http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Gaming Laptop for different price ranges  (Read 1202 times)
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

I have pretty much had crappy laptops all my life.  (except for one exceptional work laptop)

I have heard that integrated graphics are either a no-no support wise or just not enough bang for higher end games to work.  is this still true?

What is considered a high end gaming laptop these days? ($2000+ ?) Any recommendations ?

What is considered a mid range gaming laptop?  ($1000+ ?) Any recommendations ?

What is considered a low-end gaming laptop?  ($500+ ?) Any recommendations ?

the money in parenth's are just guesses - if the real mid range price is 800+ feel free to set me straight - thanks for any help!
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »

Has anyone here had experience with fangbooks at cyberpower?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/FANGBOOK_Evo_HX7-100
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:34:58 PM »

I and a friend have both gotten new Lenovo Y-series laptops recently. Hard to beat components (8 Gig Ram, 2 Gig Nvidia graphics card, new Intel chip) for under $1000. I bought a bunch of games in the Steam sale and have been able to play all of them, although Tomb Raider runs a bit choppy with the higher settings enabled.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »

Last time I was looking for a notebook, I found that Sager had a good line up. I didn't end up buying from them, but I found them quite useful for comparison.  They are well rated.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »

I use an MSI GT70 and I *love* it.   I've not had a single problem with the device, and it's OMG fast.  HDMI out means it plugs into the Onkyo and I can use the big TV in the front room as a monitor.  I highly recommend them. 

To answer your questions:

I have heard that integrated graphics are either a no-no support wise or just not enough bang for higher end games to work.  is this still true?
Not entirely so.  Most gaming laptops have the i7 integrated graphics support for 'normal use' (giving you 4+ hours of life on the battery for non-gaming) and then use a separate mobile version of a GeForce card for gaming (that'll eat your battery like candy)  Look more at the RAM vs. the RAM on the integrated card. 

What is considered a high end gaming laptop these days? ($2000+ ?) Any recommendations ? 
About 2k.   MSI. 

What is considered a mid range gaming laptop?  ($1000+ ?) Any recommendations ?

About 1500.

What is considered a low-end gaming laptop?  ($500+ ?) Any recommendations ?
About 1000. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »

I have the Alienware 14 gaming laptop. It is one of the few laptops available with an IPS screen, and it is absolutely stunning. I've been able to play every game I've thrown at it in 1080p with high or ultra details in every occasion. So far I've tested:

Xcom
Civ V
Tomb Raider
Batman:AC
Assassin's Creed 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Battlefield 3
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 22, 2013, 10:05:55 PM

I have the Alienware 14 gaming laptop. It is one of the few laptops available with an IPS screen, and it is absolutely stunning. I've been able to play every game I've thrown at it in 1080p with high or ultra details in every occasion. So far I've tested:

Xcom
Civ V
Tomb Raider
Batman:AC
Assassin's Creed 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Battlefield 3

I'd be interested in the 3DMark score on that.  There is a free demo version on Steam...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:15:03 AM »

My brother just got a new gaming laptop last week and loves it. He got an Asus G75, came with a haswell i7, 12gb ram and nVidia 760 all for just $1200.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 04:55:21 AM »

Unless you ABSOLUTELY have to have a laptop, get a desktop for gaming.  Even the best gaming laptop runs hotter than a desktop and will choke on games eventually.  You'll outgrow a laptop far faster than a desktop gaming.

Also you can probably get a good desktop and a decent non-gaming laptop for the price of a gaming laptop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: