http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia 8800GTS Dying, Dead?  (Read 2490 times)
hispanicgamer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »

I have an ASUS P5N32-E Mobo with an Asus GeForce 8800 GTS, which was working fine last night.
I woke the computer up this morning and thought it was going to wake up without issue but got a Long beep followed by three short beeps and nothing on the monitor. Found out that the Bios beeps mean that the Video card is not being detected or bad video RAM. I pulled out the VC and cleaned it out well with canned air, reseated it, plugged everything back in, and still one long and three short beeps. Unfortunately, I do not have another card to test my mobo and there is no on board video chip. So three years later I need to get another card to replace my dead? one. Any recommendations? The Mobo is PCI Express 16x, I have no clue on what present cards would work with it. Can I use PCI Express 16x 2.0? Hopefully, someone out there has a card recommendation that will work for me. Thanks!

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »

I'm not sure on the availability but you may want to look into a nvidia gtx 260.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:12:03 PM »

Or a radeon 5770. Approximately the same spead, and comes with dx11.

And a little cheaper.

Atomic
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »

Went to Fry's and picked up a GeForce GT240 and am now back in business. Sad to see my $400 card(2007) being replaced by a $79 card today! I'm going to try and get another couple years out of this machine before even thinking of upgrading. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »

How does the performance on the replacement compare to the old card? I have a MSI 8800 GTS 512 that I suspect is causing some lockups.

I'd like a replacement that can run the current crop at the same levels and play Starcraft 2 when it hits.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:14:18 AM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on July 12, 2010, 01:05:59 AM

How does the performance on the replacement compare to the old card? I have a MSI 8800 GTS 512 that I suspect is causing some lockups.

I'd like a replacement that can run the current crop at the same levels and play Starcraft 2 when it hits.

I just recently replaced the 328mb 8800GTS with an ATI 5750 with 1 gb ram.  Paid $120 shipped from newegg and it blows the doors of my old one and handles anything I can throw at it.  Great bang for the buck imo.

morlac00 on PSN
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »

Quote from: morlac on July 14, 2010, 02:14:18 AM

I just recently replaced the 328mb 8800GTS with an ATI 5750 with 1 gb ram.  Paid $120 shipped from newegg and it blows the doors of my old one and handles anything I can throw at it.  Great bang for the buck imo.
I would agree that the new card also blows away the old technology. Funny story, I was at Staples the other day and they had 2 Nvidia GT 8600GTS cards for $50 each on clearance and thought I wished I could have used those in SL1 config. Just to see if the performance would be better.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:31:55 AM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on July 20, 2010, 09:17:20 PM

Quote from: morlac on July 14, 2010, 02:14:18 AM

I would agree that the new card also blows away the old technology. Funny story, I was at Staples the other day and they had 2 Nvidia GT 8600GTS cards for $50 each on clearance and thought I wished I could have used those in SL1 config. Just to see if the performance would be better.

Yep, gone are the days of me spending $300+ on a video card.  I don't miss them at all smile

morlac00 on PSN
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »

Oh man. I think my 8800 GTS gave up on me. Unfortunately, I don't have anyway to test the card or the system. I'm guessing the card though, artifacts and will not boot. It's been so long since I've looked at computer hardware. I'd like to run down to Fry's and pick something up that's at least comparable to the old 8800 GTS 640. I'm not in a position to buy a new machine at this time. Maybe this winter when I'm done playing in the sun. That said, I do need my computer up and running and able to play the games that my 8800 GTS did.

So hispanicgamer, that GT240 still working for you? As well as your 8800 GTS?

I saw in another thread someone recently picked up a GT250. Is the GT2xx line the one I should be looking at?

-Cota
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:36:53 PM by Cota » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:14 AM »

If I were buying an nvidia card today, for gaming purposes, I would give a very long, very hard look, at the GTX460 1GB units. Price v Performance, they are situated almost perfectly on the market. Comes with directx 11, too. If I could get one with 2GB I'd do it, just to futureproof the card, but even at 1, the cards just kick all kinds of butt in the benchmark reviews. You're looking at approx 220$, for performance that is approximately 150% of a gtx260. They're within striking distance of the 5850/5870, depending on just how much overclocking your unit comes with.

Here's a perfect example.  http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_1_GB/16.html

Note that the results do vary from game to game. Some games like nvidia, other games like amd/ati... no surprises there. Sorting the cards at newegg reveals... lowest price on a gtx460 at 229$ currently (they're coming up because they're so popular, damn you newegg, damn you!... and the lowest price on a 5850 at 284$

I really like the comparison charts at techpowerup, because they let you easily compare different cards at different resolutions... they even have performance per dollar, performance per watt, and relative overall performance, all at different, common, gaming resolutions... all lined up and easy to interpret.

The GTX460? It's the new GTX260/216. Is it as fast as a 5850? Sometimes. A 5870? Usually not. But at the price... very very nice. Which is why nvidia didn't give them dual sli fingers... or they'd completely kill their sales of 470's and 480's.

Am I getting one? I just might... I'm feeling the pinch atm, and I'm waiting to see how amd answers the gtx460 salvo before I make any decisions. My current card is a gigabyte built superoverclock gtx260... 680mhz core and 1500 mhz on the shaders. It's a little faster than a stock gtx275, so it holds its own. But we shall see.

Ok, that's my .0187 after taxes. Someone elses turn smile

Atomic
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »

I had/have an evga 8800. After 2 years of solid and valiant service, it died. Having a lifetime warranty from evga I rmad it and got a replacement card... which lasted a few days and then died in the same manner... artifacts started appearing, followed by blue screen of death. So I got that replaced, and after 2 weeks of decent performance, the third card has now also died. Artifacts, crashes, and now my pc won't boot at all. I suspect the card is not entirely blame anymore biggrin
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »

What a timely thread! it appears my 8800gt just died. This has been brought up earlier but not answered. Can you run a pci 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot? Obviously you won't get the benefits of 2.0 but will it at least run at 1.0 speeds or did they change the slot?
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »

Well, for me, my 8800 was in a Asus P5B with 2.4 Core 2 E6600 and 2 gigs of ram. Still running XP. Is a GTX 460 going to be too much card for that old of a system?

I suppose I could get the GTX 460 and keep it for my next system. But, by then it might not be so hot. Also, I like to build whole new systems and pass the old on to mom, complete.

I think I'd be happy replacing the card with something similar in performance to the old 8800 (if such a thing exists these days) and saving a few bucks.

On the other hand, I also bought the Evga card and I suppose I could get it replaced on the cheap. Though I never registered it, I don't know what sort of hassle it is to go through that, or how long it would take.

And geez, what's with all the 8800's going kaput all of a sudden!?

-Cota
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »

Well, this turned out to be an expensive failure for me. Although evga is awesome and continues to rma replacement cards to me, I can't definitely say it is the card. It could also be the power supply or the motherboard. And since it has been a while since I upgraded, it is hard to get replacements for those parts that fit with everything else.

So, I just pushed the button on $850 of new computer at newegg Tongue On the bright side the new pc will be rocking!
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:47 AM »

Quote from: Crux on August 04, 2010, 07:04:32 PM

So, I just pushed the button on $850 of new computer at newegg Tongue On the bright side the new pc will be rocking!

That's cheating!

-Cota
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »

So I will have a replacement 8800 arriving from evga in about a week if anyone wants to but it for cheap and replace their failed card...
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »

Quote from: Crux on August 05, 2010, 03:16:10 PM

So I will have a replacement 8800 arriving from evga in about a week if anyone wants to but it for cheap and replace their failed card...

How was the replacement process? I've called a couple a times, but the hold times made me give up. That and I never registered my card when I bought it. I don't think I can wait another week though. I'm close to giving up and running down to Fry's a pick up a GTX 640 as AtomicKid recommended. I just need to get back on line. I'm jonesing.

-Cota
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

Quote from: Cota on August 05, 2010, 04:41:37 PM

Quote from: Crux on August 05, 2010, 03:16:10 PM

How was the replacement process? I've called a couple a times, but the hold times made me give up. That and I never registered my card when I bought it. I don't think I can wait another week though. I'm close to giving up and running down to Fry's a pick up a GTX 640 as AtomicKid recommended. I just need to get back on line. I'm jonesing.

-Cota

It's been great. You might have trouble not having registered. It was actually the second evga card I had bought - when I upgraded last time I stuck with them because of a positive experience the first time around. But I get cross-shipping. They sent me the replacement card and then I got to ship the old card back.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 10:50:30 PM »

At my home PC I've been having graphics glitches followed by freezing, but only for certain games.  Then sometimes on reboot my computer fails to detect my hard drive.  All I have to do is unplug and replug and then it detects on the next reboot.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with my 8800GT (which sadly seems to be common) or my hard drive or both.  I'll have to do more testing.  But yeah, seems like the 8800 line has no end of troubles for a lot of people.  I got suckered in because the 8800GT was at the perfect price/performance point when it came out.   *Fist Shaking*

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 02:24:26 AM »

So I ran down to Fry's this afternoon to get a GTX 460. They didn't have any. The fellow said they hadn't received their first shipment yet. They might be in the shipment later today he said, or certainly by next week. I didn't know they were such a new item. I throttled the guy and walked out.

Just kidding. I ran out.

Ok, not really. I did John Cleese's Silly Walk on the way out.

Anyways, back home I gave in and called the EVGA guys. The guy was really nice and said that even though I never registered it, if I could find my receipt, I could contact his boss and they might be able to help me anyways. I thanked him for that, and asked him what I might replace the 8800 GTS with. After telling him my system specs he suggested the GTS 250 1Gig. Said the GTX 460 would probably be held back by the rest of my system.

So I ran back down to Fry's, tripped over a corpse someone left in the isle, and picked up a GTS 250 1Gig. Seems to be working fine. Can't play games though, DVD drive stopped reading DVD's. Sigh.

-Cota
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 07:12:16 AM »

Quote from: Cota on August 04, 2010, 06:06:34 PM

Well, for me, my 8800 was in a Asus P5B with 2.4 Core 2 E6600 and 2 gigs of ram. Still running XP. Is a GTX 460 going to be too much card for that old of a system?

I suppose I could get the GTX 460 and keep it for my next system. But, by then it might not be so hot. Also, I like to build whole new systems and pass the old on to mom, complete.

I think I'd be happy replacing the card with something similar in performance to the old 8800 (if such a thing exists these days) and saving a few bucks.

On the other hand, I also bought the Evga card and I suppose I could get it replaced on the cheap. Though I never registered it, I don't know what sort of hassle it is to go through that, or how long it would take.

And geez, what's with all the 8800's going kaput all of a sudden!?

-Cota

For those who are interested, and haven't read it elsewhere, my strategy for keeping my system up to date is, to update the cpu, mobo, and ram, as a single package, on 'even' years. Then on 'odd' years, I update the gpu. The price varies, but generally it's can be averaged at about 500$ a year, give or take, barring a problem with the equipment necessitating early replacement. This strategy keeps me relatively current in terms of tech, whilst not forcing me to break the bank updating an entire system at once, and I also don't have the problem of being 'stuck' in a system that's too far behind the tech curve because it's not time to upgrade yet.

It's about the same as buying a new console every year? Give or take.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: