http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 11:32:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd computer problems (random locks)  (Read 1367 times)
hazzen
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2004, 08:10:42 PM »

Hey, I'm kinda back to the forums.  Except I won't post much because college takes time.

Anyways, I've been having computer problems for almost two months now.  During the summer, I got a FragBox and it worked perfectly.  Then, a few weeks after I moved into the dorms, it would start locking up.  I would be doing absolutely anything, and it would just lock up.  Sometimes I could play games for 8 hours no problems, othertimes it would do it when I booted the computer up.

When it locks, the monitor is frozen on whatever it was last displaying, the mouse won't move, ctrl-alt-delete won't do anything, sound completely stops, and I don't get the "beep" for hitting too many keys.  However, the system fans keep running, including the one on the video card (which is supposed to shut off when not in use).

To fix this problem, I have tried: running MemTest, running the manufacturers hard drive test, defragging, reformatting, patching everything, removing all USB devices, running heat monitors, and not running any programs and seeing if it still crashes.  Nothing has detected anything wrong at all with my computer.  Everything reports error free, the heat never gets above 40 degrees Celsius, nothing seems to work.

Unless anyone could provide me a solution or a place to look for one, Falcon tech supports says the only thing they can do for me now is taking my computer back, replacing the mobo, and shipping it back to me.  Because my comp is useable (and still required for my classes), I've held off on that until the quarter is over.  So, help me Obi-wan Forums, you are my only hope.
Floyd Walker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

Here's something to try (if you haven't already) - try pulling each card (vid, sound, etc.) and reseating it, 2 or 3 times each. Also, pull each drive cable and reseat it (both ends).
It may or may not help, but, hey, it's free, and you won't be out anything but a few minutes of tinkering. If it doesn't fix the problem, Falcon may be correct in that it may be a bad mobo .
Let me know how it turns out.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 04:50:44 AM »

Well, I'd suggest a few things:

-Back up all your important data ASAP.

-Update all your drivers.  Reinstall DirectX 9.0c after updating.

-Make sure Windows is fully patched and up to date.

If it's still freezing:

-Unseat/reseat all cards and RAM on your motherboard. (Like Floyd suggested).

-Check all cable connections.  (Like Floyd suggested).

-Fully format your HDD and reinstall Windows XP.  Update Windows then hardware drivers, in that order.

If it's still freezing after that, it's time for a new system.  Your mobo/cpu is fried.

I got random freezings like that which finally resulted in utter system failure--my motherboard burned out and took the CPU with it.  Still, I suggest doing all of the above before taking it to Falcon--just so you can talk like you're an informed user and cover alot of the potential "Did you trys?" before they throw them at you.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hazzen
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 09:29:04 AM »

Well, after (attempting to) unseat the graphics card and (attempting to) remove the drive cables from either end, I think I managed to just plug them in harder.  I've made it a day now with no locks, so it may or may not be fixed.  I mean, it has been through hell today... lots of HL2 and CS:S with some DoD and NS thrown in, been on all day without a reboot, lots and lots of HD writing, and a bunch of multi-tasking (WinAMP, AIM, Opera, and TextPad all at once).  I'd say it is possibly fixed.
Floyd Walker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 02:09:59 PM »

Your stating that the problems started after a move is what gave an indication as to what the source of the locks could be. A co-worker had a similar problem - but their's was that the PC wouldn't boot at all... just gave the "insert system disk" error. They had also just moved. I told them to check that the drive cable was plugged in firmly, and it appears that was the problem.
Funny how the slighest (to us humans) little jolt will knock loose a connection that seems to be so tight you'd need a jackhammer to remove.
Glad it's fixed, dude biggrin (fingers crossed, of course)
hazzen
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 06:36:20 PM »

Correction: computer still crashing.  Oh well, winter break is in a few weeks, and I've only got two programming assignments left.  Just means my enjoyment of HL2 will be cut down a bit by random crashes.
Floyd Walker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:30:36 PM »

Me and my speaking too soon.,... :oops:
Sorry for junxing ya.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: