http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:43:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New HD & WIN 7 OS, can't run Steam(or any other) games anymore(FACEPALM!)  (Read 2243 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »

I recently installed a new HD and Win7 Pro x64 as an upgrade. I'm now loading on all the games I'm still playing which includes loading Steam.

I have a 500G partition, that is solely for games, that I have Steam installed to (not the default C:\) and I simply left the default path except for changing the drive letter. I had to disable the UAC to allow Steam to install as I was getting a permissions error. Steam has installed ok and I have DL'd HL2.

When I try and launch HL2 I get this message:
Unable to load h:\program files(x86)\steam\steamapps\username\half-life2\bin\filesystem_steam.dll

I checked Steam support and found the message but Steams fix hasn't done anything to solve the problem.

Anyone encounter this before?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:36:08 PM by Ragnarok » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:37:24 PM »

Permissions.

Go to the main steam folder, go to properties - security - advanced - owners - Edit and set the owner to your new admin accounts, and the "users" group. You want it to apply to all the subfolders, and hit ok.

That should do it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:16:56 PM »

Ok, I'll give that a shot.

So far Fallout 3 won't even install, it just hangs up during the 'installing windows live components' portion.
Mass Effect installs and the launcher screen comes up but when I hit 'Play' nothing happens.  This is after updating to 1.1 where I got an error reading 'could not update launcher' or something to that effect. icon_confused
Stalker Clear SKy installs but I get an 'Incompatable driver' message and when I go to launch the game it tells me that I need 'Admin Permissions'.  This is even after I turned off the UAC and rt clicked for 'Run as Admin'.

EDIT: I tried changing permissions to no effect.  Originally Owner read as SYSTEM so I changed that to ADmin(my name) and made sure permissions were at full control.
I did this with Stalker too and I'm still getting the 'Admin permissions required to launch this program for the first time' error.

EDIT EDIT:  I went and changed ownership of everything on every drive to my Admin Account and set permissions to full control for everyone everywhere and STILL nothing runs, Clear Sky asks for Admin permissions, HL2 doesn't run with same error...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:57:54 PM by Ragnarok » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »

I've admittedly had very little to exposure to Windows 7, but if you were contending with a WinXP or Vista install you would likely have to reset permissions on the registry too. Might be something worth considering.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »

I just installed Impulse, along with GalCiv2 and SOASE and they both run just fine without any permission changes. retard  Perhaps Stardock has already made changes for Win7?  I don't know.

I'll check permissions for the registry.  Thanks for the input.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »

I am running Windows 7 and do not have any issues with Steam.  I have played several of my games and just installed RE5 without any problems.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »

Quote from: DrJones on December 05, 2009, 09:21:37 PM

I am running Windows 7 and do not have any issues with Steam.  I have played several of my games and just installed RE5 without any problems.

<sarcasm>Thats just great!  I'm happy for you! <sarcasm>

Seriously though, do you remember if you had to adjust any settings?  The only thing I didn't do was install Steam on the default drive. I'm still trying to figure out if it is in fact a permissions issue.  I am the only user and am also the Admin (obviously) so I should have admin permissions and yet, no.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 01:09:48 AM »

Where is your Steam folder installed at? Either Program Files directory or a custom folder on the drive?

DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:10:57 AM »

I have Windows7 on my C:/ drive.  Steam and all the apps are located on my other hard drive E:/ drive.  Its pathway is E:/Programs/Steam.  I did not have to adjust any settings.  I have played FarCry, RE5, L4D, Torchlight demo and Overlord II demo.  They all installed and played normally.  Sorry I am not much help.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on December 06, 2009, 01:09:48 AM

Where is your Steam folder installed at? Either Program Files directory or a custom folder on the drive?

I uninstalled/reinstalled to H:\Games.
Still the same error but can run it from the HL2 exe inside the steam folder.

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »

^h^h^h^h^h...

Quote from: Ragnarok on December 05, 2009, 01:36:40 PM

I recently installed a new HD and Win7 Pro x64 as an upgrade...

Actual upgrade install, or a clean install? If upgrade, why reloading games?

Also if upgrade... do a clean install. Upgrading sucks arse. If not, ignore this line.

Atomic
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »

'Twas a clean install on a spankin' new drive.  The old one was a graveyard of corrupted files, partially uninstalled games and a half eaten virus.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »

I also have installed Steam with no problems.  I installed it to C:\Games I did not have to change any permissions on any directories and I did not have to change any security settings.  I also have UAC enabled.

Your problem must be that you don't have it installed on your system partition.  Try creating a directory on your C: drive and then one on your games drive and make sure that the permissions on both directories match.  If not make change the ones on your games drive.  Also if you didn't do this, try creating the Games directory yourself in explorer rather than letting the installer do it.

Also if the account you run with is not an Administrator, you may have to run Steam as an administrator so that it has the proper privileges.  If your account isn't and administrator, try using and administrator account and see what happens.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »

Got it working now.  For some reason Win7 creates two user accounts under your name.  One is Admin<user>  and one simply <user> .  I missed a set of permissions under <user> and apparently that was it.  It seems silly that I had to change them at all but whatever, live and learn.  Thanks for the help everyone.  Hopefully my other non steam games will install/load ok now.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »

Have you tried deleting "clientregistry.blob" from the Steam root directory?  That usually fixes any Steam issues I'm having
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Ragnarok on December 06, 2009, 04:47:04 PM

Got it working now.  For some reason Win7 creates two user accounts under your name.  One is Admin<user>  and one simply <user> .  I missed a set of permissions under <user> and apparently that was it.  It seems silly that I had to change them at all but whatever, live and learn.  Thanks for the help everyone.  Hopefully my other non steam games will install/load ok now.

So you ignored setting the "Users" group to have ownership/full permission then. smile

Quote from: Purge on December 05, 2009, 02:37:24 PM

Permissions.

Go to the main steam folder, go to properties - security - advanced - owners - Edit and set the owner to your new admin accounts, and the "users" group. You want it to apply to all the subfolders, and hit ok.

That should do it.

slywink Your user account is what you typically use in Windows 7, not the admin account ... this is done to prevent you from running around as "root" and any apps piggybacking on your session from doing whatever they want. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »

FACEPALM> So I start up the pc today and click Steam>X3:Terran Conflict as I just DL'd it and wanted to test it.  Its starts fine, I played for a few minutes and then exit to adjust some graphics settings.  I click to launch X3 again and nothing happens.  I click HL2 and get the same error message as before.  Going from zero to livid in .2 seconds, I recheck all my settings for permissions.  All still the same.  It makes about as much sense as a Wookie on Endor.  Why did it work and then not?  BECAUSE IT WAS MY ANTIVIRUS ALL THE TIME!

I use Spyware Doctor w/Antivirus, something I purchased from PC Tools when a rogue antivirus murdered my last OS.

I restarted and clicked steam>x3 while while having Spyware Doctor open.  While SD was still booting all of its components, I was able to launch games through Steam. As soon as it was done booting, I couldn't launch a thing. With trip to PC Tools forums I found many people were having this issue and got a workaround until it can be fixed. Apparently a plugin for SD was killing the games as I tried to launch them and did not tell me what it was doing (why I never suspected).   Happens with Steam only.

Now it all makes sense why no one else seemed to have issue with clean install of Win7 running Steam. Still, thanks again for the help.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 07:35:25 AM »

Here lies thy lesson: don't pay for antivirus/malware.

Get Microsoft Security Essentials smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 07:56:07 AM »

Pfft, NOD32 is better anyway. smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »

And actually, to improve your Steam performance, regardless of which AV software you have, put the entire Steam folder in your exceptions list.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:41 AM »

Maybe edit the subject to include SD's name.

While you have suffered, maybe others may not.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: