http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 06:58:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Router  (Read 549 times)
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »

Sadly, my D-Link Gamerlounge 4300 appears to be going on the fritz on me.

Now, I've already selected a replacement, since I'm under some time constraints and need to get this resolved before the lack of wireless access in the house results in a homicide, but.

I thought I'd start a thread on it so people could discuss, recommend, diss, etc.

My replacement router choice ended up being...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/result/1045-multi-functional-gigabit-superspeedn-router

Mostly due to a combination of maximum simultaneous connections, overall router throughput, and pricetag. I didn't need the new 802.11AC spec, as I don't normally stream movies, etc. I do use bittorrent frequently, thus my appreciation for max simultaneous connections. (bittorrent tends to overwhelm lesser routers when it gets really going... the thousand of connections flood the cpu, and overflow the routing tables)

So if anyone wants to chime in, I'd love to hear some opinions. Good, bad. Indifferent wouldnt really help in this case. biggrin

Atomic
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »

Dammit. All I have is indifferent. slywink

My dad has the ASUS RT-N56U - I find that sometimes it "loses" Internet connectivity, though I've never had any hands-on time with it. It may also be Windows 8.1 Pro Preview which is dropping that portion of the connection.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

I picked up an Asus RT-N16 almost two years ago and it's been one of the best routers I've had.  never have a problem with laptop losing connection, but my android devices can get weird sometimes. 

I figure I'll update the router once my devices start going above N

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

I have a RT-N16 as well and its great. Especially so once I loaded a custom Tomato firmware on it.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »

I actually got the 66U, the AC one, this week. Haven't really put any heavy load on it yet, but it's fine so far. Very simple to set up and seems to have a wide array of options for stock firmware.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »

I have the Netgear R6300 wireless ac router. A big, expensive beast of a router, but the wireless range that it puts out is ridiculous. I recommend it to anyone who needs a wide area of coverage.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 12:22:58 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 27, 2013, 01:42:25 PM

Dammit. All I have is indifferent. slywink

My dad has the ASUS RT-N56U - I find that sometimes it "loses" Internet connectivity, though I've never had any hands-on time with it. It may also be Windows 8.1 Pro Preview which is dropping that portion of the connection.

I picked up the RT-N66U a few months ago and mine has the same problem.  It is incredibly frustrating.  Sometimes I can go all weekend using the internet on multiple devices with no problems, other times it will drop 3 times in the same night while I'm trying to stream a movie.   icon_evil

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »

I'm not even using one these days. I had thought on multiple occasions about replacing my ancient D-Link DI606 because it would drop connectivity like you guys are describing with the Asus routers, but then my cable modem croaked, and the replacement has 4 ethernet ports. I have 3 hard connections to computers in the same room, and the 4th to one of our two airport base stations.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »

Ok, new router arrived this evening and installed.

Between rather extensive testing of the old router, and the ease of setup of the new router, I am affirming that Something Bad (tm) happened to my D-Link. Symptoms included coming home to an unresponsive router. Rebooting it to have it die again within a few minutes. Inability to provision it correctly, either static or dhcp... it would either flag an error if provisioned improperly, or crash, if provisioned correctly.

And the damned thing would be fine, unless, and until, I actually hooked it up to my dsl modem, at which point the router would fail. Didn't even have to pull up a web browser, it would fail or start failing, as soon as the connection went active. And it would otherwise be happy as a clam, up until that point.

Not really sure what happened, but factory reset, etc, nothing fixes it.

Anyways, the asus I listed before is running like a serious contender. It setup, no muss, no fuss. It even arrived with the latest firmware on board. Sadly it's not DD-WRT compatible, but what we have out of the box, is pretty decent, especially at the price.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: