http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:58:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nVidia GTX 680 - GTX 690 & GTX 670 join the club  (Read 2121 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:16:04 AM »

looks like nVidia is finally getting Kepler based GPUs out the door.  they released this video showing off the latest and greatest features.  granted, I believe the 'fastest GPU' claim is already in question but the GPU boost sounds handy, and Dynamic Fracture could be cool if dev's use it in games.  the fur bit looked kinda ridiculous though.

I imagine prices are going to be crazy when they start being available next month, I remember hearing the high end card is going to be about a $1000.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:17:16 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

http://www.techpowerup.com/162835/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-680-Pictured-Too-$499-Pricing-Confirmed.html

Sadly, MY newegg doesn't have them listed yet.

Atomic
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »

It's kind of interesting.  In years past this would be the kind of thing I was all over.  Even now there's a part of me that instinctively wants to go out and get one.  But the truth is there doesn't seem to be any incentive any more.  I'm not into 3D gaming, and I haven't run into a single game yet that I can't max out on my iMac at 2560x1440.  The days when the big name games would demand big time upgrades seems long gone now.  It's great for my wallet but kind of sad from the "enthusiast" point of view.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:02 AM »

I'm runnin on a GTX 260 here, I need a fix, lol!

Interestingly enough, supposedly according to those pics, someone was able to order a pair, yet they've been nothing but out of stock on the newegg I normally shop at, ever since they were listed. So it's either someone elses newegg, like canada? or newegg business, or somesuch.

Actually I'm trying to hold off for a while on gpu upgrades, but I may weaken. Going to try and hang in there til Diablo 3 releases, and see how it does on my 260, etc.

I think biggrin

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »

I put a couple of different GTX 680's on auto-notify just to see what happens with stock availability, but EVGA is already teasing some of their versions of the GPU, and god knows how long it will take before developers start taking advantage of the new tech anyways.

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »

ck, sli-ing the latest tech since 3dfx

slywink

*edit:  word*
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 22, 2012, 06:10:12 PM

It's kind of interesting.  In years past this would be the kind of thing I was all over.  Even now there's a part of me that instinctively wants to go out and get one.  But the truth is there doesn't seem to be any incentive any more.  I'm not into 3D gaming, and I haven't run into a single game yet that I can't max out on my iMac at 2560x1440.  The days when the big name games would demand big time upgrades seems long gone now.  It's great for my wallet but kind of sad from the "enthusiast" point of view.

I was all over the 560 TI when it came out last year (picked up two so I could do surround), but I agree.  I fear Battlefield 3 and Skyrim were about it for pushing the PC very hard for a while and I can take care of them quite well.  I guess the good news is that the longer we don't get a next gen console the more likely games are going to start getting a lot of PC graphics dev work so they can still show off pretty trailers.  Hopefully that will turn things around some.

Now I am instead waiting for Apple to offer the next gen of iMac because my MBP is getting a bit long in the tooth for photo work, but that is another thread.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on March 24, 2012, 05:47:36 AM

I fear Battlefield 3 and Skyrim were about it for pushing the PC very hard for a while and I can take care of them quite well. 

I have a feeling Far Cry 3 is the next system buster on the horizon.  Metro: Last Light would be another but that's 2013 at the earliest.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »

Pondering one of these to replace my pair of 460s...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »

I upgraded my PC last last year (i2500k, SSD, etc.) but left my old ATI 4870 1Gb in place as I wanted to wait for the new generation of vid cards.  I will upgrade soon I think but as others have stated, not much I'm playing will stress the card.  My vid card money actually went to buying a iPad for now but I'll revist the issue in a month or two. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:57:44 AM »

and tonight they have announced the GTX 690 plus sent fans crowbars which will hopefully be used to beat the nVidia exec who thought they could use them to promote this event without causing new Half Life rumors.

only $999!

[edit] nVidia article on the 690.  this graph made me LOL:

even with quad SLI Metro 2033 still can't hit 60 FPS.  chances are you can find 2 680's easier than a 690, and probably better or equivalent performance for cheaper.  the inevitable benchmarks will be neat to see though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:37:28 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

People haven't been able to buy a 680 since release and they announce this. At least you can actually  buy AMD's latest cards.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:20 AM »

The same goes with Ivy Bridge - it's out since the 24th, but good luck getting it.   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 30, 2012, 12:50:20 AM

The same goes with Ivy Bridge - it's out since the 24th, but good luck getting it.   

NewEgg has them in stock right now if you're looking.  I've gotten some 'in stock' notifications for the EVGA GTX 680 superclocked but once I get it into the cart I stop myself from hitting 'submit order'.

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »

I'm not replacingr anything right now.  Well I need to talk to ASUS about replacing my motherboard....again....because the freaking USB ports keep cutting out. 

Outside of that, I'm going to get a SSD when Windows 8 rolls out.  My CPU is an Intel i5 (2500k) and my GPU is Geforce 460 GTX, so I'm fairly solid there.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »

I'll personally be waiting to upgrade my video cards when nVidia releases the cards for DX12. I'm currently running two EVGA Superclocked GTX 580's in SLi mode  and that is only slightly slower than the 690/680Sli.  In some cases 2 GTX 580's beat the 690 and the 680's in SLi. As for Ivy Bridge I'm waiting as well. My Sandy Bridge i7 2600k runs at 5ghz (Stock is 3.8ghz) without any stability issues on an air cooled system at 67 degrees celsius when running the Prime95 torture test. Temps are around 29-51 degrees during normal use. The IVy Bridge chipset runs hotter and isn't as overclocker friendly as Sanddy Bridge is currently. 

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 01:10:41 AM »

I hate being broke. There was an Asus branded gtx 680 in stock at newegg earlier. It even has the 499$ msrp pricing. I had to let it slide. For now.

The good news is my gtx 260 is holding up remarkably well with everything I currently play. World of Tanks (which hardly strains it), TERA, which plays nicely in spite of what should be moderate strain, Skyrim, which does ok, etc etc etc.

* TheAtomicKid soldiers on.

PS: /me has pondered the gtx 580 route... can get them as cheaply as 389$ these days.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »

I've been reading forums and it sounds like the newly launching 670 at $400 actually can outperform the 680 in some situations, but with drastically better power, heat, and noise specs, not to mention lower price.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »

Tom's Hardware review of the 670.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »

Gah. The 670 looks like a killer card. Was happy with getting the 7870 until I started reading those 670 reviews.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »

Well looks like the 670 is the card I've been waiting for, just ordered one from Newegg for $399.  Should be a slight step up from the ati 4870 that I have in there now.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 15, 2012, 12:14:45 AM

Well looks like the 670 is the card I've been waiting for, just ordered one from Newegg for $399.  Should be a slight step up from the ati 4870 that I have in there now.

Not seeing what makes it so special. Toms had it running hotter and louder than the 680.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 05:33:47 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 15, 2012, 02:28:41 PM

Quote from: Zinfan on May 15, 2012, 12:14:45 AM

Well looks like the 670 is the card I've been waiting for, just ordered one from Newegg for $399.  Should be a slight step up from the ati 4870 that I have in there now.

Not seeing what makes it so special. Toms had it running hotter and louder than the 680.

Well, it's 95% of the performance at 80% of the cost, is the part that's making it worthwhile.

They could have made the cooling system more quiet, though. But all you have to do to fix that, is get a card with an aftermarket cooler.

I'm sensing an MSI PC (power and cooling?) edition soon. Basically, with a switch to either run in OC mode, or in Silent mode.

I had really good luck with my Gigabyte built GTX 260 SOC (super overclock) edition... although it is gifted with a 'stock' cooler, rather than one of their new windforce setups, which I felt was a little flimsy on the gtx 560ti that I ordered once upon a time and returned. (defective fan). (GB gifted it with a bios tuned for silence)

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: