http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 08:22:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PC Specs  (Read 812 times)
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

So since im recently divorced and feel like spending my money poorly, im looking at getting this new system.  I've looked online and cant seem to get a better price, so what do you guys think?   Its a Gateway FX540XV

Operating System    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)
Processor    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor2 Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)1
Memory    3072MB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024 & 2-512)
Hard Drive    1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 16MB cache & Raid 0 (2-500GB hard drives)3
Optical Drive    Hybrid Blu-Ray/HD DVD Player and SuperMulti Format DVD-RW DL Drive (Vista ONLY)
Optical Drive    (2) 16X Super MFDVDRW/DVD-RAM+/-R Double Layer
Video    Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GT 512MB Factory Overclocked with SLI™ Technology (Dual DVI, VGA adapter and TV Out)
Sound    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card
Media Card Reader    9-in-1 Memory Card Reader
Speakers    Logitech® X-240 2.1 Speakers
TV Tuner    Analog/Digital TV Tuner with 3D Comb4
Application Software    Microsoft® Works® 9.0 & Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial)5
Backup Media    Gateway FX540XV Recovery DVD V1.0 - MENTOR
Chassis    Gateway® 7-bay BTX tower case
Color    FX Logo Accent - Black Steel
Expansion Slots    (1) PCI Expansion Slots, (1) PCI-E x1 Expansion Slot, (1) PCI-E x4 Expansion Slot, (2) PCI-E x16 Expansion Slot
External Ports    (7) USB 2.0 (3 front, 4 rear), (3) IEEE 1394 firewire (2 front, 1 rear), (2) RJ45 connector, Audio ports, and (2) PS/2
Finished Goods    Batteries for Remote Control 2 1.5V AA
Finished Goods    IR Receiver Blaster for Remote Control Vista Black
Keyboard    Gateway® Elite Keyboard (Windows Vista® Certified)
Motherboard    Systemboard with NVIDIA® nForce® 680i LT Chipset
Mouse    Soft-touch USB Optical Wheel Mouse
Network    (2) Integrated Gigabit (1000) Ethernet Connections
Power Supply    700 Watt Power Supply
Security Software    Norton Internet Security™ (60-day live updates)6
Software Documentation    End User License Agreement for Non-Microsoft Software
TV Tuner Accessories    Remote Control
Gateway® HD2200 22" Widescreen HD LCD Display

All for $2318 shipped.     Am I getting ripped off here?  Does this seem like a good system for awhile?  Thanks!

-Dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:15:33 AM »

Fwiw, I got a nice HP Elite for $1,159+tax today (Best Buy). I can maybe see myself upgrading the power supply and video card (512MB 8600GT), but I've spent the evening gliding smoothly through Gears of War PC and Bioshock (both system killers on my old system). Since my AMD64 was a Model T horse and buggy, maybe my perception is warped.  icon_lol

HP link:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=product_detail&product_code=KJ382AA%23ABA&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Pavilion%20Elite%20m9250f%20Desktop%20PC&lang=en&cc=us

Specs, fwiw:
Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1 [Yeah, I know, DOOOMMM! But I'm glad they now ship with the SP1 variant pre-installed, and so far it really hasn't caused me any problems, aside from some slightly different e-mail account settings in the Live Mail). I still think the Vista Team spent way too much time on animated menus, and zooming in and out various windows to no particular purpose. disgust ]

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6700
Memory: 4096MB
Memory speed: PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
Total memory slots: 4 DIMM
Maximum memory expansion: Expandable to 8GB
Graphics: [a "real," not integraded video card fwiw] NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics card with 512MB dedicated video memory [8800GTs are all over the place at stores now but so far I'm pretty impressed with this older card, and it's presumably quieter/cooler than the hotter new stuff]
TV and entertainment experience: [I didn't get it for this, but if you're into using a PC for that stuff, it's nice] NTSC Analog TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition Digital TV tuner, and FM tuner HP Media Center remote control with IR (infrared) receiver

PCI expansion: 1 PCI (occupied) ¿2 PCI Express x1 (two available) (24) ¿1 PCI Express x16 (occupied) (24)
Hard disk drive(s): 1000GB (2x500GB) 7200RPM SATA
Primary CD/DVD drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Communications: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps network interface
Sound card: High Definition Audio [Realtek integrated stuff, it's fine]   
Speakers: 8 speaker configurable
Front-side bus (processor dependent): 1066MHz Front Side Bus
I/O ports
        Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Back) 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port(s) (1 Front, 1 Back) Headphone; Microphone; Line-in (Front) 2 PS/2; Digital Audio In/out DVI, TV-out, and HDMI capabilities available on the video card

The case is nice enough but somewhat cramped inside. It's not something I'd probably mess around inside of aside from the aforementioned possible power supply/video card upgrade.

My thought is really what do you want to play. If you can't live without full screen antialiasing, or you need to play Crysis or the other latest "Bring every system to its knee" game du jour, then $2,300 might be worth it. It's just, even when I've spent $1,799 or $1,999 on new PCs, it's still been falling behind a year later.

I had various do-it-yourself buds pushing me to build my own, but I'm an impulse buyer and I just got tired of every PC game running like molasses on my old system. I needed a quick fix, and so far this system has been fast and quiet and a real pleasure. Finally getting to *see* what was great in Bioshock and experience it properly, well I don't know if it's worth $1,200, but it feels like it tonight.  icon_cool Numbers wise, I'd probably still need a better card, but I think it's more important the frame rate is consistent on this (even if the numbers wouldn't impress a hardware guru).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »

That's alot of money to spend on a Gateway.  You could take that amount of cash and goto a boutique shop and get a much more capable less bloated down pc.  Even a comparable Dell would be better. 

morlac00 on PSN
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 19, 2008, 03:42:05 PM

That's alot of money to spend on a Gateway.  You could take that amount of cash and goto a boutique shop and get a much more capable less bloated down pc.  Even a comparable Dell would be better. 

I agree with this post.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:32:36 AM »

I thought I'd also add that Best Buy still gives you 14-days to return opened desktop PCs with *no* restocking fees (they do charge for laptop/notebook returns).

Circuit City now charges 15% restocking fees on desktops (we'd be talking more than $160 on my HP if I'd gotten it there). I had to eat a monster return fee at Micro Center back in 2004 (the system I got was louder than a jet engine on takeoff, an exchange proved no better). So I learned the hard, expensive way to stick with no-restocking-fee stores if you're determined to buy a system that way. You really can't know from a spec sheet online if something's too noisy, too kludgy or is going to crash constantly (happily my HP has had none of those things, but I wanted to allow for the possibility).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: