http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:51:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norton virus?  (Read 493 times)
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »

I know, Norton is bad, however, my Daughter-in-law was just here and said she'd had a virus called the Norton Virus for almost a year on her small, travel laptop. She called Norton, and they told her they could remove it for $90.00. That was outrageous to me, as she'd used their product since she's been using computers. The virus stops people from updating their virus definitions, stops them from logging onto the Norton site, stops them from uninstalling Norton, and disabled her USB ports so she can't use those for backing up her computer to uninstall her Operating System and install a new one. There was a place I was directed to a few years ago that you sent your dxdiag to and they helped find and remove a virus/trojan/rootkit from your computer, but I don't remember the name of it. Does anyone here have any advise on helping her get rid of this, or at least helping so she can uninstall Vista and  install Windows 7? She has tried everything, used other types of anti-virus removals and nothing works. If it helps, when she tries to remove it from her system itself, ( she knows the line to delete), her computer shuts down everytime. Any help would be really appreciated.

The quiet one.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:42:33 AM »

First off, her 'calling Norton' was not her calling the anti-virus company. She was calling the scam people who got her PC infected in the first place. She does not have Norton installed. Just a virus by the same name.

Also, wow, her PC is seriously infected. Her best solution would be to pull the drive, copy the contents to some temp location somewhere else (of the files she wants to keep), scan said files to make sure they're not infected on the clean computer, then wipe everything and just start over.

I know of what site you're thinking of though as far as cleaning goes, but I'm also drawing a blank. Frankly, the 'nuke it from orbit' suggesting (wiping everything and just start over) seems like the best solution IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »

Tried Malwarebyte Anti Malware?

If that doesn't work or run, then another option is to get a bootable antivirus that can boot from cdrom or usb drive, then just boot from there and scan the system. The virus will not be able to block that because they're not loaded if you don't boot from the harddisk. She need to use an uninfected PC to download the antivirus and burn it to cdrom or install it on bootable usb disk.

There are several choices for that including a solution from Microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:19:46 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »

Thank you. I agree about Norton. Your suggestions will be passed along, wish she'd leave it here with me, but she uses it for work so can't. The virus disabled her usb drives, so that isn't an option, the others suggestions are viable, and I hope something works. I'll copy that link address into an email to her. I have a My Book backup drive here maybe she can use. She's hesitant to use my Sons desktop computer as it's his gaming computer ( he's AF and deployed right now), and she's afraid she'd transfer the virus/trojan to his computer. I sent her a link to Malwarebyte. I'd nuke it myself, but it's her work computer, and she has a lot of things on there she needs. I can burn an antivirus to a cdrom for her, or if she can, that's an option for her with the desktop. Any preferences on a good one? Thank you again, so much, for the answers and suggestions.

Oh, the name of the place I was talking about is HiJackThis, but it's been a long time since I had to use it.

The quiet one.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:58:26 AM »

I think best solution is to burn the bootable cdrom version or bootable usb drive version of anti virus using your PC or someone else. Both should work even if the virus disabled the usb drive because they're running before the virus is loaded.

Since we don't know the actual malware/virus, you probably need to download and burn several different antivirus for her to try.
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you.

The quiet one.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »

Make sure to start the cleaning in safe mode. You can also try connecting remotely in safe mode with networking.
Also, Norton isn't that bad anymore. I use it right now. (Although,I always a double/triple check with other software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: