http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia 6800 Series  (Read 1767 times)
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2004, 08:03:37 PM »

I just read that there is apparently a problem with the 6800 series of Geforce cards. Would folks who own one of these care to comment on their satisfaction with the card and if they have experienced any problems, oh and which model you have. Here is the problem I am concerned with.

>>>If you already didn't know, Nvidia's GeForce 6800 AGP series of Card's may have had almost all video acceleration in hardware disabled by an internal flaw. The only way to fix this flaw is with a new set of Drivers that should be released soon and a copy of a DVD decoder that Nvidia charges 20 bucks for.<<<

Thanks for any info.
me3000
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 04:38:09 AM »

Selling ATI cards for a living?
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 05:00:48 AM »

No I just spent a large sum of money on a new system with the Geforce 6800 Ultra, then I read about this problem and Im trying to get somemore info from folks whose opinions I trust in order to decide whether to keep the Geforce or switch it to one of the ATI cards.
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 03:49:09 PM »

Care to cite a source for this quote?

FWIW, I've had a 6800GT for some months now and I haven't had a problem with it; my benchmarks have been consistent with what I expected, based on reviews I've read online.

Frankly, I usually get more grief from ATI's drivers than I do from nVidia's...
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 04:34:54 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"
No I just spent a large sum of money on a new system with the Geforce 6800 Ultra, then I read about this problem and Im trying to get somemore info from folks whose opinions I trust in order to decide whether to keep the Geforce or switch it to one of the ATI cards.

My opinion is that that information is hogwash. "All video acceleration in hardware disabled by an internal flaw" ??

That's one of the silliest things I've ever read.

I think if ALL video acceleration were disabled, someone, oh say Tom's Hardware or Anandtech would've noticed that minor little detail slywink
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 10:19:31 PM »

I first came across this while reading the official EQ2 forums, apparently a large number of Geforce 6800 owners were seeing problems with EQ2 and low framerates and stuttering. The problem was traced back to the 6800 video cards, I started searching around and did a google on 6800+stuttering. Here are a few links I found.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10800

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=20532

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 11:41:28 PM »

From what I've read, it's certainly not *all* acceleration, only that involved in working with DVDs. From the article on Tech Report:

One of the things we learned during that briefing was that the video processing unit in the original NV40 chip, from which the NV43 is derived, didn't quite live up to its billing. The NV40's programmable video processor, you may recall, was supposed to be a dedicated section of the GPU, distinct from the pixel shaders, capable of accelerating both encoding and decoding of advanced video formats like MPEG4 and WMV. NVIDIA told us at the time of NV40's launch that the video processing unit was unique in the GPU world, and that dedicating transistors on the chip to accelerating video processing was more elegant and efficient than using pixel shaders to handle such tasks. However, NVIDIA wasn't able to get everything working as planned in NV40 silicon, so the NV40 video processor cannot fully accelerate WMV, just MPEG2. Instead, it has to farm out encoding/decoding work to the CPU, as GeForce FX cards did.

Hence the talk about the needing the "Nvidia DVD decoder" and new drivers.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 04:28:17 PM »

OK, if I'm reading all this properly, the 6800's vaunted "Video Processor," which was supposed to handle video decoding/encoding (thereby taking the load off of the CPU), is largely disabled.  Sounds like nVidia is less than forthcoming about the actual state of the silicon, beyond the fact it don't work as originally promised.  Worst-case scenario: the Video Processor is completely nonfunctional / nonexistent, but nVidia won't admit it for some time.  Best-case scenario: nVidia will find a way to restore some or all of the Video Processor's functionality in the 6800 series with a driver update and/or SW utility.

Kinda sucks, but since I don't do any encoding - or watch many videos, frankly - on my gaming PC, it's not really an issue for me.  I didn't even know the 6800 was supposed to have video acceleration in the first place until I read this thread.  Nothing I've read so far suggests this impacts 3D performance, which is all I care about.

Now, what I don't understand is why this disabled Video Processor would affect EQ2's performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: