http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 08:55:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New nVidia cards are out...GTX 260 & 280  (Read 1501 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39322/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-200-Series-Reviews

Just go there to find all the links and info.

Good lord when will it end? The 9800 GTX just came out. Christ! I need a new card but I have no idea what I should get when the time comes. Hell by then another 2 gens will probably be out. This one seems as good as 2 9800 in SLI and cheaper at $399 but thats still a huge chunk of change there compared to a 8800GT. Maybe I should just stick to my PSP smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,147112-c,graphicschips/article.html
While our testing continues, we can tell you that EA's Crysis ran twice as fast at 1920 by 1200-pixel resolution with 4x Anti-Aliasing compared to Asus' EN8800GT Top (on average, 8800GT cards cost about $200. For those doing the math at home: you're getting 2x the performance for roughly 3x the price).
Well that's nice, if you have room for dual slot cards and a power supply that can handle cards requiring two power connectors. I think I'll wait for a $300 variant gives maybe 1.5x 8800 performance in a single slot. I can dream... icon_razz

Incorporating the AEIGA tech into the card is interesting, though I can't really see $400-$650 cards creating a huge market for that any time soon.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »

Frankly I'm done with the high-end video cards unless PC gaming makes a comeback. Right now there's just very little out there that can take advantage of them, and developers seem to have no real desire to push them since they're having to port everything from the technologically inferior consoles. Heck, they can't even implement DX10 right.

I built an extremely high-end gaming rig last July, and except for a cluster of AAA titles last holiday season (Bioshock, CoD4, and Crysis), and Age of Conan, it has basically had nothing to do. I went through a horrible stretch right before AoC came out early in the year where for about 3 months all I played on it was Peggle and stupid hidden treasure games.

$500 to play maybe 2 or 3 big titles a year that will probably scale down to an older card anyway? No thanks.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:16:12 PM »

Great another  whacky naming convention as well.  I wanted a 18000gtx.  I'm about 2 years away from needing one anyhow smile

morlac00 on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »

I think when I upgrade later this year it will be a 9800GTX..if I upgrade at all anytime soon.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »

They'll keep making new ones with fancy names as long as we keep buying them...

Tis the way of World.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »

These are the "look at how big our dick is" versions that hardly anybody will buy. I'll wait for the refined versions that come out about a year later and will give plenty of performance for less than half the cost.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Yellowking
$500 to play maybe 2 or 3 big titles a year that will probably scale down to an older card anyway? No thanks.

$500 for a card that doesn't offer 2x the performance of a $250 card? Or, really, often doesn't offer 2x the performance of a $200 card! No thanks. icon_wink

I've never bought a top-of-the-line video card. They drop in price too rapidly to be worth the investment. I usually go for a slightly-below-top. Highest I've ever done was $300 for a rock-solid 6800GT, which at the time was fully worth it and lasted me a good while. I have an 8800GT 512MB now, and I love it. Huge bang for the buck. I'm not planning to upgrade again for two years, the average time a video card lasts me before an upgrade is called for.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »

ATI thankfully seems to be thinking more about the mainstream and not about making the "Ferrari" of the video card world. The 4850 is getting great reviews and seems like a good deal for $200.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on June 20, 2008, 04:12:57 PM

ATI thankfully seems to be thinking more about the mainstream and not about making the "Ferrari" of the video card world. The 4850 is getting great reviews and seems like a good deal for $200.

Never heard of that one. Will look up info on it. I cant afford these things as is.

Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

Being back in school, and penniless, I'll be sticking with my 7800GTX.  The card has been a trooper.  By the time I can afford my next upgrade the 9800GTX cards will be $200.  Being forced to wait is painfull but as has been said, the highest powered cards have little to do right now outsdie of a few games.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »

Quote from: Ragnarok on June 21, 2008, 03:25:05 PM

Being back in school, and penniless, I'll be sticking with my 7800GTX.  The card has been a trooper.  By the time I can afford my next upgrade the 9800GTX cards will be $200.  Being forced to wait is painfull but as has been said, the highest powered cards have little to do right now outsdie of a few games.

Well you won't have to wait long. The review at Extremetech said Nvidia is gonna drop the 9800GTX to around $200 to compete with the 4850 since they're about even in performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: