http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:32:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New System Advice  (Read 1759 times)
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:17:29 AM »

Since my old videocard kind of died the other day, it seems I will be forced to upgrade my system earlier than I expected. I need some advice, however. I want the PC to last for at least 2 years with possible minor upgrades here and there, but I don't want to change the motherboard/CPU again. Here are the parts I am likely to buy.

Here's what I'm thinking about buying:

Pentium 4 630
eVGA  Geforce 6800GT 256MB

I need advice on which exactly motherboard to pick. It needs to support PCI-E, and at least 2GB memory.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting 2GB of ram this time, but maybe 1GB will be good for now (I have 1GB in my current system). Any brand recommendations?

Also, I'm hoping to salvage my hard drives from my current system and would rather not upgrade them just yet (although I might have to, seeing how just about all motherboards only support SATA).The optical drives will also be salvaged. I will use my current case and power supply as well. They're good.

Anything else I might be forgetting, I'll add later. Thanks for any and all comments!

(Same thread posted on OO, too lazy to change it - sorry!)

My smile still stays on.
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 02:41:00 AM »

Don't know what kind of mobo to reccomend (though my last 4 or 5 have all been Asus), but the RAM...  I like the Corsair memory.  You might just stick with 1GB unless you really think you NEED 2GB.  I have 2GB in my game machine, but don't think it really needs it.  Just seemed like something neat at the time I built it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:05:59 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Don't know what kind of mobo to reccomend (though my last 4 or 5 have all been Asus), but the RAM...  I like the Corsair memory.  You might just stick with 1GB unless you really think you NEED 2GB.  I have 2GB in my game machine, but don't think it really needs it.  Just seemed like something neat at the time I built it.

Another vote for the Corsair memory. And as far as the video card I got a 6800gt last year with my 3.0 ghz p4, and it smokes. I got a BFG one, it`s overclocked a bit out of the box and really stable. It has a LIFETIME warranty also. On the memory, I have one gb. I`m sure some things(battlefield 2!!! :twisted: ) would use the extra, BUT everything for the most part is supersmooth on here. How much power do you have BTW?
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:47:16 AM »

My current power supply is 436w if I remember correctly. Some odd number like that. Bought it a few years ago but haven't had a problem with it, so I figure there's no need to change it yet.

My smile still stays on.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:06:38 PM »

Have you thought about an AMD64 system?  Especially for gaming Althon64's are faster then Intel.  You can get an Althon64 3500 (939 socket) for about the same price as the Pentium4 you have listed there.  Just a suggestion.  

DrJones
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:09:11 PM »

I also dig the Athlon 64.  Mine (the one with 2GB of RAM is a 3400+).  It's really being held back by the video card (still rolling on the 9800 Pro after ATI's piss poor handling of the 800XTPE launch and never bothered to upgrade.  I was looking at the latest and greatest video cards but Nvidia doesn't have an AGP part so I might have to stick with ATI.  I haven't done enough PC gaming lately to justify the cost.  And this, beyond the AMD64 thumbs up, has nothing to do with your question!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:15:30 PM »

If you are going Intel I would go with Giga-Byte MOBO. I have built five systems in the last 2 years, and they are rock solid.

I have the BFG 6800 GT, but if you are upgrading I would go for the PCI Express MOBOs and get SLI 6600 GTs.

For Ram I use Kingston Hyper-X, but Corsair is awesome too.

Your Power Supply may not work if you get a PCI- Express MOBO, the connectors may not match up. If you do need to get one I recommend Antec True Power series.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 11:20:53 PM »

I am a big fan of Athlon64, but I have had persistent sound conflicts with my system, so at least do some research. Let me know how the video card turns out, I crave for an upgrade.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 05:54:48 AM »

I loves me some Shuttle cases, but it depends on if you can give up having certain things in your PC.  Personally, I would just stick a DVD drive in there and rock on; I have multiple computers, and just burn CDs and do other stuff on a different computer than my main.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 09:21:51 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I am a big fan of Athlon64, but I have had persistent sound conflicts with my system, so at least do some research.

Things like that make me stay away from AMD processors. I just don't want to deal with compatibility problems. For now, I'm sticking with Intel. As for the PS, I heard that there are converter cables that will enable an old power supply to run new motherboards. I'll look into it once I decide on a motherboard model. Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys!

My smile still stays on.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »

Not trying to change your mind but Althon64s do not have any compatibilty issues that are worse then Intel cpus.

DrJones
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 05:06:04 PM »

Quote from: "O.DOGG"
I am a big fan of Athlon64, but I have had persistent sound conflicts with my system, so at least do some research.

Things like that make me stay away from AMD processors. I just don't want to deal with compatibility problems. For now, I'm sticking with Intel. As for the PS, I heard that there are converter cables that will enable an old power supply to run new motherboards. I'll look into it once I decide on a motherboard model. Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys!

Here is what I built last weekend:

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra Motherboard
Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB DDR400 Mushkin memory
Sapphire X800 PRO 256 MB video card

No issues here and it is plenty fast.  No sound issues or compatibility issues.  I honestly think Rage's issues are due to a bad chipset more than the processor.  I have an Audigy sound card that I'm using for that system, but it does have 7.1 sound built into the motherboard.  4 SATA ports and two IDE ports.  Seriously, take a look at it, because a lot of the "AMD is incompatible" stuff is a bunch of FUD.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »

If you go AMD, you are better off getting an nForce mobo.

I've been using AMD for literally over 10 years without problems.  There aren't any problems you will have if you don't stick with Intel.  It's all about the parts, which is why the two most important decisions (in terms of overall stability) is your mobo and your RAM.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 01:49:42 AM »

I completely agree, if you go AMD go nForce. VIA is for crap in my experience as well as some of the other common chipsets for AMD.
nForce is the only way to go.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 09:37:09 AM »

Quote from: "O.DOGG"

Eh, don't bother with the adapters etc., just get a good 2.0 rated powersupply to make sure you don't have any problems with the video card or the 12v rail or needing the extra 4 pin connector for the mobo. Look at FortronSource or Antecs True series. A quiet, quality PSU is so worth the expense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: