic card, which works fine.

Thanks all

Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: