http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 06:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Office/Task Chairs  (Read 1367 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

I searched and the topic didn't come up, so I'm starting this topic as a general resource for chairs, and to get some anecdotal experiences from others about various chairs and how they go about choosing them. As with anything these days, the problem isn't finding potential chairs and info on them, the problem is finding good information in the overwhelming mass of information.

I am in need of a new chair, and I need one for both long term use, and one that will hold up to my size and heavy weight. I am 6"1' (185.42) and weigh about 230lbs (104.32kg). I'm losing weight, but still want something that will hold up to heavy use. I work practically all day at my computer, then often game afterwards if I'm not out, so I spend way too much time sitting. I'm primarily typing, but also drawing/painting.

I'm looking to spend up to $800 on a new chair. The high budget is because I'm tired of chairs falling apart, and my last chair nearly causing me serious injury when it did so. However, the cheaper the better, I'm only interested in name brands if they actually live up to the hype.

Ideally, this chair would have adjustable arm rests. A head rest or space for the head is nice but not needed. I have broad shoulders, so something wide enough to keep pressure off my shoulder blades.

Also a solid base there the hydraulic cylinder doesn't fall through the hole that keeps it in place, as this has happened way too many times where the hydraulic cylinder starts dragging along the floor, this was happening even during college when I was fit, so I guess I had a lot of cheap chairs over the years.

With that in mind, I'm looking at the Herman Miller Aeron chairs, but honestly think I could get something much cheaper that will still last. On the other hand, I see places that specialize in servicing these chairs affordably.

Stuff like this carried at Staples:
http://www.staples.com/OFM-Hi-Back-24-HOUR-Ergonomic-Multi-Shift-Anti-Bacterial-Vinyl-Big/product_790061
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Mesh-Managers-Chair-with-Headrest-Black-and-Chrome/product_796648

Or even:
http://www.amazon.com/Ergohuman-Ergonomic-Chair-Headrest-Chrome/dp/B002LK1YNO

Which seems to be getting good reviews and has a headrest.  I could buy a replacement plan and still save a lot of money.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:56:52 AM by Turtle » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »

I've gone through Staples for years. I just replaced mine with one rated for 400lbs, as I'm just over the 250 mark and needed something that would take the pounding I give mine. I'd have to get back to you on the specifics.

I highly recommend their 3-yr replacement plan, as every time I've had a cheaper one fail, I leveraged the gift card into moving up a notch in terms of replacement. I haven't paid full price for an office chair in over 5 years, and on at least my third in that time frame.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

I've had an aeron, currently have a freedom chair. I think chairs are one of those things where you get what you pay for to a fair extent. However, if you've got an office furniture showroom in your area, I've had good luck getting high end chairs that were gently used or floor models at great prices.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »

I wish I could find another one of the office chairs I currently have, the Hampton by Swinton.  It's got a high back, faux leather and plastic armrests, and other than the leather starting to crack it has held up amazingly since I bought it back in 2005 for about 100 bucks.  I tried finding it on Google, and could only find replacement wheels. 

I figure if I ever get a replacement it won't be one with the mesh backing; I cannot see that being comfortable to sit on in the nude.

oh yeah, here you go:

biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »

Turtle,

I have the Staples Mesh Managers Chair in your second link there.  It's comfortable, though I have some issues with getting the settings right.  I'm about the same size as you, 6'2 and 240 and it just seems... a bit cheap for what you're paying.  Try for something more, if you can.  Just my .02 with several months in the chair.

EDIT: Also, because of the angle the chair rests at when I'm gaming/working, I rarely use the headrest unless I am not actively typing or controlling anything; usually YouTube video watching.  The headrest on that chair is great, but because of the way it "sits", it's more of a novelty.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:14:24 PM by WarPig » Logged

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

I use an Aeron at work and have for years.  I weigh more than you and had no problems with my Aeron at my previous job after 4 years of use.  I think they are rated for up to 300 pounds.  I bought my own Aeron for my current job because the supplied chairs were so uncomfortable, and while very expensive I feel like it was money well spent. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »

So, I found a local place that sells used Aerons, and they have my size for just $450, about half retail. That, combined with many local places that will service these chairs for a reasonable cost is making me consider this route. They have a warehouse where I can try out and examine the chair before buying as well. I guess I'll have to see if the Aeron's particular kind of mesh seat and back are comfortable to me.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:50:40 PM »

I use this one right now..
http://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP4000-Ergonomic-Fabric-Mid-Back-Task-Chair-Black/product_324022
I'm 6' & about 270lbs and this has been the best chair for me so far. Had it about a year now.. Lot's of adjustments to get comfortable...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: