http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:02:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New gaming computer? Where to buy?  (Read 1502 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:01:18 AM »

The Alienware I bought in 2011 has had nothing but issues from day 1. Locked up out of the box, which was caused by memory that comes loose if you touch the computer. Its huge, heavy, and just an all around pain in the ass. I hate the thing, worst PC I have bought, but it is pretty, and it is fast when it's working (well, at least it was fast 3 years ago). I hadn't it set up after I moved, but finally got around to it last night and installed all the windows updates, and not much else (4 months of Windows updates takes a long time). Today, it won't even boot. Been trying to troubleshoot for about 5 hours now, and at this point I am just waiting for a fresh Windows 7 install from the disk, which is also taking hours. I have a feeling something is seriously wrong because just trying to troubleshoot means waiting long periods just to get it to load anything.

I am sort of playing with the idea of getting a new PC. I used to build my own, but will not do it again. Not that it was bad, and I built some great PCs, but I just don't care to do that anymore. I am a Mac guy, I buy a computer and just want to unbox it and use it. I know how much cheaper it is, but I also know how much fun researching and troubleshooting can be.

I am scared to buy another Dell, I can't say I have ever been really happy with anything I have bought from them. I looked at Cyberpower PC and they are all these huge flashy things, that I do not want. Where do I buy from where I can get a decent, plain, mid tower, with high quality parts that isn't filled with bloatware? I am tempted to just get a NW Falcon Talon, which is exactly that, but the old builder part of me can't get over how it's twice as much as anything else with similar components.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »

I just got my new Talon from Falcon Northwest about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. It's my second Falcon NW computer, I got my first one, a Mach V, in early 2003 and used it till 2011, although I did have to add more RAM and upgrade the video card. It ran without a problem, I just had to finally replace it because the processor just wasn't able to handle anything modern. After that I got a Hewlett Packard office computer with a entry level video card, but that was a mistake, so that's why I got the Talon.

Yup, it's expensive, but then I figure I'm worth it icon_biggrin. The nice thing about Falcon NW, the computers come with NO crapware, they are tested before they are shipped and the quality, at least in the two I've owned, is top notch. They come with a leather binder thing with all the the extra cables, manuals and disks that came with the individual components:

That little red thing on the right in the last photo is the recovery USB. Just before it's shipped, they image the OS drive and put it on a thumb drive, so if you need or just want to get things back to the original state they came in, just plug her in and follow the directions.

The computer itself it pretty modest, I don't go for painted cases and the like:

I haven't had to use Falcon NW support so far, but on my first computer I did have some questions. They have their own support guys, right at their location, and what's nice when I called was I got a machine, left my number and question, and they called me back pretty quickly on their own dime and the guy I talked to actually knew his stuff. That was in 2003 but they say they still supply support that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Falcon or my Talon.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »

I'm just glad to see that Falcon NW is still in business and still making great stuff.  My only computer them was a Talon back in circa 1997, and I had a great experience with both the computer and with Falcon.  Even years later when I had upgraded just about every part in the system, they had very loose rules about what it took to still count as the Talon I bought and I had no problem still getting their great customer service.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »

Great info, especially the pictures, thanks guys. That sounds like exactly the kind of experience I want when buying a PC. I believe they also come with the windows disk, correct? I got in a Dell support chat last night asking about recovery options. They will mail you a recovery disk anytime you ask. "But one doesn't come with the computer, nor does a Windows disk?" I asked? "No". I know this isn't a big deal, you can make your own recovery USB/disk pretty easily, but just the fact they don't include it turns me off. It sounds like Falcon NW goes above and beyond. Have always wanted one since Rich of Gone Gold got one.

The hard drive seems to have died in my Alienware. I shouldn't be surprised, that thing has always seemed like it had to write to the drive often. The drive would never go in to sleep mode because the thing would write to it every 10 seconds even when sitting idle.

Edit: never mind about the included windows disk, I see it in the picture above.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:53:40 PM by Lee » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 27, 2014, 05:51:33 PM

Great info, especially the pictures, thanks guys. That sounds like exactly the kind of experience I want when buying a PC. I believe they also come with the windows disk, correct? I got in a Dell support chat last night asking about recovery options. They will mail you a recovery disk anytime you ask. "But one doesn't come with the computer, nor does a Windows disk?" I asked? "No". I know this isn't a big deal, you can make your own recovery USB/disk pretty easily, but just the fact they don't include it turns me off. It sounds like Falcon NW goes above and beyond. Have always wanted one since Rich of Gone Gold got one.

The hard drive seems to have died in my Alienware. I shouldn't be surprised, that thing has always seemed like it had to write to the drive often. The drive would never go in to sleep mode because the thing would write to it every 10 seconds even when sitting idle.

Edit: never mind about the included windows disk, I see it in the picture above.

Yup, the original OEM Windows DVD in it's case is included. And I also remember when Rich got his. I can't remember if it was before or after I got mine.

About the only complaint I have about that leather (I guess it's faux leather) binder is that it's not deep enough, they had to kind of jam everything in there. I mentioned that in an email to them they requested in lieu of the buyer's survey they used to do. My only other complaint was that there could be more USB ports on the front, as right now there are only two. It's not a big deal to me as I already have an external powered USB hub, but some folks might prefer more.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:21 AM »

Yeah lee its a shame most of these gaming PC's are sooo bling on the case now days, I love my plain ole black Corsair 550D case (and its REALLY quiet too). Another good gaming PC builder is doghousesystems.com but as with Falcon NW they aren't cheap.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:37:14 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 27, 2014, 12:18:59 PM

I just got my new Talon from Falcon Northwest about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. It's my second Falcon NW computer, I got my first one, a Mach V, in early 2003 and used it till 2011, although I did have to add more RAM and upgrade the video card. It ran without a problem, I just had to finally replace it because the processor just wasn't able to handle anything modern. After that I got a Hewlett Packard office computer with a entry level video card, but that was a mistake, so that's why I got the Talon.

Yup, it's expensive, but then I figure I'm worth it icon_biggrin. The nice thing about Falcon NW, the computers come with NO crapware, they are tested before they are shipped and the quality, at least in the two I've owned, is top notch. They come with a leather binder thing with all the the extra cables, manuals and disks that came with the individual components:

That little red thing on the right in the last photo is the recovery USB. Just before it's shipped, they image the OS drive and put it on a thumb drive, so if you need or just want to get things back to the original state they came in, just plug her in and follow the directions.

The computer itself it pretty modest, I don't go for painted cases and the like:

I haven't had to use Falcon NW support so far, but on my first computer I did have some questions. They have their own support guys, right at their location, and what's nice when I called was I got a machine, left my number and question, and they called me back pretty quickly on their own dime and the guy I talked to actually knew his stuff. That was in 2003 but they say they still supply support that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Falcon or my Talon.

If money isn't a question. That's the best you can buy. Period. I had fnw years ago and the product and the company are simply outstanding.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »

So Lee, what did you end up going with?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on May 04, 2014, 12:25:49 PM

So Lee, what did you end up going with?

I decided on the Falcon NW, but I haven't bought one yet. School started and I have been so busy with homework that if I have time to game it's been Hearthstone, which I can play on my Mac/iPad. When things slow down and I get more free time, or that great new game comes out that I must play, I will pull the trigger.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »

I really wanted to thank JZ for reminding me about FNW, I remember coveting them 'back in the day' and came this close to pulling the trigger on a new one before sanity prevailed. Well, maybe not so much sanity as I'm in the same Someday Boat with Lee but more because of some unexpected expenses taking priority.  [sigh]

Someday...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »

I went with custom Slade model silent computer from DigitalStorm for my last system and have been very happy with it.  Super fast and so silent I can't even tell it's running.  They're not quite as "premium" as Falcon NW but they do a really good job on custom systems and you're not paying that premium either. 

I really liked being able to see updates on where my PC was in the build, test, burn-in and ship process the whole way through.  I mean, if Domino's can do it with pizzas it makes sense they can do it with PC builds too.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 04, 2014, 07:35:31 PM

I really wanted to thank JZ for reminding me about FNW, I remember coveting them 'back in the day' and came this close to pulling the trigger on a new one before sanity prevailed. Well, maybe not so much sanity as I'm in the same Someday Boat with Lee but more because of some unexpected expenses taking priority.  [sigh]

Someday...

You're welcome... thankfully sanity and I are no longer on speaking terms icon_lol

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 02:25:17 AM »

I've always wanted a Falcon Northwest computer, but I could never justify the cost. The closest I ever got was Hypersonic PC, which was a custom builder without the pedigree of FNW.

When I learned how truly easy it is to build your own computer, I just started doing that. I can build a computer about 20 faster than a Falcon Northwest for the same price. But I still always stop by Falcon Northwest's website to see what they are up to. I love the Tiki, for example.

For my builds I grab a high quality Lian Li chassis, Gigabyte mobos, Seasonic power supplies, Samsung SSDs, Intel processors, Micron memory, and Nvidia graphics cards. rock solid stability every time.

Best of luck in your search!
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 04, 2014, 08:14:08 PM

I went with custom Slade model silent computer from DigitalStorm for my last system and have been very happy with it.  Super fast and so silent I can't even tell it's running.  They're not quite as "premium" as Falcon NW but they do a really good job on custom systems and you're not paying that premium either. 

I really liked being able to see updates on where my PC was in the build, test, burn-in and ship process the whole way through.  I mean, if Domino's can do it with pizzas it makes sense they can do it with PC builds too.  smile

Yep, I've been getting computers from Digital Storm for a while now and they have all been great and the service is solid.  I'm using a Lance "gaming" laptop from them right now because I travel extensively.  I may get a desktop from them soon if I start to end up in the same place a bit more.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »

Getting close to pulling the trigger. I have all of December to do nothing but game, so I want to get it ordered soon. But...

Is it the right time? Isn't Intel coming out with new chips early 2015? I waiting to update my Macbook for the Broadwells, but does it matter as much for a desktop?

Is the AMD Mantle thing mean I should be looking at a Radeon card?

I am looking at the Talon as well as the Origin Chronos, which PC World thought was a better buy than the Tiki. I am wondering if I should not worry about size. I just hate the huge, heavy Alienware that I have now. I tend to move a lot, and space is limited. For gaming computers I can't seem to find anything decent that is in the middle, its either huge heavy things (with far to many lights), or small little things. I guess there are always Dell XPS, that seems to be in the middle, and would be a lot cheaper...

Edit: Also looking at the Digital Storm Bolt 2.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:46:31 PM by Lee » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

You're in the right season to buy. Computer manufacturers should be starting to do some holiday style discounts over the next two months.

I would recommend NVidia video cards over AMD though. I'm not sure how much Mantel has made a significant impact in gameplay or how wildly it is supported. But I do know from the NVidia card I've been very impressed with many of the additional things they've offered on their cards: Adaptive Sync actually works well. The new DSR resolution changes work and are simple to initiate. You get the full PhysX support, which you don't get with AMD cards on games that support the "full" mode. You also get native TXAA and FXAA support if you plan on using it.

I moved from a single AMD card to a Crossfire setup, then finally to a single NVidia card. I have been a lot happier with the NVidia card.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »

Same here, I've been much happier since switching to a nVidia card (660ti) in my gaming PC a ways back, and I also put a cheap 610 in my HTPC which has a AMD A10 7850K cpu with built in R7 gpu which had alot of video stuttering issues.

Cant say as to where would be a good place to  get a gaming PC these days but def not Dell.... I've built my own since the early 90's.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »

Cyberpower configurato section lets you build exactly what you want.  Mine is three years old, and aside from having the RMA the boot drive, I've had no issues with it. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 31, 2014, 08:10:32 PM

Cyberpower configurato section lets you build exactly what you want.  Mine is three years old, and aside from having the RMA the boot drive, I've had no issues with it.  

Thanks, I have looked at it, and ruled them out for a couple of reasons. First, horrible flashy website that looks like it's 20 years old. Next, they are the worst offender at the ugly, flashy cases. However, I did look at some of their smaller/less flashy cases, but...I got lost in the choices. I don't want to choose every little detail and try to figure out what is the best, or what I need, I told you I'm a Mac guy, right? icon_lol

Every time I go to their site, I get turned off, and go someplace else.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:45:31 PM by Lee » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »

Falcon NW!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »

Talon ordered. i7, 16 GB, GTX 970 4gb, and I upped the warranty to 3 years. I probably should have just got a Mach V for the price.  icon_confused

Now what do I do with an almost 4 year old Alienware? My nephew would love it, but probably buying him a gaming laptop soon.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 31, 2014, 10:12:51 PM

Falcon NW!

Your post convinced me.  Tongue

It's been a dream to get a Falcon NW since Rich got one on Gone Gold over a decade ago. I even put Gone Gold under the "How did you hear about us?" section.

I should be getting the thing just before finals, some planning that was.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 31, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Talon ordered. i7, 16 GB, GTX 970 4gb, and I upped the warranty to 3 years. I probably should have just got a Mach V for the price.  icon_confused

I got my Talon back in February, about the same except I got a GTX780. I also went for the three year warranty icon_biggrin. I had priced a Mach V but for the same components the Talon was cheaper. I figure I'll be upgrading the video card after the warranty is over.

I forgot to mention I got Win7 64bit. It's one of the things that pushed me to getting one at that time, I wanted to avoid having to get Win8  icon_eek

I've been very happy since I've gotten mine. It's been especially good with games. For instance, when Civilization: Beyond Earth came out, lots of folks were reporting crashes. My rig ran it rock solid. That's been the story on pretty much any game I've thrown at it.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »

I did price the Mach V as well and it does end up being a lot more expensive, even though it includes the 3 year warranty. Plus not having a huge machine is important to me.

How quiet is your Talon? My current Alienware is extremely loud, I don't mind some noise, but this thing is a bit on the ridiculous side. Hoping the Talon is semi-quiet.

Looking at BenQ monitors. I am used to IPS displays from my Macs, but I guess you don't want that for gaming. Never really liked TN displays though. Maybe I should just get a Dell 4k.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 31, 2014, 11:33:34 PM

How quiet is your Talon?

My Talon sits on the floor next to my feet, about four feet from my right ear. The case cooling fans are so quiet that if I'm running a game that isn't challenging to the Nvidia GTX780 I can't hear the case cooling fans at all. If the GTX780 is being pushed, I can barely hear the card fan running. It helps that the primary drive is an SSD.

Oh, just because it will occur to someone, I'm 61 and so I probably have some high end hearing loss; still my hearing is pretty good.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 31, 2014, 10:19:11 PM

Falcon NW!

It's been a dream to get a Falcon NW since Rich got one on Gone Gold over a decade ago. I even put Gone Gold under the "How did you hear about us?" section.

You'll be really happy. Their tech support is friggin phenomenal. Seriously. Best of luck! Enjoy the shit out of that rig.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 01, 2014, 03:49:10 PM

Quote from: Lee on October 31, 2014, 10:19:11 PM

Falcon NW!

You'll be really happy. Their tech support is friggin phenomenal. Seriously. Best of luck! Enjoy the shit out of that rig.

I spec'd one out a couple of months ago and almost pulled the trigger. Would have been awesome but then my car died and my roof was destroyed in a hailstorm so that money (along with bunches more) needs to go elsewhere.  icon_cry

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 05:43:17 AM »

To bitch, since it wouldn't be me if I didn't, I don't like that there isn't an an order status page. I mean it's only been one business day since I ordered it, so I have quite a while to wait, but it would be neat to know where in the process the build is. They don't offer much in a website though, I was looking around on it last night and they were recommending Norton Anti-Virus 2010 in their FAQ section. Its a good thing they have a good reputation, off of website alone, I wouldn't be so trusting.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 04, 2014, 05:43:17 AM

To bitch, since it wouldn't be me if I didn't, I don't like that there isn't an an order status page. I mean it's only been one business day since I ordered it, so I have quite a while to wait, but it would be neat to know where in the process the build is. They don't offer much in a website though, I was looking around on it last night and they were recommending Norton Anti-Virus 2010 in their FAQ section. Its a good thing they have a good reputation, off of website alone, I wouldn't be so trusting.
Any questions, call them. They went above and beyond for me. Numerous times.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 04:03:32 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 04, 2014, 10:49:10 AM

Any questions, call them. They went above and beyond for me. Numerous times.

"Is it ready yet?"
"When is it going to ship?"
"Has it shipped yet?"

Don't think that will get me anywhere. I did email them over one thing, they replied right away. I have no doubts I will be happy with it. And I really don't have time to use the thing until December...but...shinny new toy...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 01:23:28 AM »

It shipped! Will be here Friday. Except...I have two papers to write this weekend, as well as a major macroeconomics test on Monday to study for. Damnit, I hate school. icon_cry
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 05, 2014, 04:03:32 AM

...but...shinny new toy...

Shinny? You afraid you're going to get sued?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Simpsons reference to "The Shining" halloween parody.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 04:08:18 PM »

Mixed reactions so far. As soon as I turned it on I get a message to update the video card drivers. Nvidia had upgraded the drivers two days before it shipped, so not a big deal, and I upgraded them. Except I am getting some crashes that as far as I can tell are video driver related. So maybe it's the new drivers? It may be sleep related as well. I have the computer set to sleep after an hour, and it worked the first time, but after that it would crash trying to sleep. Then that stopped, and it would sleep, but it wouldn't wake with a keyboard press. The keyboard would light up, but nothing else would happen. Thankfully pressing the power button wakes it fully. Not bad, but not normal. Sleep has always been a major issue for me on past PCs, so this is no different.

Then yesterday it crashed on loading multiple games. It's intermittent, sometimes a game will load fine, sometimes it will crash. All video card driver related as far as I can tell. Haven't called/email tech support yet, trying to narrow the problem down myself so I can provide adequate details. Odd that besides sleep issues, it worked well all weekend then started crashing yesterday. So this kind of sucks. Sure it will get fixed, but I don't want to deal with this.

I am not convinced it's not just because Windows 8 sucks as well. My Surface Pro has to be re-booted at least once a week because it will start acting flakey.

Otherwise, the computer is a speed demon. Obviously the fastest computer I have owned. Boots in seconds. Since I don't have any really modern games, I can run everything in max detail for the most part (Far Cry 3 isn't quite maxed, but close). The responsive of the thing makes it a joy to use. Love the minimalist looking case and the whole Falcon NW presentation. Disappointed with crashes, but as a long time PC user it's par for the course (that's why I am mainly a Mac user, but they are far less than perfect themselves lately).
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »

That does sound disappointing, particularly from a high-end PC boutique. With the iBuyPower machine I got I accepted that they didn't connect my second hard drive and one of the USB ports on the top of the machine doesn't always work. From places like Falcon NW/Origin PC/Alienware I would expect perfection and if not very quick resolution.

So I would be curious to hear how it goes once you talk to customer support about it.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 18, 2014, 04:08:18 PM

Mixed reactions so far.

Seriously bummed for you. I got my most recent Falcon NW in February and I'm thrilled with it. With everyone else having issues with Assassin's Creed Unity, it runs on my PC smoothly without a hitch.

Quote from: Lee on November 18, 2014, 04:08:18 PM

I am not convinced it's not just because Windows 8 sucks as well. My Surface Pro has to be re-booted at least once a week because it will start acting flakey.

Yup, that's why I ordered mine when I did, to be sure I could get Windows 7. I'd get on the phone with them to see if they have any ideas.

Also I disabled the auto sleep on mine; if I want to put it to sleep I do Window button+right arrow+right arrow+"s".

You should be able to roll back your video drivers too, I'm running a little older drivers and don't have any problems with ACU or FC4. Don't really know much about the  GTX 970 so I can't comment on it.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »

Well it seemed to clear itself up after I wrote that post. I had done reboots before, but it seems the last one cleared up any trouble (or something did it), it's been rock solid since I posted that. I give up trying to figure out computers. But anyway, I am very happy with it now, it's a pretty awesome machine.

For some reason I like Windows 8 with a mouse much better than I do on my Surface too. It's not so bad on a desktop.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: