http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:35:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PSU for 9600 GT?  (Read 504 times)
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:03:10 AM »

I just installed an EVGA 9600 GT with the latest Nvidia drivers 196.21 on my Dell dimension 9200 built in August of 2007.

Previous card was an ATI x1950 pro, which ran fine, but had framerates that were a little low in some games.

With the new card, everything works fine for normal word processing, internet, casual games, etc. Then I tried HL2: Lost Coast system test.  with default settings (low), I got 145 fps, so I changed settings to a little higher than what I normally used with the ati card, and the game froze.  I tried Call of Duty 4 with my previous settings, and it has frozen multiple times requiring a hard boot to get out of it.  On restart, I got a BSOD with the message nv4_disp was responsible for putting it into an infinite loop.  Restarted, and the computer was usable.  dxdiag states that nv4_disp.dll is my main driver.

After that, I went back to 182.50 drivers, but it is no better.

Two questions for our experts please.

1. Is it likely that the PSU - 375W original from Dell is the problem or is this a driver problem?

2. If not a driver problem, Is it possible to replace the PSU with one available at Best Buy - Rocketfish 550/500W?  In the past, there were problems with the connections or the voltages being wrong if a standard PSU went into a Dell.  I think that is no longer the case, but just checking.

I'll put the PSU in if it will help, but I could always go back to my ATI card and leave well enough alone.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4 Ghz; 2 Gig RAM; 320 Gb HDD; XP Home sp 2
TheAtomicKid
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »

barring bad data when I googled just now, the TDP for the 9600GT is a meager 95 watts. The rest of your system is unlikely to top 150-160 watts, all told. The cpu being the primary draw, and, assuming that's a q6600 from the numbers you posted, that draw won't go over 105 watts without OC. Leaving 175 watts for motherboard, drives, etc etc etc.

Barring a bad psu, your system should be fine. It is NOT likely that your psu is your problem.

Try putting the card in another system and testing it there. If someone you know already has an nvidia box, all you'd have to do is drop the card in, since the drivers would already be installed.

Barring that, do you have access to a second 9600? They're not incredibly expensive.

Atomic

(last time I replaced a video card, I started with an ati 4850... turns out it was bad in the box. It could run fullscreen 3d apps, and windowed 3d apps... but if I say, tried to move the window... or alt tab... or minimize... it would lock up solid... sadly, I let someone talk me into replacing the psu, against my better judgement... it was a bad card... the good news is, I love the new psu, so I kept it anyways)
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »

Thanks for the info on the power draw.  I had researched the 9600Gt and knew it was not hard on watts, but I never had anything like this happen before.  Then I came across an article about the card and for the first time, saw the min recommended specs say 400W.

I'll have to think about another machine.  Right now, I don't know of one.  Isn't that sad! Nobody else I personally know is a pc gamer with a SATA box as good as my mediocre/low powered system. icon_frown

Maybe I'll think of someone. or maybe I will have to check out EVGAs warranty possibilities.

Thanks for the help!  icon_smile

EDIT - PS - What happened to the ATI 4850 card? - END EDIT
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:48:15 AM by Kestrel » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:19:32 AM »

After I figured out that the guy who was yammering at me about the psu was a hardcore ATI fanboy, to the point that it couldn't POSSIBLY be a bad card... it had to be my system... I made the correct decision and sent the card back to newegg. Most likely they restocked it and sent it out to another victim, since they charged me the restock fee.

I normally don't have issue with them, and they did take it back without fussing, but... it was definitely the card. I have two systems at the house that it SHOULD be able to run in... one of them in fact is already an ATI box... my old X800-xl is in it. Wouldn't work in either one. Wouldn't even boot in the other one. They definitely should not have restocked it.

I replaced it with a gigabyte made super overclock gtx 260. Couldn't be happier. I _love_ the ultra durable treatment they give this line of cards, with the extra copper in the ground layers, plus the other features. It runs native at 680 mhz, with 1500 mhz on the shader clock, and ddr2/1250 (2500 mhz) on the ram. In addition, they adjusted the fan profiles so that it doesn't budge the fan from 40% until the card hits like 85c, which means, 99% of the time... you just can't hear it.

Nothing against ATI... I've had their cards in the past, and no doubt will do so in the future... but barring directx 11, I'm very much enjoying my purchase. And so far, I don't have a game that can even use dx11, much less need it. 189$ at the time, and money well spent. (and the 5xxx series weren't even released yet.. if they had been, I might have been convinced to pony up a little more, and get a 5850/5870 instead)

Atomic
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »

Kestrel, did you uninstall the previous driver? Did you run Driver Cleaner? If not, I would start over with the drivers and eliminate that as a possible issue before trying to diagnose it further. Definitely look to see of the fan on the card is operating properly, though.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: